Np? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Np?

Mr MidFi
09-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Just curious. What song is playing right this second?

NP: Interpol, "The New"

audiobill
09-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Np., Loudon Wainwright's "Glad To See You've Got Religion".... right this moment!!!

Olivertmc
09-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Genesis - Firth of the Fifth from Seconds Out

Getting ready for the concert tomorrow night at Giants Stadium!

Jim Clark
09-26-2007, 01:02 PM
OMG - it's terrrible whatever it is. To keep the false gods of the recording industry happy I have to pump in music over a DBX system. 101 channels of complete and utter crap. Even if they do manage to play a decent song on occasion they play it to death. Imagine hearing Rock and Roll Highschool 10 times in one work day. Chemical Bros. Block Rockin' beats lose a lot of appeal the 7'th or 8'th time around. Somebody needs to tell the PTB at this company that the Arcade Fire has more than ONE SONG!

Consider yourself lucky.

One the way home I have an advance copy of Beirut's "The Flying Club Cup". Don't know a thing about the band but the price was right and I figure it's worth trying.

jc

Slosh
09-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Find The River (DVD-Audio)

Hyfi
09-26-2007, 04:20 PM
When You Give Your Love To Me

Kevin Gilbert- Thud

Pandora Rocks!

3-LockBox
09-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Alan Morse - Four O'clock And Hysteria

Great fusion style jazz/rock ala Dixie Dregs mixed in with some '80s-ish arena rock ala Derek Sherinian or Billy Sherwood. Not what I expected from this guy at all and I'm not a fan of instrumental rock albums at all. Some of it is territory already well covered by other guitarist, but its mostly a very entertaining listen. Some fellow Spock's Beard mates help out, including Neal, but don't expect anything in the way of prog.

bobsticks
09-26-2007, 05:45 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CpL6EWpM6oo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CpL6EWpM6oo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Of course, it sounds better with stats

noddin0ff
09-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Cat Power: The Moon

Rae
09-27-2007, 07:56 AM
NP: Vampire Hands - "Opium Typhoon"

nobody
09-27-2007, 08:03 AM
Social Distortion: Bad Luck

Ex Lion Tamer
09-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Ten Feet Tall - The Flaming Stars (off of Ginmill Perfume) Cool song, cool album.

basite
09-27-2007, 09:15 AM
NP:
Johnny Guitar Watson - Nothing left to be desired, from the album "a real mother"

but guys, don't we already have a thread very similar to this one?

Davey
09-27-2007, 12:02 PM
http://www.pastrysharp.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/califone1.jpg

"The Eye You Lost in the Crusades" by Califone.

No news to the regulars around here, but these guys are pretty special to me. And that last record was very special too. Easily one of my very favorites from last year. Chock full of weird but lovable goodness. Only downer about it was that they had 1000 copies of the vinyl with the hand silkscreened cover available before the CD hit, and I ordered early, but never got it. Guess I missed. But ordered it again recently now that it's more readily available. Just the standard printed cover, I'm sure, but a great recording on the CD even if a touch loud, and supposed to be very excellent on the heavy vinyl according to Mikey ...

Oldsters will remember the grey Califone record player trotted out by teach during A/V augmented teaching lesson, so clearly these guys have vinyl on their minds, and when this album was first issued Fall of 2006, it came in a limited to 1000 vinyl edition with a gorgeous hand silkscreened cover by Gina Kelly at Weathermaker press in L.A. (I think in her kitchen, actually) that quickly sold out. That’s correct: 1000 copies of the obsolete format snapped right up away.

I guess bandleader Tim Rutili or Thrill Jockey convinced Ms. Kelly to silkscreen another 1000 because that cover also came with the second pressing and you won’t find it on the CD. I doubt you’ll find the stunningly three-dimensional, dynamic sound on the CD either. Man, is this recording sensational!

http://www.musicangle.com/album.php?id=539

Mr MidFi
09-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Social Distortion: Bad Luck

Ha! Great song...and it just played here about an hour ago, while our resident dumbass was standing in my office and pontificating on some nonsense. I told him to shut his hole until the song was over.

NP: "Goddess on the Highway" by Mercury Rev

Slosh
09-28-2007, 07:31 AM
first spin for this 'un:

Davey
09-28-2007, 08:10 AM
Just got Joe Henry's new Civilians a couple days ago, and really sinking in fast. Great record. Right now listening to the one he wrote with Loudon Wainwright III, "You Can't Fail Me Now". Beautiful song. Also appears on Wainwright's new Strange Weirdos, sung of course by LW there instead of JH, but recorded with JH and some of this great cast of musicians. Love that steel guitar. Nothing yet that totally knocks me out the way he's done to me in the past, thinking "Like She Was A Hammer", or "Richard Pryor Addresses A Tearful Nation", but very high quality work here.

The state of love is a smudge on my brow :)

Davey
09-28-2007, 08:16 AM
first spin for this 'un: Shambling Heroin Babies

kinks or clash? heroin free?

Slosh
09-28-2007, 08:36 AM
kinks or clash?Both!
heroin free?Where? :D

NP:

3-LockBox
09-28-2007, 01:59 PM
<OBJECT height=350 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CpL6EWpM6oo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></OBJECT></P>
Of course, it sounds better with stats

Been a while since I heard that....wasn't that old dude the 'school master' from The Wall?

