JVC HR-S3800U question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : JVC HR-S3800U question

Ballings88
09-26-2007, 12:28 AM
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL022170&pathId=49&page=1&archive=true

I have run into an audio problem on play-back on this VCR, and the other VCR I use. After recording something on the JVC above, on play-back the sound is noticably lower than before this problem, and is only adjustable to a limited level. The sound being not quite satisfactory, and not ideal at all This has come up since 3-4 weeks ago, and was not a problem before. Are the audio heads and/or plugs starting to fade? Is something set wrong on the VCR or VCR menu? I have tried adjusting things and nothing has changed.

The picture is fine, it's the audio on play-back from recording that is a problem. There isn't a problem with the other VCR I use, which is part of a DVD/VCR player/recorder. Things record and play-back fine on there, when I use the latter VCR to record.

Not sure how old the JVCR HRS3800U, but it says copyright 2000 on the users manual. I'd guess some years now, if not 7.

If I replace the JVC HR S3800U, with a different VCR, will that fix things?

I use a sony surround sound system as well. But that hasn't been a problem before, and shouldn't matter.

mikemorrow
09-26-2007, 07:33 AM
I hate to tell you, but the VCR has gone the way of the cassette deck. It is time to upgrade.

kelsci
09-26-2007, 10:33 AM
If this is a hi-fi vcr, one of your menus may indicate stereo or SAP choice. Be sure it is set to STEREO. For output, be sure it is set to HI-FI and be sure the machine is outputting in the HI-FI mode and tracking HI-FI. If it is outputting Linear, it is very possible that the audio would be much lower.

Ballings88
09-26-2007, 12:19 PM
If this is a hi-fi vcr, one of your menus may indicate stereo or SAP choice. Be sure it is set to STEREO. For output, be sure it is set to HI-FI and be sure the machine is outputting in the HI-FI mode and tracking HI-FI. If it is outputting Linear, it is very possible that the audio would be much lower.

Yes it is a Hi-Fi VCR.

Would I go to check that on the "function" section of the menu?

In the function section, audio options, as is:

Audio monitor: HiFi (other options include Hi-fi L, Hi-fi R, normal, mix)

2nd-audio record: on (other option is off)

AV compu link: on (other option is off)

--------------

I don't know of anything there on the VCR about linear or tracking.

Or would there be something to check with the A/V plugs in the back of the VCR?

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HRS3800U-4-Head-S-VHS-VCR/dp/B00005T3HT - more info on it.

kelsci
09-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Hi Ballings88: Luckily, the manual for your machine was in pdf form on the jvc america website. If you do not have that manual, I suggest downloading it into your computer and a e-mail folder as a back-up.

What you are looking for in a menu in the function menu is 2nd audio record. You want that set to OFF.

Your audio monitor should be set to HIFI. Normal would only play a linear track. A linear track is the basic non- hi-fi track orginally put in all vhs vcrs. Your machine is desgined to play HiFi as well as tapes that ONLY had a linear track as well, most of which were monophonic. For example, I made tapes on a linear vhs machine in 1982. Those tapes would play back on your machine automatically in linear sound.

Try running a dry head cleaner through your machine.

Check to see that all wires in and out of the rear of the machines audio/video inputs are tight.

You have a few ways of recording onto various types of tapes. I believe this machine allowed you to record in S-VHS mode on standard tapes as well as to record S-VHS on S-VHS emulsion tapes.

Set your vcr to a station and monitor its audio output of your vcr through your stereo receiver. Take a blank tape or blank segment of tape and record a segment in standard vhs and then in S-VHS. Play them back and see if your audio is at least not equal or higher than the audio you were monitoring from the station and see what kind of result you have gotten.

If everything is set right:

Is your machine hooked into a stereo reciever

By the way, I still use vhs hi-fi machines for time shifting of programs because they are useful for that purpose and play back stuff that is 25 years old on my tapes.

Ballings88
09-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Yeah I have the manual, I've read through parts of it.

Your audio monitor should be set to HIFI.

Check. As it's been.

Normal would only play a linear track. A linear track is the basic non- hi-fi track orginally put in all vhs vcrs. Your machine is desgined to play HiFi as well as tapes that ONLY had a linear track as well, most of which were monophonic. For example, I made tapes on a linear vhs machine in 1982. Those tapes would play back on your machine automatically in linear sound.

I see.

Try running a dry head cleaner through your machine.

Well, I have used a memorex VCR head cleaner w/ solution. Didn't change the audio, probably relating to something else for what needs to be done.

You have a few ways of recording onto various types of tapes. I believe this machine allowed you to record in S-VHS mode on standard tapes as well as to record S-VHS on S-VHS emulsion tapes.

Yeah I just use VHS mode. Because the other VCR I use is where I watch more stuff, and it doesn't play S-VHS tapes. I use the JVC for certain regular recording, because of channels being available on that TV, rather than basic cable on the TV with DVD/VCR recorder/player.

