CD or DVD for testing my 5.1 system ?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CD or DVD for testing my 5.1 system ??

rtse313
02-26-2004, 09:00 AM
my no-name dvd player is hooked up to my onkyo receiver. however i don't seems to notice any "background sound" from my rear speakers. i can hear sound coming from the rear speakers just like those in front and center, but no "background noice" if you know what i mean..... i tried many settings like pro-logic movie, music, etc and still the same.....
so i would like to know if there is any testing cd or dvd out there that can let me test my setup ?? thanks !! :)

Bryan
02-26-2004, 11:29 AM
DVDs:

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
The Matrix
Saving Private Ryan

kelsci
02-26-2004, 12:33 PM
my no-name dvd player is hooked up to my onkyo receiver. however i don't seems to notice any "background sound" from my rear speakers. i can hear sound coming from the rear speakers just like those in front and center, but no "background noice" if you know what i mean..... i tried many settings like pro-logic movie, music, etc and still the same.....
so i would like to know if there is any testing cd or dvd out there that can let me test my setup ?? thanks !! :)

I think you are looking for a simple audiotest to determine where and what sounds would be coming out of your dvd player. There are some DVDs like the last STAR WARS that have a option called the THX optimizer. They will throw a variety of test tones related to Dolby Digital 5.1 in regards to hearing whether all speakers are playing and that they are in phase or out of phase properly. While I was thinking of your question, I wondered whether it might be possible to use these test tones for DPL-2, DTS-NEO etc. I think it is possible by going to the audio menu within the DVD player and setting it to Dolby Digital but not 5.1 Dolby Digital. This might transmit a mixed down sound over the digital cable and still let you try the Optimode in a two channel mode. It's a long shot, but it might work.

samgupta
02-26-2004, 01:39 PM

One dvd you might want to pick up is Avia Video Essentials. It contains test tones that are directed to each speaker, so you can make sure that everything is hooked up correctly. It can also help debug speaker phase problems. If I remember correctly, it's pretty cheap--like around $15 or so if you buy from Amazon or other online retailers.

rtse313
02-26-2004, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys !!

Bryan and kelsci: The only DVDs I have right now is 61* and Gladiator, I will see if Gladiator has the features you mentioned. I may need to find the DVD player manual first in order to play with all the settings.

samgupta: YES !! I will look for Avia Video Essentials. Thanks.

:)

kelsci
02-27-2004, 05:02 AM
RTSE313; The two discs you have do not have the THX optimizer. I would go with Samgupta's proposal.

F1
02-27-2004, 05:53 AM
You need to check a few things:
- Use test tone built into your receiver to check whether you connect all your speakers correctly at approximately the same volume level for all speakers.
- Make sure you use digital connection between receiver and DVD player, either by coaxial or optical connection.
- Make sure you output bitstream for DD/DTS from DVD player, not PCM output, otherwise you only input stereo to your receiver.
- Make sure you select DD5.1 or DTS from your software (DVD)
- I think you are set.

Good luck.

rtse313
02-27-2004, 08:13 AM
You need to check a few things:
- Use test tone built into your receiver to check whether you connect all your speakers correctly at approximately the same volume level for all speakers.
- Make sure you use digital connection between receiver and DVD player, either by coaxial or optical connection.
- Make sure you output bitstream for DD/DTS from DVD player, not PCM output, otherwise you only input stereo to your receiver.
- Make sure you select DD5.1 or DTS from your software (DVD)
- I think you are set.

Good luck.

oh i am still using the component output (red/white/yellow). i thought they would still give me the surround sound, only less quality...... ????

i am not sure what DD/DTS or PCM output is. i will go home tonight and check out the back of my dvd player.

recoveryone
02-27-2004, 08:45 AM
oh i am still using the component output (red/white/yellow). i thought they would still give me the surround sound, only less quality...... ????

i am not sure what DD/DTS or PCM output is. i will go home tonight and check out the back of my dvd player.
F1 hit the nail on the head, To get 5.1 sound you need to have digital connection from the player to your receiver, or least 5.1 analog from the DvD player to the receiver. To give you a quick class listen up:

The standard RCA: Red/White/Yellow will only give you stereo sound and Dobly Pro Logic from surround movies. Which is less surround effect than true 5.1.

On most DVD models they have 1 or 2 Digital outputs (1) Toslink/Optical and (2) Coax (single upgraded RCA line) One of these is inputed into the rear of your receiver if it supports one of them and assign the input to play from the DVD when selected.

Your first thought was correct in thinking using the RCA Stereo plugs would give very low quality surround in DPL (Pro Logic) and depending on the output of channels on your receiver can effect the ability of the surround effect (not true 5.1 descret channels). Just to give a example: I can play moves on my VCR and still get good surround effects in DPL. The best movies to try are Monster Inc. and Bugs Life. When I had SPR (Saving Private Ryan) on VHS it sounded great, but could not compare with the DTS version I have now.

