Should never have left the crystal lake... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Should never have left the crystal lake...

Davey
02-26-2004, 12:11 PM
for areas where trees are fake
and dogs are dead with broken hearts
collapsing by the coffee carts.
The crystal lake it only laughs
it knows you're just a modern man
it's shining like a chandelier
shining somewhere far away from here

I've gotta get out of here...
And find my way again.
I've lost my way again.

Oh boyo, that's a good song! Might be my favorite Grandaddy tune. But the big dealio was that it was released as the first (only?) single from The Sophtware Slump, and included on that single was one of their other best songs, Our Dying Brains. Both totally drenched in those loveable old analog synths. What a great pair of tunes. I put "Our Dying Brains" on a sweet little comp I did last year called Naked, If I Want To, but never used "The Crystal Lake" on anything. Used two other songs from that album on a few comps, but not my favorite. So I've had this little comp on my computer for a few weeks, and one of the reasons I made it was to put both Grandaddy's "The Crystal Lake" and Yo La Tengo's "Sugarcube" on the same comp. Two of my favorite pure pop tunes of the modern era. So I made a fun little 60 minute comp with "The Crystal Lake" as the second song and "Sugarcube" as the second to last song. And I had just been enjoying it sporadically on my computer, thinking it was probably just a one-off, but then finally picked up a stack of CD-Rs yesterday (BTW, OfficeMax has a 100 pk of Memorex for $20 - instant rebate, no mail-in rebate required, although they did give me a rebate form so I don't know what's up with that) and figured I would go ahead and burn a copy and listen to it on the big rig and it is a fun comp. Really comes alive on a real stereo. So I figured I would throw my CRS nominations on the end and send a copy to JDaniel for the next CRS, and just the 1-hour version to Jar who already asked for a copy in exchange for his "Sugarcube" comp, but if anyone else would like one just let me know. Nothing groundbreaking, just some fun tunes. No idea if it's a very good comp or not, but happy to send out a few copies. Kinda spans the nineties with a good dose of brit-pop and American indie pop but makes it all the way to the present with the only CD I have from 2004, some Swedish pop via the Moonbabies with a rocking little sugar-coated tune. I think the La's CD takes it all the way back to 1990, with Luna close behind at 1992. And kind of a cool electronica type interlude in the middle to brings in the French and Germans :)

<b>Radio K-Dave</b>

Frank Black And The Catholics - Bullet <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> Dog in the Sand
Grandaddy - The Crystal Lake <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> The Sophtware Slump
Moonbabies - Sun A.M. <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> The Orange Billboard
Head of Femur - Me, My Dad, My Cousin, and...Ronnie <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> Ringodom or Proctor
Luna - Slash Your Tires <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> Lunapark
Ash - Girl From Mars <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> Intergalactic Sonic 7"s
Hector Zazou - Adventures In The Scandinavian Skin Trade <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> Songs from the Cold Seas
Kreidler - Au-Pair <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> Appearance and the Park
Blur - Girls & Boys <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> Parklife
The La's - Timeless Melody <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> The La's
Shack - I Want You <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> HMS Fable
The Libertines - The Good Old Days <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> Up the Bracket
The Wedding Present - Suck <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> Seamonsters
Yo La Tengo - Sugarcube <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> I can hear the heart beating as one
Idlewild - Live in a Hiding Place <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> The Remote Part

Snowbunny
02-26-2004, 12:36 PM
<b>Radio K-Dave</b>

Frank Black And The Catholics - Bullet <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> Dog in the Sand
Grandaddy - The Crystal Lake <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> The Sophtware Slump
Moonbabies - Sun A.M. <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> The Orange Billboard
Head of Femur - Me, My Dad, My Cousin, and...Ronnie <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> Ringodom or Proctor
Luna - Slash Your Tires <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> Lunapark
Ash - Girl From Mars <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> Intergalactic Sonic 7"s
Hector Zazou - Adventures In The Scandinavian Skin Trade <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> Songs from the Cold Seas
Kreidler - Au-Pair <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> Appearance and the Park
Blur - Girls & Boys <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> Parklife
The La's - Timeless Melody <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> The La's
Shack - I Want You <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> HMS Fable
The Libertines - The Good Old Days <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> Up the Bracket
The Wedding Present - Suck <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> Seamonsters
Yo La Tengo - Sugarcube <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> I can hear the heart beating as one
Idlewild - Live in a Hiding Place <i><font size="-1">from<font></i> The Remote Part[/QUOTE]

Okay, I'll take one. If only to keep you from getting all whiney like Sloshy. ;)
I'm intrigued by The Wedding Present. Is that the name of the band?

Snowbuns

Jim Clark
02-26-2004, 12:39 PM
That Grandaddy toon is a keeper and I wish there was more of that kind of sound on the newer album.

Sun A.M. is without question the crown jewel from that Moonbabies album, so much so that I used it in a little comp I made for myself so I can hear it over and over. Now I may go bust out that Yo La Tengo album!

jc

tentoze
02-26-2004, 12:56 PM
That Grandaddy toon is a keeper and I wish there was more of that kind of sound on the newer album.

Sun A.M. is without question the crown jewel from that Moonbabies album, so much so that I used it in a little comp I made for myself so I can hear it over and over. Now I may go bust out that Yo La Tengo album!

jc
Sure is good to see some COMP talk in here for a change...........

:D

Snowbunny
02-26-2004, 04:24 PM
That's it, Honeybear! From now on I'm gonna capture your posts in my own to keep you from deleting your responses! You're a very bad boy!

Snowbunny - I gots the summer mange!

Mike
02-27-2004, 03:02 AM
Some of my faves from Blur, Grandaddy and The La's mixed in with some newer stuff I would like to hear.

Do you fancy throwing one over the water?

Have you heard Damien Rice 'O' it came out last year but has just been re-released very acoustic folk, Nick Drake-ish

Cheers
Mike

Ex Lion Tamer
02-27-2004, 05:54 AM
Some of my faves from Blur, Grandaddy and The La's mixed in with some newer stuff I would like to hear.

My sentiments exactly.

Do you fancy throwing one over the water?

...or over the border? :)

Thanks Davey

ForeverAutumn
02-27-2004, 07:14 AM
Those lyrics have made me very curious to hear the song. Good marketing! :)

I would like to try another Davey-comp. If you don't mind.

Thanks!

Davey
02-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Hey, not a bad response. Now what am I gonna whine about? Looks like 5 copies will be heading out soon in addition to the two I already mentioned in the post. That's JDaniel, Jar, Summermangebunny, Mike from York, Ex Gay Lion Tamer, Wishing it Was Still Autumn, and one other behind the scenes mystery guy. Might even have to come up with a decent name for it now :)

Anyway, thanks for the interest and should have them out by sometime next week. <i>Should never have left the crystal lake, for parties full of folks who flake
</i>

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/funinthesun600.jpg