Please justify my PS3 purchase! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please justify my PS3 purchase!

wmflyfisher
09-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Ok, just got my 42" 720p plasma a couple weeks ago. I also purchased an up-conversion DVD player. I read today that the PS3 will up-convert regular DVD's and do Blu-Rays. Is this correct?? I don't play many games but would like to get into it. Should the 20GB PS3 be enough? Is it worth it? Thanks, Wes

GMichael
09-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Ok, just got my 42" 720p plasma a couple weeks ago. I also purchased an up-concersion DVD player. I read today that the PS3 will up-convert regular DVD's and do Blu-Rays. Is this correct?? I don't play many games but would like to get into it. Should the 20GB PS3 be enough? Is it worth it? Thanks, Wes

Yes, it is.
Yes, it would be.
Absolutely

But the 20Gig has been discontinued.
If you can wait, the 60Gig should go on sale by the holidays.

wmflyfisher
09-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Yes, it is.
Yes, it would be.
Absolutely

But the 20Gig has been discontinued.
If you can wait, the 60Gig should go on sale by the holidays.

Thanks for the info G. I'm a student so money is def a factor. I can get a like new 20gb online for around $350. If I don't plan on playing a ton of games, 20 should be ok right?

GMichael
09-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the info G. I'm a student so money is def a factor. I can get a like new 20gb online for around $350. If I don't plan on playing a ton of games, 20 should be ok right?

I don't think that you'll even touch the HD space unless you save games on it. (I guess that makes them load faster) And even if you did, the drives can be replaced. Or you could add an external HD via the USB port.

L.J.
09-23-2007, 07:54 PM
The 60g also offers wireless networking & digital media card slots.

wmflyfisher
09-24-2007, 06:54 AM
So do you guys know if this unit will play HD DVD's as well??

L.J.
09-24-2007, 07:03 AM

No. There are units out there that play both, but look to spend alot of $$$$ for one. It would be cheaper to buy 2 separate players.

N. Abstentia
09-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Wouldn't a standalone Blueray player be cheaper than a PS3? If you don't care for games then I'd get a standalone player.

Personally I think it's hard to beat the Xbox 360 with the HD-DVD add-on but of course you can't get this setup for $350. But even without the HD-DVD drive you can still download tons of HD movies and TV shows from the Live marketplace. And if you're not a big gamer but want to play games, the 360 is still the better choice. There are hundreds of free game demos to download, plus tons of stuff in the Live Arcade. The 360 is also a full blown media server that you can use to stream all your movies/music/pictures.

GMichael
09-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Wouldn't a standalone Blueray player be cheaper than a PS3? If you don't care for games then I'd get a standalone player.

Personally I think it's hard to beat the Xbox 360 with the HD-DVD add-on but of course you can't get this setup for $350. But even without the HD-DVD drive you can still download tons of HD movies and TV shows from the Live marketplace. And if you're not a big gamer but want to play games, the 360 is still the better choice. There are hundreds of free game demos to download, plus tons of stuff in the Live Arcade. The 360 is also a full blown media server that you can use to stream all your movies/music/pictures.

A stand alone Blu-ray player actually costs more than a PS3. And most of them don't even equal the quality of the player in the PS3. It has something to do with the PS3's being subsidized the stand alones not.

No remote for the PS3 player though. You'd have to use your controller. Your Harmony can't even pick up the functions. (No IR) Crazy, huh?

L.J.
09-24-2007, 10:21 AM
No remote for the PS3 player though. You'd have to use your controller. Your Harmony can't even pick up the functions. (No IR) Crazy, huh?

I have a remote for my PS3.

My Harmony can't control the PS3 but it doesn't matter, your gonna have to get off your butt to pop in a game or BR anyways, which turns the power on.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-25-2007, 04:45 PM

Its HDMI connection is not 1.3, so it does not support the advance audio codecs, or lossless sound. It artifacts its 1080p output, they are overheating and frying themselves. The movies from the live marketplace are either 480i or 720p. It cannot play SACD's, it cannot upsample CD's, and I am not sure it even upscales SD DVD.

Out of all of the current bluray players on the market, the PS3 is the best value for what it does. It is also has the ability to be the most profile compliant of all bluray players because of its upgradability.

drseid
09-26-2007, 01:14 AM

It won't play HD DVDs, but for Blu-ray, $350 is about as little as you could hope to pay at the moment. So if you are looking at getting into BR, I think this sounds like an excellent option for you. Then later on, if you (or some friends of yours) decide you now want to play games you already have a player ready to go.

---Dave

topspeed
09-26-2007, 12:48 PM
the PS3 is the best value for what it does. It is also has the ability to be the most profile compliant of all bluray players because of its upgradability.Profile compliant? :confused: Does this mean it will look best in my rack?

No, seriously, WTH are you talking about?

N. Abstentia
09-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Its HDMI connection is not 1.3, so it does not support the advance audio codecs, or lossless sound. It artifacts its 1080p output, they are overheating and frying themselves. The movies from the live marketplace are either 480i or 720p. It cannot play SACD's, it cannot upsample CD's, and I am not sure it even upscales SD DVD.

Out of all of the current bluray players on the market, the PS3 is the best value for what it does. It is also has the ability to be the most profile compliant of all bluray players because of its upgradability.

The 360 does in fact upscale DVD's to 1080p (this is standard on the Elite..you don't even need the HD-DVD player).

I've never heard of one 'overheating and frying', certainly none of ours have done that.

I shudder to think of anyone buying a game console to listen to SACD's or expecting it to upconvert CD's. That's pretty much the definition of 'asanine'. But if it helps boost SACD sales to the masses, keep it up!