If possible go out to Radio Shack and pick up their basic Toslink or Coax (below $20) each and give it a try and see if the surround sound is better, if not it may be the receiver not being a true 5.1 descret unit. But I'm sure it will still sound better than the stereo plugs you are using now.

rtse313
02-27-2004, 09:31 AM
i will go to fry's around lunch. which is better coaxial or optical ??

recoveryone
02-27-2004, 09:48 AM
i will go to fry's around lunch. which is better coaxial or optical ??
they both are about the same, some people have a perference, I use both on my system(not on the same unit)

rtse313
02-27-2004, 06:36 PM
I just bought a 12' Coaxial cable (GE) from frys for 9.99.

Questions:
1, In my dvd setup, what is SPDIF/RAW and SPDIF/PCM ?? the default setting is RAW but it said VCD must be set to SPDIF/PCM.....

2, Which is the left rear and which is the right rear ??!! i know this sounds stupid..... after using the test function on my receiver i realized that right now the one "behind" left front is actually right rear and same thing on the other side.....

recoveryone
02-28-2004, 08:11 AM
I just bought a 12' Coaxial cable (GE) from frys for 9.99.

Questions:
1, In my dvd setup, what is SPDIF/RAW and SPDIF/PCM ?? the default setting is RAW but it said VCD must be set to SPDIF/PCM.....

2, Which is the left rear and which is the right rear ??!! i know this sounds stupid..... after using the test function on my receiver i realized that right now the one "behind" left front is actually right rear and same thing on the other side.....
Sounds like you have some work ahead of you. From what you just said, I would suggest you unhook everything and start over. As to your question on the coax cable, I would use the PCM setting. What brand is the DVD player, I never heard of that in a setup menu before.

rtse313
02-28-2004, 01:47 PM
why would you think i need to start over ?? i think all i need to do is to switch the connections on right rear and left rear ?? but again which is left and which is right ?? =)

and didn't F1 say NOT to use PCM ??

i have a AMW dvd player.

Woochifer
02-28-2004, 02:24 PM
If you're looking for a simple test disc, I would go with the Sound & Vision Home Theater Setup DVD. It has tutorials and very easy to follow directions. If you've never used a setup disc before, you should start with this one, since it also has instructions on how to wire and connect your system. To really maximize the utility of this disc, you should also go to Radio Shack and get a SPL meter (most people on this board use the analog version because you can identify half-steps between decibel readings). The Avia disc is also made by Ovation Software, but it costs about $40 and is a bit more outdated.

Also, while the THX Optimizer is nice because it's a freebie, it's not really the best choice for testing anything except the speaker ID because I've found that it has major inconsistencies and errors with the speaker level tests, and varies from title to title.

Keep in mind that PCM is the uncompressed digital carrier format for CD audio, which is why it would be recommended for VCDs. DD and DTS are compressed audio formats. However, I would guess that the RAW setting is probably the one you should go with, because it's your receiver that will differentiate between DD, DTS, or PCM audio signals. With other players you use the PCM setting only if your processor has trouble recognizing the signal in the default mode. I guess all that cryptic language comes with the territory with bargain DVD players.

F1
02-28-2004, 10:00 PM
why would you think i need to start over ?? i think all i need to do is to switch the connections on right rear and left rear ?? but again which is left and which is right ?? =)
and didn't F1 say NOT to use PCM ??
i have a AMW dvd player.

Left is your left when you are facing TV.
I guess you better select the DVD setting at RAW and set the receiver setting at Auto detect, so the receiver selects appropriate format for DVD or VCD automatically. Good luck.

kelsci
02-29-2004, 01:22 AM
Woochifer; The only reason I suggested the THX optimizer was for the very reason you state; for speaker and channel ID. This is what I felt RTSE313 was looking for in a test. I think Wooch that this player and its menu is for some kind of foreign system, perhaps PAL or SECAM. It is possible that in parts of the world that they may use an SPDIF system of connection for the digital connections outputted on the player, but the receiver would have to have an SPDIF input as well. In the use of any analogue audio outputs on this player, there still should be a left and right marking on any RCA audio output jacks on the player. I THINK than an example of an SPDIF connection that we use here is the S-VHS connection. KELSCI

rtse313
02-29-2004, 08:08 PM
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions !!! I have set the dvd player back to the original RAW setting, and switch the rear speakers (i somehow put the left speakers on the right side!!).

and i rented the Pirates for the Carribean over the weekend and there is the THX optimizer. i am able to do a little basic test on the setup and for the first time i really feel good about the sound !!

I did come across a little problem when running the PoC dvd..... when i use the default audio setup (Dolby Digital 5.1) there was a 1-2 seconds delay on the dialog. i then switched to DTS 5.1 and everything was fine. anyone knows why this happen ??