Dreaded 60hz coming from my Behringer mixer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded 60hz coming from my Behringer mixer

M4RK_23
09-27-2007, 10:57 AM
I have a Behringher BCD3000 mixer for my laptop which will someday be my primary listening source. Right now though I'm getting a 60hz hum with just the mixer on (no signal being sent to it) when I turn my receiver up to the max volume I play cd's at. It only becomes noticeable those last 10-15 db of volume. I know it's not a cable problem cause I've run other sources through the same cables. I've never run into this but I'm pretty sure a power conditioner will fix it? If so I need some recommendations on one to buy. I don't really need a big one the only thing I'll plug into in is gonna be the mixer and I guess my laptop sense they run together. The rest of my equipment is across the room so it wouldn't be feasible to run those components through it. What do you all think?

Thanks -Mark

M4RK_23
09-30-2007, 01:14 PM
I did some searching well I read the thread with guy having a ground loop problem with his record player. Think I could be having a ground loop problem? How would I determine if I was and how would I solve it?

Thanks -Mark

herm0016
09-30-2007, 02:21 PM
why do you need a mixer for your laptop audio out? have you tried just hooking your laptop up to your reciver? this will tell you if it is the laptop or the mixer.
barrenger products are not known for their quality, i would not be surprised if the mixer just has a hum, and its not a problem but a design feature. try using a ground lift on the power cord also.

M4RK_23
10-03-2007, 04:22 PM
I got the mixer for the DAC my 1/8 pin from the laptop sounds horrible. The mixer sounds fine except for the hum. My whole reason for this is so I can have all my music on my laptop and not have to go change cd's all the time. Having the mixer is a plus 4 DJing parties. I could use an external sound card/DAC with the mixer but this setup is already slowing up the laptop too much as is. The hum is definitely coming from the mixer it hums with nothing plugged into it. Whats a ground lift one of those adapters that eliminates the ground pin I assume.

herm0016
10-07-2007, 12:20 PM
the little adaptore things that go from a 2 pin cord to a 3 pin cord on your power. i have to use them on all my stuff, my house only has 2 wire outlets. you can get then just about anywhere for about a buck.

M4RK_23
10-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Ok I'll give that a try but if that doesn't fix it do you think a power conditioner would get rid of it or is it more likely a problem with the mixer? Is there anyway to figure it out without buying a conditioner?

Thanks -Mark

M4RK_23
10-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Grrrr it's coming from my laptop. I'm gonna load up traktor on a friends laptop and see if his does it also. It comes through the usb cable that goes to the mixer removing the ground from either laptop or mixer does nothing. I turned my reciever all the way up but didn't play anything and you can hear the HDD starting and stoping through my speakers. Looks like I'm gonna be in for a new laptop.

Corto Maltese
10-13-2007, 04:44 AM
Laptop has number of things running at the same time, and most likely you are getting that ugly 60 from the cooling fan(s). You could try to go into it and isolate source by systematic ellimination (sounds to me you are already doing it with external components). Howerever, I doubt that your search would give you a pleasure of any kind, including happy ending...
Consider nice transport, which would read DVDs with .mp3 and othr file formats.
Good luck.