Ya ever just listen to the same album over and over? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ya ever just listen to the same album over and over?

Davey
09-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Funny how sometimes they just have that sound, the one you just can't get enough of, the connection. How often does that happen to you? Probably not often enough in today's hectic lifestyle, not like when we were kids, but still happens to me a lot. Guess maybe I just gravitate toward that type of sound.

Latest drug is the new Dot Allison record, Exaltation of Larks. Already info in the latest CD thread, but when I first got the air mail package from Hong Kong ($12.95 postpaid btw, don't know how they do it), I ripped it to the computer and gave it a late night spin. Nice, but actually kind of underwhelming on the first listen. Better the next morning, but still ... until I popped the CD in the real system, and wow, talk about a difference. Kramer didn't mix this thing to sound right on your crappy computer like so many other producers, this one is mixed to envelop you in dreamy soundscapes that are so much a part of the music. That's really nice, that is until I slipped on the Senn 600s and really floated away. Like some William Gibson future cyber-connection. So many colors and nuances. Fun stuff. Sure, there's a sucker born every minute, and god I know I'm one (the Alan Price version). But still, fun stuff :)

ForeverAutumn
09-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Back in August I picked up 7 CDs on the same day. I got through the first two okay and then fell in love with the 3rd one, Ayreon's Actual Fantasy. This disk is everything that I love about prog. Soft, heavy, complex, dramatic. The vocals on this CD are so warm and deep and rich that, at times, it just feels like my ears are being massaged (even as an MP3). Nice.

It was weeks before I stopped listening to it long enough to get to the remaining 4 disks.

Jim Clark
09-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Looks like maybe that's something I might like. Gonna check it out, why not?

I'm trying to get my paws on the Shocking Pinks new album. Everywhere seems to be back ordered. Maybe some production/shipping issues? Heard it is basically a remaster of the first 2 but since I somehow never did get the first 2, this works out nicely.

So to get back on point, I do tend to fixate from time to time. That Shout Out Louds album took a long time to get out of the player. Similar deal, listened mainly in the car with Ford's alleged premium sound system and I liked it. Put it on the main system and it was a whole new deal which of course starts the cycle anew.

jc

Slosh
09-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Currently this one:

Slosh
09-25-2007, 12:33 PM
...and this one too, and not just because I stuck them on the same CD-R either.

Slosh
10-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Haven't played this one in a while and now that I am I suspect it's gonna be back in heavy rotation for a few weeks :)

jonnyhambone
10-06-2007, 07:12 AM
been oddly addicted to Judee Sill - Heart Food all summer...daily spins to the great grief of my wife. I think it has something to do with how her voice has this ebb and flow thing going, like listening to the ocean (routed through an early 70's am radio station)...

Mr Peabody
10-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Amazon don't have samples of Ayreon, disappointing. Do you have Actual Fantasy or Actual Fantasy Revisited? I wonder if those are two different albums or Revisited is maybe a remaster.

I never listen to an album twice in one sitting but I have stuff I will listen to and sit aside to listen again at another listening session. When I discovered Nightwish and Tristania they stayed in my listening pile for a long time. The same with Blackmore Night and Mindy Smith.

How many times can you use listen is a post?:)