Would You Use A Pair Of JBL E80's As Rear Surround Speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Would You Use A Pair Of JBL E80's As Rear Surround Speakers?

anox3
10-02-2007, 07:55 PM
If you wanted to upgrade your front speakers to a pair of JBL Venue Series Stadium 8-Inch 3-Way Speakers? If I am not mistaken these replaced the Northridge E90's I have the pair of E80's as my front speakers now and never got any rears for my home about 2-3 years ago. I also have a JBL center channel under my lcd. I am in need of either a new set of fronts or rear speakers. My main question are the E80's overkill for the rear channels? Irregardless I will obviously stay with JBL since I am already invested with them. I have a high powered Pioneer home theater receiver. So powering everything is not a problem. Been along time since I have had surround sound in my home and are rears primarily for just highs in a HT setup? Or will i use the woofers in a setup like this? Forgot to add I also have a Velodyne sub powering the bass. So my plan is to move the e80's to the rear and bring the stadium 8" to the front.

filecat13
10-05-2007, 09:42 PM
In current 5.1 and 7.1 systems, the surrounds and rears can have a broad spectrum of audio information. The old ProLogic systems might have been more limited in range, but not anymore. Of course in a true x.1 system, the .1 will handle the lowest frequencies for all the channels, but the mains and surrounds will still be expected to go below 500 Hz.

So, your E80s will work as surrounds, even though they may not be as space efficient or easy to place as a bookshelf or wall mount.