Slosh
09-29-2007, 04:18 AM
Wow! This new Babyshambles album is seriously fu<a>cking great. The first half is especially awesome, with one killer song after another. The second half drops off a bit; they're still very good songs but in relation to that first half it seems weaker than it actually is.

This kinda came out of left-field for me. I like last year's The Blinding EP and all but Shotter's Nation is an entirely different animal. The EP is sorta loose and meandering but fun while the new album is focused and well-crafted, without losing the spirit of their other work.

If Give The People What They Want-era Kinks were a punk band this is pretty much the sound you would expect. That's not to say that this is a punk album, it isn't. It's all about catchy pop songs with a bit of a punk edge. No doubt this is gonna knock something out of my top 10 of '07 list.

audiobill
09-29-2007, 06:42 AM
Jonathan Rice's great new song "Further North". RIYL Tom Petty, Neil Young,

Really grooving on this new album.

Cheers,

audiobill

3-LockBox
09-29-2007, 12:31 PM
NP: Enchant's 2003 album, Tug Of War...its the best Kansas album in 25 years.

Davey
10-10-2007, 12:18 PM
"The Eye You Lost in the Crusades" by Califone.

No news to the regulars around here, but these guys are pretty special to me. And that last record was very special too. Easily one of my very favorites from last year. Chock full of weird but lovable goodness. Only downer about it was that they had 1000 copies of the vinyl with the hand silkscreened cover available before the CD hit, and I ordered early, but never got it. Guess I missed. But ordered it again recently now that it's more readily available. Just the standard printed cover, I'm sure, but a great recording on the CD even if a touch loud, and supposed to be very excellent on the heavy vinyl according to Mikey ...

Hah! I was wrong, got myself the silkscreened cover, and a cool looking bunny to boot! Who says the good guys always finish last? http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/califone.jpg

Obviously truncated to my scanner size. BTW, did I mention yet that the Magnolia Electric Co. pine box kicks ass? At least the two full band CDs that I've listened to a few times so far. Very cool package. Even comes with a heavy metal medallion. Whassup with that? Kinda reminds me of disco days :)

3-LockBox
10-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

Mike
10-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Faithless/Cat Power - A Kind of Peace, it's a track from their last album which was so so, but this track is a gem. Love Cat's laid back vocals which just oozes out the speakers.

As for Babyshambles, for once the critics are right this is a solid album worthy of a top ten place in anybodys collection. Doherty is a twat not unlike Amy Winehouse but they both make great sounds.

Cheers
Mike

3-LockBox
10-17-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm having a Built to Spill day

You In Reverse (good)
Ancient Melodies Of The Future (great)
Keep It Like, you know, A Secret (spectacular)
Perfect From Now On (meh...)

Mr MidFi
10-26-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm tracking The Jayhawks' Hollywood Town Hall right now. Every now and then, I get to rediscover this gem. A thoroughly enjoyable listen, with a nicely autumnal feel that seems right on the money for late October.

Anyone else love this one?

ForeverAutumn
10-26-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm tracking The Jayhawks' Hollywood Town Hall right now. Every now and then, I get to rediscover this gem. A thoroughly enjoyable listen, with a nicely autumnal feel that seems right on the money for late October.

Anyone else love this one?

I don't know it. I'm not listening to anything at this specific moment, but earlier today I was listening to The Decemberists and Of Montreal. Two bands whose disks I picked up during a recent trip to the US of A. There will be another post about Of Montreal later. I don't have time right now. Look forward to it...

:wink5:

-Jar-
10-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Hey that's the same guy that played the schoolmaster in The Wall.

Mr MidFi
10-29-2007, 05:46 AM
Hey that's the same guy that played the schoolmaster in The Wall.

Um...who? What?

Ex Lion Tamer
10-29-2007, 09:09 AM
Just popped in Tindersticks - Can Our Love, great album my favorite of theirs (that I have, which is omprised of Tindersticks and Tindersticks II).

Before that I was listening to Boxer, (The National), very nice first impression it made too, (great drumming).

Getting ready to go see Control tonight, which is getting really good reviews. Anyone here seen it yet?

Lots of new (to me) stuff to listen to in the coming days so I should be contributing to this thread quite a bit this week.

jasn
10-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Title track to Riverside: Second Life Syndrome.

Ex Lion Tamer
10-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Now it's Ugly Casanova's album - havenÈt heard this Modest Mouse off shoot in a long while. Weird! Wild! Fun!

bobsticks
10-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Before that I was listening to Boxer, (The National), very nice first impression it made too, (great drumming).

That's a good one as is Alligator. Based on that I'd say if you heaven't picked up any Songs:Ohia you should.You'll likey veddy much.

Ex Lion Tamer
10-29-2007, 08:00 PM
That's a good one as is Alligator. Based on that I'd say if you heaven't picked up any Songs:Ohia you should.You'll likey veddy much.

Thanks for the tip. I do have - and really like - Didn't it Rain and Magnolia Electric Company, though at times I can find Jason's voice a little over wrought. And I don't have Alligator but I do have Cherry Tree, and after another listen I think I will end up liking Boxer more - seems to have a little more dynamics and variations to their patented sound.

Now up is Radiohead's new album. I likey better than Hail to the thief and almost as much as Kid A.

Slosh
11-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Who's keeping track of this? :rolleyes:

NP: