I want to introduce a friend to Porcupine Tree... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I want to introduce a friend to Porcupine Tree...

Finch Platte
09-29-2007, 02:44 PM
...so I'm making him a compilation.

He's into prog: Yes, ELP, Toto, Kansas, Al DiMeola, Monty Python (are they the proggers of comedy?), Jeff Beck/Jan Hammer, old (first 3 discs) Journey, etc ad nauseum soonandsoforth.

Make it easy for me, please, and suggest some toons I should put on the disc. A nice mix of old & new would be swell.

Thanks!

fp

http://www.home-of-rock.de/Konzertberichte/Porcupine_Tree/Pics/Porcupine_Tree_201.jpg

3-LockBox
09-29-2007, 07:02 PM
First off, try to keep it to just one disc.

Anyway, here's my suggestions in no particular order

What You're Listening to
Synethesia
Always Never
The Sky Moves Sideways Phase One (first four tracks or an edit thereof)
Dislocated Day or Radioactive Toy
Signify
Sleep Of No Dreaming
Sever or Waiting
Even Less
Don't Hate Me
Stranger By The Minute
Lightbulb Sun
Shesmovedon
Hatesong or Last Chance (to evacuate Earth)
Blackest Eyes
Trains
Gravity Eyelids
Nine Cats (acoustic version if you got it)
Fadeaway or Dark Matter

or something like that...hell, I might make me one

Let him buy the last two albums if he likes your comp.

ForeverAutumn
09-30-2007, 11:09 AM
I like 3LB's list, but I would have to include Piano Lessons and The Sound of Muzak.

Finch Platte
09-30-2007, 12:53 PM
I like 3LB's list, but I would have to include Piano Lessons and The Sound of Muzak.

Hey, thanks you two. I appreciate the efforts. :cornut: I'm sure he'll enjoy it. You may know him- his name is Bryan Ellendorfer, or something like that. :confused:

:wink5:

fp

ForeverAutumn
09-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Oh, he's one of those foofoo guys who thinks it's cool to spell his name with a "y". :rolleyes:

3-LockBox
09-30-2007, 06:03 PM
1. What You Are Listening To...
2. Signify
3. Even Less
4. Dislocated Day
5. Always Never
6. Lightbulb Sun
7. Blackest Eyes
8. Waiting Phase One
9. Shesmovedon
10. Last Chance To Evacuate Earth
11. Trains
12. Stranger By The Minute
13. I Find That I'm Not There
14. Wire The Drum
15. Dark Matter

Running Time - 77:23; all meticullously sequenced and transitioned

Finch Platte
09-30-2007, 06:14 PM
1. What You Are Listening To...
2. Signify
3. Even Less
4. Dislocated Day
5. Always Never
6. Lightbulb Sun
7. Blackest Eyes
8. Waiting Phase One
9. Shesmovedon
10. Last Chance To Evacuate Earth
11. Trains
12. Stranger By The Minute
13. I Find That I'm Not There
14. Wire The Drum
15. Dark Matter

Running Time - 77:23; all meticullously sequenced and transitioned

Suh-weet! What do you mean, 'transitioned'? Do you have some software that lets you segue into the next song? *jealous*

If so, I want a copy! :incazzato:

Edit: where are the last 3 cuts from?

fp

3-LockBox
09-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Suh-weet! What do you mean, 'transitioned'? Do you have some software that lets you segue into the next song? *jealous*

If so, I want a copy! :incazzato:

Edit: where are the last 3 cuts from?

fp

There's a few burn programs that let you fade and over lap the end to beginning of tracks. I also use Goldwave, which lets me do even cooler things to tracks, like precision volume level matching and mixing, like I did with the first track (I mixed parts of Bornlivedie into it). I downloaded Goldwave from the web (just google it), and while there is a shareware version of it, I paid the guy his money after using (I love it). I use to do precision edits of songs, mixing...I made an extended version of Yes' Time Is Time song from Magnification.

The last three tracks? The very last track is the last track from Signify and the previous two are from The Sky Moves Sideways. I made a pretty decent 2CD comp of PT a few years back, but you gotta be careful...you don't want an intro comp to be too daunting.

richmon
10-01-2007, 08:18 AM
Two I'd include are Russia on Ice and Arriving Somewhere but not here.

3-LockBox
10-01-2007, 04:18 PM
You may know him- his name is Bryan Ellendorfer, or something like that. :confused:

:wink5:

fp

This isn't the same Bryan E we all know and lo...

well...know anyway, is it?

Finch Platte
10-02-2007, 07:33 AM
This isn't the same Bryan E we all know and lo...

well...know anyway, is it?

That was a joke. C'mon, there's NO WAY the Bryan we know and lo... would enjoy, or even open the envelope of a PT comp.

fp

3-LockBox
10-02-2007, 10:14 AM
That was a joke. C'mon, there's NO WAY the Bryan we know and lo... would enjoy, or even open the envelope of a PT comp.

fp

My first copy of PT's Coma Divine was from him. He said it was a pos and sold it to me for 10 bucks, shipping included...which led me to seek out and purchase Signify, which at the time, was OOP ( I think I paid 15 bucks for it on e-bay).

Swish
10-03-2007, 03:41 AM
Period.

Swish