40GB $399 PS3 Revealed With Spiderman 3 Bundle [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 40GB $399 PS3 Revealed With Spiderman 3 Bundle

GMichael
10-02-2007, 07:54 AM
According to documents coming from Best Buy the $399 40GB PS3 with the Spiderman 3 pack-in is due to hit retail stores on October 28th.

http://www.ps3center.net/story-1009-40GB-399-PS3-Revealed-With-Spiderman-3-Bundle.html

L.J.
10-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Not bad. Wonder does it come fully loaded like the 60g. Now if you can get this deal plus the 7 free BR at Amazon.......

GMichael
10-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Time will tell. Less than a month to find out if it's true.

GMichael
10-02-2007, 01:13 PM
$399 Dollar 40GB PS3 All But Confirmed [Uros "2Lions" Jojic]
12:53 pm EDT @ October 02nd, 2007

The evidence of the upcoming release of the $399 dollar 40GB Playstation 3 is mounting. Sony is said to be making a "big announcement" on October 12 and it looks like the cheaper 40GB PS3 is it.

Listings for the new unit are popping up at online retailers (and then being removed). Stuff like internal Best Buy documents which list the new model as "PS3 40GB SPIDER" with an in-stock date of October 28. And then more PS3 model number evidence.

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=100207_12

drseid
10-03-2007, 01:21 AM
$399 Dollar 40GB PS3 All But Confirmed [Uros "2Lions" Jojic]
12:53 pm EDT @ October 02nd, 2007

The evidence of the upcoming release of the $399 dollar 40GB Playstation 3 is mounting. Sony is said to be making a "big announcement" on October 12 and it looks like the cheaper 40GB PS3 is it.

Listings for the new unit are popping up at online retailers (and then being removed). Stuff like internal Best Buy documents which list the new model as "PS3 40GB SPIDER" with an in-stock date of October 28. And then more PS3 model number evidence.

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=100207_12

Much better price point than the current models, IMO. I might just have to buy one of these when they are released...

---Dave

kexodusc
10-03-2007, 03:56 AM
Well this would signal that Sony is going to start trying to compete in the next generation console war...up until now they've just been coasting.

Ugh...I just got the Xbox 360...wonder if I can sweet talk my wife into a PS3?

GMichael
10-03-2007, 05:08 AM
Well this would signal that Sony is going to start trying to compete in the next generation console war...up until now they've just been coasting.

Ugh...I just got the Xbox 360...wonder if I can sweet talk my wife into a PS3?

Find a movie that she loves and is only available on Blu-ray. You can guess the rest.

L.J.
10-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Kex, do you plan on getting the HD-DVD add-on?

Man I wish it could decode the new audio formats. I would have been got one. Maybe you know something I don't know.

L.J.
10-03-2007, 06:23 AM
Find a movie that she loves and is only available on Blu-ray. You can guess the rest.

OK smartypants, please tell how do I get a 2nd one for the bedroom?

GMichael
10-03-2007, 06:26 AM
OK smartypants, please tell how do I get a 2nd one for the bedroom?

Hmmm.... Off the top of my head?

Let her see how great 1080p looks. Then get a 92" display for your bedroom. You can guess the rest.

emorphien
10-03-2007, 06:28 AM
This should mean good things for the PS3 finally.

I have no desire to own the system because a) it's Sony, b) there aren't any games I want and c) up until now it was absurdly expensive.

Also d) I just got a 360 and Forza 2 is consuming me.

kexodusc
10-03-2007, 06:34 AM
Kex, do you plan on getting the HD-DVD add-on?

Man I wish it could decode the new audio formats. I would have been got one. Maybe you know something I don't know.
I dunno - to be honest, there are so very few HD-DVD titles out that I really want to own or even rent (if I can even do that yet) that it just seems like a waste of time right now - maybe later when there's more out there that peaks my interest - if I could see myself renting a bunch I'd get it.
Just to own one for the sake of owning one, and being forced to watch Aeon Flux or old transfers of Full Metal Jacket just isn't inspiring.
When I can see myself using it 5-7 hrs per week regularly (without watching the same mediocre movies over and over), I'll get one. Until then, standard def is doing the job rather nicely.