Is your machine hooked into a stereo reciever

It is connected into a Sony surround sound system. But that hasn't been a problem in the past, and have re-plugged the a/v plugs going from the JVC to the Sony SS. It shouldn't matter, and have the Sony SS set to what I've always done or not even on.

What you are looking for in a menu in the function menu is 2nd audio record. You want that set to OFF.

Set your vcr to a station and monitor its audio output of your vcr through your stereo receiver. Take a blank tape or blank segment of tape and record a segment in standard vhs and then in S-VHS. Play them back and see if your audio is at least not equal or higher than the audio you were monitoring from the station and see what kind of result you have gotten.

Check to see that all wires in and out of the rear of the machines audio/video inputs are tight.

I will go do these things now, and use the head cleaner again.

Set your vcr to a station and monitor its audio output of your vcr through your stereo receiver.

How exactly would I do that? I thought I just put a channel on from the TV, turn the VCR on, and press record. Or does it have to be in either VCR or TV mode when recording?

Ballings88
09-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Okay, here's what I did...

1. Made sure the A/V plugs were in right in the back of the VCR, and in the back of the Sony SS.

2. Used the head cleaner. I also used it a few days ago, so it only went for 5 seconds and the VCR turned off. Assuming that means it's been done both times.

3. Turned 2nd audio record OFF.

4. Left the audio monitor on Hi-Fi as was.

5. Put the channel on from the TV.

6. Put in the tape, pressed record, recorded for around a minute and a half on blank tape. As well as recorded on a part of something already on the tape (had no blanks).

7. Went and played two sets of recordings on the DVD/VCR recorder/player, and the sound was still the same as I've described. Limited and noticably lower than it should be, and in the past before this problem. This is also the same on playing back on the JVC VCR.

Having the VCR on TV or VCR mode doesn't matter here, because I've tried it in both modes, and the problem was there. As well as blank tape or recording over something.

This is the 4th or 5th time I've tried things out, come back unsuccessful each time. Should I just use a different VCR than the JVC S-VHS ET HRS3800U, which is new or hasn't been used nearly as much?

kelsci
09-27-2007, 07:26 AM
The only thing that may be going on here is a possible power supply problem in the audio section of the vcr. The question is whether it is in the record and/or playback section. If you have another hi-fi vcr, you can take the test tape you made on the jvc and play it back in the other machine. If it plays low, you would know that there is a problem in the recording end of the JVC. If you have tapes that use to play loud in the JVC and they now play at a lower volume, you defintely have a problem in the audio playback section of the vcr. It would be up to you to decide at this point whether to replace the machine with another hi-fi vcr or go with a dvd recorder that can record off the air.

Ballings88
09-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Well most of the time I/I've played my recorded stuff on the DVD/VCR player/recorder, which has a Hi-Fi VCR in it. I've tried a couple times (when the problem has been present) to play stuff recorded on the JVC, and the sound problem has been there as well.

So whatever has been recorded on that JVC, has been a problem on both VCRs.

From what you said, and from what I've been trying, I'd guess that's what it is too. The audio in the recording on the JVC is fading.

So eventually I'll replace the JVC S-VHS with another VCR. That should do it.

Thanks for your help.

kelsci
09-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Hi Ballings; You are lucky that you had a a spare vcr to make that test. Unquestionably, there is a problem in the audio recording section of the jvc vcr and like you say it is fading. Usually, audio would either work or just poop out completely. If you make a recording from the other vcr and put it into the jvc and play that back and it plays low then the playback audio section of that jvc is also affected. Thus while the machine may be good videowise, audiowise makes it useless and thus replacing it is necessary..

You are quite welcome for the help I have given you.

Woochifer
09-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Sounds like the exact same thing that happened to our JVC VCR a few years ago. For whatever reason, the hi-fi track crapped out on the VCR and could only read the much more limited range linear tracks thereafter. Unfortunately, we have a library of S-VHS recordings that don't play well on regular VCRs, and we still use the VCR for recording and archiving, so we needed to find another S-VHS model.

If you're looking for a S-VHS VCR, the only options nowadays come from JVC, and we wound up having to buy another JVC (it has worked fine so far). Since JVC developed VHS, they will stick with the format until demand totally dies out. You won't find S-VHS VCRs at most electronics stores, so you might have to mail order or look for a more dedicated electronics vendor that still carries a decent selection of VCRs (like Fry's Electronics).

If you're looking for maximum video quality, you could go with D-VHS, which can record in HD resolution. Even now, it's the only affordable consumer-class archiving format in HD resolution. JVC makes a D-VHS model, and so does Mitsubishi (I believe that Panasonic does as well). I've seen prices on some of these VCRs dip down to around $300 and they have tank-like construction, so if you're looking for something to handle a varied VHS library before high end VCRs disappear altogether, this could be a good option.

Otherwise, if you don't have any S-VHS recordings (which may or may not play on standard VCRs), and just want something to play your library recordings, pretty much any VCR nowadays will work. Just don't expect them to last long, since they are priced and built to be disposable commodity products.