Austin City Limits schedule for this fall.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Austin City Limits schedule for this fall..

-Jar-
09-26-2007, 04:52 AM
Get yer Tivo's programmed, looks like some good stuff this season:

Austin City Limits:

10-06 Norah Jones
10-13 The Decemberists/Explosions in the Sky
10-20 Femi Kuti
10-27 Jimmy Reed Highway: Jimmie Vaughan and Friends
11-03 Wilco
11-10 Arcade Fire
11-17 Brad Paisley/Dierks Bentley
11-24 Van Morrison (Encore)
12-01 Gretchen Wilson/Miranda Lambert (Encore)
12-08 Ladysmith Black Mambazo (Encore)
12-15 John Mayer
12-22 Lucinda Williams/Old Crow Medicine Show
12-29 Bloc Party/Ghostland Observatory
01-05 Crowded House/Grupo Fantasma
01-12 Regina Spektor /Paolo Nutini
01-19 Roky Erickson/Kings of Leon
01-26 ACL PRESENTS: The Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival

check your local PBS schedule..

Jim Clark
09-26-2007, 06:54 AM
Of course everyone is gonna have their fave, but I'm telling you now, don't miss the Arcade Fire. Just a pure pleasure to watch. What really impressed me was that after a song the band just will kind of rotate positions and play a different instrument. Never seen anything like it. Plus I like the music a whole lot. Tons of passion and intensity that really comes across on the stage.

jc

Mr MidFi
09-26-2007, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I'm definitely marking that 11/10 date on my calendar too. And I think it goes without saying that 11/03 is right up there for me as well.

Luvin Da Blues
09-26-2007, 07:34 AM
Great show..thanks Jar

Of course I won't be missing Van Morrison, Jimmy & friends, John Mayer, Norah...ah what the hell am I thinking, I probably be taking in most of these shows.

-Jar-
09-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Of course everyone is gonna have their fave, but I'm telling you now, don't miss the Arcade Fire. Just a pure pleasure to watch. What really impressed me was that after a song the band just will kind of rotate positions and play a different instrument. Never seen anything like it. Plus I like the music a whole lot. Tons of passion and intensity that really comes across on the stage.

jc

Jim, have you ever seen any of their live clips on Youtube? There's this one where they're performing "Wake Up" in the middle of the lobby of the theater where they just played.. this was after the show, as sort of an encore.. They're just there playing, surrounded by a hundred or so people.. no amplification, everyone was singing along. Amazing. I'm sure the kids that were there will probably be telling their friends about that for years..

I can't wait to see them on ACL. Looks like they get the whole hour.. whoo hooo!

Take care,
Jar

SlumpBuster
09-26-2007, 08:14 AM
Whenever I see Nora Jones, I always think of this SCTV parody. One of my favorites. Eugene Levy is such an under-rated genius.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xHjXio9ywiA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xHjXio9ywiA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

dingus
09-26-2007, 01:08 PM
01-05 Crowded House
saw them in Portland, OR earlier this month, easily the best concert i've ever been to, a phenomenal performance.

Rae
09-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Wow, Roky Erickson. That should be interesting.

~Rae

Mr MidFi
09-27-2007, 01:08 PM
1/5 date for Crowded House? Nice little gift for Forever Autumn's birthday, huh?

Slosh and I won't be displeased, either.

Swish
09-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Well, maybe not dreadful, but why bother broadcasting in high def but the audio leaves a lot to be desired. Why not use Dolby Digital or something?

Anyway, don't miss Wilco. Their new guitarist, well, not so new any longer, Nels Cline, is a freak. I really like his style, which is anything but mainstream. I have the DVD from the Sky Blue Sky Special Edition package, and his soloing in 'Impossible Germany' is totally smokin' hot. I would bet they'll play that on ACL, so miss it at your peril.

I'm sure some of the alt-country and Left Coasters are familiar with Nels from his work with Geraldine Fibbers, Willie Nelson, Sonic Youth, and a bunch of others in jazz, rock, and what not. Hard to believe he's 51 because he doesn't look it or act it.

Swish

Slosh
09-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Well, maybe not dreadful, but why bother broadcasting in high def but the audio leaves a lot to be desired. Why not use Dolby Digital or something?
Huh? Dolby Digital is the audio standard for ATSC. ACL always sounds great here, in spite of Dolby Digital being a lossy format. Often it is in 5.1 too. Maybe it's your local PBS station. I get WVIA out of Scranton, and the HD picture quality is consistently better than the local Bethlehem HD PBS station (because VIA uses the full alloted bandwidth for HD).

But definitely a lot of good shows airing this year. This is by far the best live music show on TV. I only wish they had more than an hour.

NP:

Swish
09-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Huh? Dolby Digital is the audio standard for ATSC. ACL always sounds great here, in spite of Dolby Digital being a lossy format. Often it is in 5.1 too. Maybe it's your local PBS station. I get WVIA out of Scranton, and the HD picture quality is consistently better than the local Bethlehem HD PBS station (because VIA uses the full alloted bandwidth for HD).

But definitely a lot of good shows airing this year. This is by far the best live music show on TV. I only wish they had more than an hour.

NP:

..and you're probably right...it's the PBS station I get out of Harrisburg. The HD is excellent for sure, but the audio is whole 'nother story. I didn't stop to think that different PBS stations would have a different format.

Thanks for rubbing it in.

Swish