I can find HD-DVD players for not much more than the add-on too...think that would be the way I'd go.

kexodusc
10-03-2007, 06:36 AM
This should mean good things for the PS3 finally.

I have no desire to own the system because a) it's Sony, b) there aren't any games I want and c) up until now it was absurdly expensive.

Also d) I just got a 360 and Forza 2 is consuming me.
Hmmm, Forza 2,eh?

L.J.
10-03-2007, 07:05 AM
I dunno - to be honest, there are so very few HD-DVD titles out that I really want to own or even rent (if I can even do that yet) that it just seems like a waste of time right now - maybe later when there's more out there that peaks my interest - if I could see myself renting a bunch I'd get it.
Just to own one for the sake of owning one, and being forced to watch Aeon Flux or old transfers of Full Metal Jacket just isn't inspiring.
When I can see myself using it 5-7 hrs per week regularly (without watching the same mediocre movies over and over), I'll get one. Until then, standard def is doing the job rather nicely.

I can find HD-DVD players for not much more than the add-on too...think that would be the way I'd go.

Makes sense. I've been running out of BR to watch lately but there seems to be a nice flow of movies coming out until the end of the year. I used to be into all types of gaming but now I just mainly play sport related games. Of the 9 PS3 games I own, 6 are sports games. Now if I was a Halo fan or something, I would most likely grab a 360. But since my main focus would be for movie playback, your points above apply to my situation nicely.

I was reading somewhere that Toshiba was offering 9 HD-DVD movies with the purchase of their new player. I also read some info about BR dropping some prices and becoming very aggressive as well. Should be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of months.

Rich-n-Texas
10-03-2007, 07:24 AM
...I would have been got one.
HUGH? WHAT? "I would have been got one"??? Good grief man! :cornut:

My sentiments exactly. And since real men play PC games (I still say console games look too juvenile for the most part), I have no need for an XBOX OR PS3. I think I'm just going to wait for Bluray to pick up speed and player prices to drop.

Just my $.02 though.

L.J.
10-03-2007, 07:31 AM
HUGH? WHAT? "I would have been got one"??? Good grief man! :cornut:

Hey, what's wrong with that?

GMichael
10-03-2007, 07:37 AM
It's the new slang Rich. We're too old to understand.

Rich-n-Texas
10-03-2007, 07:41 AM
Oh!!! Maybe I best not go down that road. ==> :biggrin5: <==

L.J.
10-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Oh!!! Maybe I best not go down that road. ==> :biggrin5: <==

OK, so I don't speak proper english. I thought this was pointed out already.

Sheeesh!!!:prrr:

GMichael
10-03-2007, 10:08 AM
OK, so I don't speak proper english. I thought this was pointed out already.

Sheeesh!!!:prrr:

You seem to speak better than most of the people in my sales team. Would you like a job?

L.J.
10-03-2007, 10:19 AM
You seem to speak better than most of the people in my sales team. Would you like a job?

No, but I would like for you to hurry up and get a PS3 so I can whoop you at some Madden. Please tell me you like sports games?

GMichael
10-03-2007, 10:33 AM
No, but I would like for you to hurry up and get a PS3 so I can whoop you at some Madden. Please tell me you like sports games?

It's hard to say. I don't have any games at this point. I used to play Pong. That was fun.

Groundbeef
10-03-2007, 11:59 AM
It's hard to say. I don't have any games at this point. I used to play Pong. That was fun.

Wow, try not to date yourself their buddy.

GMichael
10-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Wow, try not to date yourself their buddy.

