Scored some vinyl today [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Scored some vinyl today

Mr Peabody
09-29-2007, 09:22 PM
A guy at work didn't want his albums anymore, I happily volunteered to haul them off for him. I estimate there were about 250 or so. Out of that lot I have 60 that are either duplicates or what I already have or non-interest. I have a short stack of stuff I'm not really familiar with and plan to listen to before I make up my mind what to do with it. Maybe 10 or so are vinyl duplicates of stuff I have on CD that I just want to see what the vinyl version sounds like. Blood Sweat & Tears comes to mind as one.

I got some Dead, Dylan, Beatles, most of which I had no interest in buying. After a listen, I'll have to ask myself if I will ever put it on again. If not, they will go too.

Things I don't keep, I usually ship off to a record store in Kansas who sells it on consignment. Then when I get credit built up I buy things I want. Shipping costs eat into this some but because this is a pretty large town, most used record stores already have a lot of main titles and don't pay much if interested at all. Most of the vinyl I looked at in this collection was in pretty good shape but he was rough on the covers. I don't know how much this effects resale.

Anyway, I should have plenty of stuff to listen to, or feed my habit, through the winter. You know how it is when you have a large collection but can't think of anything you want to listen to, so you go buy something new.

jrhymeammo
09-30-2007, 07:26 AM
Hell Yeah!!

But forget about selling. You gotta play'em all at least once. Who knows, maybe you'll find yourself driving a VW Bus....

This could be a great excuse to get a Dynavec 10X5.....

JRA

Jim Clark
09-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Well, if you're going to ship them off to Kansas...:)

What store do you send them off too? Odds are I've at least seen some of your titles.

Nice score, btw.

Keep Jimbo in mind when you get all those Siouxsie, Smiths, & Ramones records.

jc

Mr Peabody
09-30-2007, 10:58 AM
I've been doing business with Tom at House of Sight & Sound in Salina for maybe 20 years. I used to work for a distributor and would call him to try to sell stuff. I ended up buying music from him and just continued to do so. Odd thing is, all these years and we've never met face to face. I don't see well enough to drive and just haven't been able to arrange a trip out there. Acoustic Sounds has their annual Blues Fest in Salina too. That would be the perfect weekend but it just hasn't come to pass yet. Tom is a great guy to do business with, highly trust worthy and does everything pretty much by hand. I think he does have the music ordering catalog on computer.