Rear speakers to close to wall? (HT newby) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rear speakers to close to wall? (HT newby)

jackwalker
09-30-2007, 11:55 PM
Hi,
I replaced my Jamo 28 front speakers with B&W DM610i speakers and the difference is enormous.

Question 1: Can I use the Jamo's as my rearspeakers? I'm not sure because they have a basreflex port on the backside and I need to hang them close to the wall.

Question 2: I'm looking at a new center speaker that will mach/complement the B&W frontspeakers. I'm looking at the B&W CC3, the B&W CC6 and the B&W IFS600. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much,
Jack

jim goulding
10-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Rear firing ports and close wall placement will boost bass at the cost of dimensionality. I don't know personally how important this is to rear channels but I would think that if you can get dimensionality all aorund it would be desirable. Can you stand mount you rear channel speakers? That would give them more room to do their thing and give you the adjustment you may need to fit your room. Have you listened with your new front speakers in tow with your rear speakers? If you don't hear discontinuity you may not have a problem. What am I saying . . if you had matching speakers all the way around it would be best, of course, but then dough is a consideration, right? Do you have the ability electronically to spread around or equalize the signal? A lot of members here will have more practical knowledge than me, for sure. I know a thing or two about room acoustics but don't have surrround sound. Hope this helps you somehow.

jackwalker
10-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Jim, thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately my room is not big enough for large rear speakers, the smaller the rear speakers, the better.

How important is it to have matching front/rear speakers. It was my understanding that front and center should match (same brand) and that the rear speakers are less important because they mostly produce effects.

My receiver has the ability to change the volume of the rear speakers and the center speaker, it can give me a test tone so I can hear the volume of every speaker in the system. Should I adjust the tone so it sounds equally loud from each speaker?

Any suggestions on small rear speakers that will sound good with B&W’s?

I’m from The Netherlands, Home Theatre is not as big here as in the US, it’s all surround from a box here (mostly Bose).
I have been a “stereo” enthusiast” for many years but I know nothing about surround sound. Just starting to get an understanding reading this forum.

Thanks,
Jack

gruss72
10-06-2007, 05:22 AM
Having mis-matched fronts and rears isn't a HUGE deal if its for movies. some of the effects can be a little distracting as they move around the room sinc ethe tonal qualities will be different. If you like multi channel music, it would prolly be very annoying. My old setup had mismatched fronts and rears but really for general viewing it was fine.
As far as being to close to the wall, if the speakers are set to "small" on the reciever much of the bass output will be cut off minimizing the rear firing port problems. Of course placing any speaker not designed for it close to the wall poses its own probs, but for surrounds you should be fine.