I used to do THAT too. I'd call me up to see what I was doing. I'd bring flowers. Then, I'd take me to dinner, sometimes a movie. Then I'd take me back to my place for a nightcap. Then a little... you know.

Groundbeef
10-03-2007, 12:03 PM
It looks like MS also has a similar announcement to undercut the PS3 move. The XBOX 360 "Arcade" is slated to drop in Oct, and is priced at $279. Does not include a hard drive, but before the old flame guns get going, remember neither does the Wii, and its selling quite nicely.

Even without the HD, the "Arcade" can still double as a media center, access onlice content, and play all current 360 titles. I say current, as there are some rumors out there that in the future some titles will require the use of the HD.

It is aimed more at the casual gamer, and its not a bad deal. HD gaming for only $30 more than the current best selling SD console.

GMichael
10-03-2007, 12:05 PM
It looks like MS also has a similar announcement to undercut the PS3 move. The XBOX 360 "Arcade" is slated to drop in Oct, and is priced at $279. Does not include a hard drive, but before the old flame guns get going, remember neither does the Wii, and its selling quite nicely.

Even without the HD, the "Arcade" can still double as a media center, access onlice content, and play all current 360 titles. I say current, as there are some rumors out there that in the future some titles will require the use of the HD.

It is aimed more at the casual gamer, and its not a bad deal. HD gaming for only $30 more than the current best selling SD console.

Not sure why an HD is needed. To store the games on it to save load times?

emorphien
10-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Saved game data is stored on the hard drive, however IIRC much of that is backed up to your Xbox Live account so you don't need a hard drive. I think the Arcade version (if that's what they're calling it) will ship with one of the memory cards however, which can certainly store a lot of game data as well.

The HD is also good for downloading game updates as well as addons. I've downloaded extra cars for Forza 2 through Xbox Live, totaling maybe 50 or 60mb.

Groundbeef
10-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Also, if you use it as a media center, you can also store music, video, and other media on the unit itself. Without the HD you would need to stream data from your PC to play it.

I've d/l about 20 movies now, and cant do that without the HD.

emorphien
10-03-2007, 06:25 PM
I've yet to get my Xbox to network properly with my desktop (running Vista Ultimate 64). They see each other but something is interrupting their successful communication. It may be a firewall issue, I haven't worked on it much.

GMichael
10-04-2007, 05:23 AM
From this link: http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Cheaper_40GB_PS3_Spotted_at_Best_Buy_09291.ht ml

Speculations about a new model of PlayStation 3 have increased with the discovery of some secret documents from Best Buy, which indicate the upcoming arrival in the US of a 40GB, USB-less console, packed with Spiderman 3 on Blu Ray.

Gadget-oriented blog Engadget has come up with a series of secret documents from Best Buy that seem to demonstrate the future inception of a 40GB PlayStation 3 here in the US, starting late October/early November. Priced at $399.99, the new model is allegedly arriving without USB ports and has no backwards compatibility with PlayStation 2 games (not even software backwards compatibility).

The news is to be taken with a grain of salt until Sony officially confirms this- and rumor has it that they’ll be doing it on October 12, during a special press conference. Until then, there are some strong arguments in favor of this “dumbed-down” PS3:

1. The FCC filling codenamed CECHG01, which is closely related to CECHA01 and CECH01. What that means is that CECHA01 and CECH01 are the names by which Sony designates the previous two models of PS3, so CECHG01 would indicate the upcoming one.

2. Short history of Sony’s capacity of keeping secrets: even two weeks before this year’s E3 people knew about an envisioned price cut for the console. The same applies for Xbox 360’s $50 price cut operated in August, which was almost certitude a week before the official announcement from Microsoft. The recently unveiled Zune and Apple’s new line of iPods also fit into this category of products whose secrets leak faster than the speed of light.

3. And last, but not least, Sony’s need to position itself better in the mainstream console market, where it doesn’t currently have a competitor for Xbox 360 Premium or the Nintendo Wii