Is St. Anger really that bad? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is St. Anger really that bad?

Mr Peabody
09-25-2007, 06:54 PM
I can't think of any new release getting as much negative feedback as St. Anger did when it dropped. Usually if an album is bad, you just don't hear nothing from it, it may go without being noticed. But I even heard DJ's talk this album down. Of course, nothing was played to back it up. I'm just curious as to what this album sounds like and what Metallica could have possibly done to get such a backlash. So please clue me in.

bobsticks
09-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Monkey-boy Robert Trujillo's bass playing is over-the-top and not in a good way. Lars still sounds like he's beating on tupperware. Technical progression for Kirk means playing the same phrygian riffs sloppier and sloppier. James shares the tired pompous and pontificating introspection of a guy who drank 100 million dollars of Jagermeister.

Is St. Anger really that bad? ...Yes.

PeruvianSkies
09-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Monkey-boy Robert Trujillo's bass playing is over-the-top and not in a good way. Lars still sounds like he's beating on tupperware. Technical progression for Kirk means playing the same phrygian riffs sloppier and sloppier. James shares the tired pompous and pontificating introspection of a guy who drank 100 million dollars of Jagermeister.

Yeah and if you see the film SOME KIND OF MONSTER you begin to understand just how dysfunctional this band has become, in both their professional and personal lives.

Wireworm5
09-25-2007, 08:45 PM
I guess I'm alone on this one. I read alot of the negative feedback on amazon about this album. I'm not a hardcore headbanger, not to be confused with hard rock. But I actually like a few of the songs on the album.
IMO I thought this was one of the best rock recordings that I heard played on my system at the time. Although the drums are tuned odd, and that takes getting use to, very few if any recordings that I've come across capture the drums so well without drowning out the rest of the instruments. And I thought the bass playing was awesome.
Wondering why everyone was saying this sounded like a garage band. I did a little experiment. I hooked my Cerwin Vega speakers up to my Sony receiver to get a ghetto blaster sound. And there it was !! It sounded like crap.
So I conclude that this recording was made for high fidelity and not mass market systems.
Hey you still might think the music sucks, but the recording is one of the best IMO of metal rock.

3-LockBox
09-25-2007, 10:01 PM
I don't hate it, but my indifference for this album is prolly influenced by the documentary Some Kind Of Monster, where Ulrich and Hetfield proved to be some kind of arseholes. I'm amazed any of them can still talk to one another. It has becaome a business to them, a grind, and it shows on the album I think. Yes its a competant release, but passionless.

-Jar-
09-26-2007, 05:05 AM

Except that Bob Rock played bass. Trujillo wasn't hired until the album was in the can.

There was a joke on the Metallica website recently about recording their new album.. something about Kirk actually played some solos and Lars remembered to turn his snare on.

They were addressing complaints that there were no solos on ST. ANGER (fine by me, I don't care for most solos) and Lars' snare drum sounded like someone was beating on a garbage can.. (it has that "ringing" sound that Helmet had on BETTY courtesy of Andy Wallace - but more exaggerated). Actually, I kind of liked what I heard from it, but I haven't heard the whole album. I like simple, groovy riffs, and sloppiness doesn't really bug me. It wasn't AND JUSTICE or MOP and it wasn't LOAD either. They tried something different. The thing that got me was that their fans just didn't like it, it was like each of them were personally offended.. like "HOW DARE KIRK NOT PLAY ANY SOLOS FOR ME" - I just remember thinking.. um, it's not YOUR album.. it's THEIR album. It's always interesting to watch the rabid fans react when a band makes a left turn. But in the case of ST. ANGER, I can't really judge, I need to give it a spin myself.

-jar

Jim Clark
09-26-2007, 06:31 AM
I had to click on this post just to see who or what St. Anger even was. Ahh, Metallica. Sucks when one of your faves produces something way below your expecations.

I thought you people had all moved on to Tool anyway?

jc

-Jar-
09-26-2007, 07:54 AM
I had to click on this post just to see who or what St. Anger even was. Ahh, Metallica. Sucks when one of your faves produces something way below your expecations.

I thought you people had all moved on to Tool anyway?

jc

When a band records an album that you consider "life-changing" (in my case, their MASTER OF PUPPETS), then you always kind of hold out hope that one day they'll do something amazing again. One can hope.

-jar

Duds
10-01-2007, 12:21 PM
They will never come close to Master again, or Ride....or Kill em all....or Justice.....

When a band records an album that you consider "life-changing" (in my case, their MASTER OF PUPPETS), then you always kind of hold out hope that one day they'll do something amazing again. One can hope.

-jar