Birtwistle: two contemporary pieces [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Birtwistle: two contemporary pieces

Feanor
09-23-2007, 05:10 PM
I can't resist, my AR buddies: contemporary classical, yes. But great stuff and who knows? Some of you might actually seek to hear them

I heard for the first time two engrossing and dramatic contemporary classical pieces from the Britsh compose, (Sir) Harrison Birtwistle. These two pieces are aptly described as "instrumental theatrical". They are essentially atonal but more accessible than most to the uninitiated:

Theseus Games for large ensemble and two conductors (2002). [Ensemble Modern, conducted by Martyn Brabbins and Pierre-Andre Valade]
Earth Dances for orchestra (1985-86). [Ensemble Modern Orchestra, conducted by Pierre Boulez]These are on a 2006 Deutsche Grammophon "20/21" recording, 477 0702. Great performances and sound: highly recommended.

http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/Birtwistle_TheseusGameEarthDances.jpg

Feanor
09-24-2007, 04:15 PM
I can't resist, my AR buddies: contemporary classical, yes. But great stuff and who knows? Some of you might actually seek to hear them

I heard for the first time two engrossing and dramatic contemporary classical pieces from the Britsh compose, (Sir) Harrison Birtwistle. These two pieces are aptly described as "instrumental theatrical". They are essentially atonal but more accessible than most to the uninitiated:

Theseus Games for large ensemble and two conductors (2002). [Ensemble Modern, conducted by Martyn Brabbins and Pierre-Andre Valade]
Earth Dances for orchestra (1985-86). [Ensemble Modern Orchestra, conducted by Pierre Boulez]These are on a 2006 Deutsche Grammophon "20/21" recording, 477 0702. Great performances and sound: highly recommended.

I knew I'd be a voice in the wilderness.

bobsticks
09-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Hello?... Hello?... Hello?... Hello?...

Thanks anyway, but I am enjoying the hell outta this: