Viewing HD channels with UHF antenna??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Viewing HD channels with UHF antenna???

wmflyfisher
09-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Hey guys, I read somewhere that you can pick up local channels in HD with a UHF antenna? Anybody know anything about this? How does it work and what do I need to do to get it?? Any info would be great!

markw
09-28-2007, 12:05 PM
If your local channels broadcast in HD, it's done on a UHF channel. All you need is a HDTV with a built in ATSC tuner and a decent UHF TV antenna. Most current rooftop TV antennas already have these built in.

jrhymeammo
09-29-2007, 11:12 AM
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

Go to above site and type in your address and ZIP. It will provide you will a list of off air digital channels. I kept 5 channels out of 7, adn they all come in crystal clear.

AS MarkW mentioned, but sure that your TV has a built in HD tuner.

Peace,

Groundbeef
09-29-2007, 12:34 PM
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

Go to above site and type in your address and ZIP. It will provide you will a list of off air digital channels. I kept 5 channels out of 7, adn they all come in crystal clear.

AS MarkW mentioned, but sure that your TV has a built in HD tuner.

Peace,

If your TV doesn't have a built in tuner, you need a HD reciever to decode the signal and then send the decoded signal to your TV. They can run about $50. Or, if you have sat, your HD reciver (if you have one) should have an input for HD off-air signals. Thats how I get my locals in HD.

markw
09-29-2007, 01:35 PM
If your TV doesn't have a built in tuner, you need a HD reciever to decode the signal and then send the decoded signal to your TV. They can run about $50.To start off, you need an ATSC (digital) tuner to get an OTA digital signal, but not all ATSC tuners are capable of outputting a HD signal.

Much like all spiders are bugs but not all bugs are spiders.

I did a scan for a standalone HD tuners a few weeks ago and they all seemed to come in well over $200. A "digital" (ATSC) tuner (not HT) is a bit less.

I could always be wrong and welcome any other options.

s dog
09-29-2007, 06:13 PM
To start off, you need an ATSC (digital) tuner to get an OTA digital signal, but not all ATSC tuners are capable of outputting a HD signal.

Much like all spiders are bugs but not all bugs are spiders.

I did a scan for a standalone HD tuners a few weeks ago and they all seemed to come in well over $200. A "digital" (ATSC) tuner (not HT) is a bit less.

I could always be wrong and welcome any other options.
My brother just picked up a dvd recorder at wal-mart with a ATSC tuner built in, I wonder if it puts out HD, he does not have a hd tv to try it out on. The reason i wonder about it is because i have a HD ready tv only, And for now im useing a dish 621 hd receiver for my OTA signal, If i ever get in to a hell of a fight with dish, which im sure some day i will and tell them to come a get there stuff will something like my brother has work for OTA signal.

pixelthis
10-01-2007, 11:50 PM
My brother just picked up a dvd recorder at wal-mart with a ATSC tuner built in, I wonder if it puts out HD, he does not have a hd tv to try it out on. The reason i wonder about it is because i have a HD ready tv only, And for now im useing a dish 621 hd receiver for my OTA signal, If i ever get in to a hell of a fight with dish, which im sure some day i will and tell them to come a get there stuff will something like my brother has work for OTA signal.

A STANDARD DVD recorder can't give you a hidef recording, but a hidef converted
to standard can give a better recording.
I have the line in on my DVD recorder hooked to my cablebox, the recordings always look better than OTA off of my DVD tunrer.
I doubt if you could watch the hd tuner on your DVd player on HDTV, but I don't have much experience with these hybrid deals (zero as a matter of fact):1: