Annoying ads [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Annoying ads

GTucker
09-24-2007, 08:27 AM
The animated or video adds at the top of page take a long time to load. This is extremely annoying.

Feanor
09-24-2007, 08:59 AM
The animated or video adds at the top of page take a long time to load. This is extremely annoying.

The AR site is perhaps the slowest forum I visit, but then somebody's got to pay the bills, I guess.

Rich-n-Texas
09-24-2007, 10:09 AM
What irritates me is when you accidentally mouse over the ad, it expands down and gets in your way.

Fred333
09-24-2007, 10:46 AM
That is very annoying. I don't like theads that fly in from where ever and then stay with you until you click close.

PeruvianSkies
09-24-2007, 11:11 AM
That is very annoying. I don't like theads that fly in from where ever and then stay with you until you click close.

I agree, these should be illegal, but the WORST WORST WORST ads are the ones that have audio with them and scare the crap out of you when it comes on out of the blue!

jim goulding
09-24-2007, 11:23 AM
I think it's a goddamn atrocity that respected readers to this forum are even subjected to this s*** much less be expected to put up with it. But, perhaps, we are not so respected after all. If there are bills to be paid, find a less obtrusive way to do it. There are banners on this page and others. Sell, you heard me right SELL, the space to the highest bidder and don't listen to their bull**** about the effectiveness of drop down ads. God forbid . . that idea didn't originate with AR did it? Make your product, i.e.your market, dummy, more attractive to advertisers and raise your frickin rates. Bet you don't have a demographic one to show prospective advertisers what they need to hear so you just take em as they come, huh? Get rid of those damn drop down menus before your most trusted members think of a way to move their business elsewhere.

markw
09-24-2007, 11:54 AM
It's to make money from advertisers. They don't make a dime off of us. And, since these ads are so effective at getting our attention, just think how effective it is on the newbies/lurkers who might actually be interested in what they have to say.

Remember, our posting here is secondary to the number hits they generate for their advertiser's links on a daily basis, and they are substantial, which is what advertisers want.

Our complaining about this has about as much effect as roaches complainng to D-Con (or whoever makes 'em) that their buddies never walk out of those roach motels.

jim goulding
09-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the reminder, Mark, but it's beside the point. There are people complaining about this type of advertising who are responsible for those many hits. They deserve a voice. Personally, I haven't read a single one of those ads. Can't get rid of them fast enough.

Can't say I have a better idea other than what I've already said elsehwere but there has gotta be one. So, to the publishing editor I say . . think about it. First, what's the plan?

markw
09-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the reminder, Mark, but it's beside the point. There are people complaining about this type of advertising who are responsible for those many hits. They deserve a voice. Personally, I haven't read a single one of those ads. Can't get rid of them fast enough.

Can't say I have a better idea other than what I've already said elsehwere but there has gotta be one. So, to the publishing editor I say . . think about it. First, what's the plan?

http://www.quantcast.com/forums.audioreview.com

You can thank Dingus for thus useful link that puts "our" contributions here in perspective.

jim goulding
09-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Ok. The site has demographics. Is that your message? Thanks, Dingus, my man! Where are those females is what I wanna know? Think they would like cosmetics ads? Begging you pardon, I just couldn't resist that. No argument that advertising is necessary. Think the site could use the demographics about what percentage of members love and listen to vinyl and approach specialty labels? Take a look at www.audiophileaudition.com where they have active ads that are fetching but out of the text on the site. Are you a decision maker, Marc?

dingus
09-24-2007, 02:39 PM
in regards to the stats at quantcast, note that AR is not a 'quantified' site. that means the stats listed at quantcast are inferred from other data sources, and do not come from the AR forums directly. in short, its a best-guess estimate.

AR could be quantified, but the webmaster (or whoever maintains the pages) would have to insert the quantcast code into the forum pages.

bobsticks
09-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Ayo characters, after you log in try changing your browser's security settings to high. For me it eliminates the offending pop-up ads and notably improves load times. I think the v-bulletin format or whatever may be lacking in some respects. I've visited other v-sites which are much slower than this one (could also be to higher traffic).

markw
09-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Ok. The site has demographics. Is that your message? Thanks, Dingus, my man! ... Are you a decision maker, Marc?But, considering that we don't pay one penny to stroke our egos on this site, I wouldn't begrudge those that pay to keep it running their fair share.

Now, if you can come up with an alternate means to fund this site I'm sure they would be glad to listen to you.

But, yes, this site takes for-effen'-ever to load and sometimes I just exit out. Sometimes it just ain't worth the aggravation.

Wireworm5
09-24-2007, 06:15 PM
I use to get those annoying ads too. Since using Netscape with pop-up blocker I don't get them any more. Could also be high security setting already mentioned.
And I don't find the site slow at all, but then I have high speed internet. :P