New to Audio--New System--Thoughts> [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New to Audio--New System--Thoughts>

srivkin78
09-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Hi All..Please let me know what you think about this setup??? Should i be excited, its's all set to come on monday!

Summary BIC Acoustech Cinema 6 $799(free speaker and sub wire) matched with an Onkyo TXSR674S $399 total $1100

I'm somewhat new to home audio systems. Right now i have a Panasonic sa-ht650 500watt home theater system. Got it off ebay like 5 years ago for 200 bucks. I;ve decided to upgrade.

My first thought of course was going with a Bose System. I've heard plenty of them and i was going to go with teh Lifestyle 18, but i wanted something different so i was searching Ebay and found Sounddistributors.com and for someone reason i was just drawn to the BIC Acoustech System. So i bought them.

Speaker details as follows

http://www.sounddistributors.com/images/acoustechpicture.jpg

The Acoustech Cinema Series H100 subwoofer fills a room with clean bass that highly enhances music or deep rumbling bass for exciting home theater sound. This subwoofer is a super value. A sleek cabinet with high gloss houses a heavy duty 12" front firing woofer. 500 watts dynamic peak output. Performance guaranteed to knock your socks off especially at it's price..
Woofer - Long-throw 12".
Power - 500 watts dynamic peak output (150 watts RMS continuous).
Max Acoustic Output - 115 dBSPL
Frequency Response - 24 Hz - 200 Hz (+/- 3 dB)
Enclosure - vented
Dimensions - 17" H x 15 W x 18 1/4" D
Crossover Frequency Range - 40 Hz - 150 Hz

Each Acoustech HT-75 tower houses dual 6" woofers combined with a high efficiency horn tweeter or a true theater like experience. Wide dynamic range up to 116 dB output. High gloss tops and bottoms also add to a sleek cosmetic design. The new Acoustech high efficiency Cinema Series delivers performance rich in clarity and guarantees large spectrum theater-like sound.
Design - Video shielded, two-way, three component tower.
Frequency Response - 35 Hz - 20 kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Drivers - Dual 6 1/2" woofers, one 6 1/2" mid/high frequency horn neodymiu magnet
Sensitivity - 96 dB @ 1 watt,1 meter
Power - 10 - 150 watts per channel.
Dimensions - 40" H x 9 W x 8" D Impedance - 8 Ohms
Limited Warranty - 2 years parts & labor

The new Acoustech HT-65 Center is a high efficiency Cinema Series delivering performance rich in clarity and guarantees large spectrum theater-like sound. The center houses dual 6" woofers combined with a high efficiency horn tweeter for a true theater like experience. Wide dynamic range up to 116 dBoutput. High gloss tops and bottoms also add to a sleek cosmetic design.
Design - Video shielded, two-way, three component center.
Frequency Response - 55 Hz -
20 kHz (+/- 3 dB) Drivers - Dual 6 1/2" woofers, one 6 1/2" mid/high frequency horn with neodymium magnet.
Sensitivity - 96 dB @ 1 watt,1 meter
Dimensions - 8" H x 22 W x 6" D
Impedance - 8 Ohms
Limited Warranty - 2 years parts and labor.

The new Acoustech HT-63 high efficiency Cinema Series delivers performance rich in clarity and guarantees large spectrum theater-like sound. The HT-63 bookshelf speakers have a unique angled cabinet for wide dispersion of sound. Each unit contains a 6"woofer combined with a high efficiency horn tweeter. A 5" x 7"passive radiator is also utilized. Wide dynamic range up to 116 dB output. High gloss tops and bottoms also add to a sleek cosmetic design.
Design - Two-way, three component bookshelf.
Frequency Response - 60 Hz - 20 kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Drivers -Dual 6 1/2" woofers, one 6 1/2" mid/high frequency horn with neodymium magnet.
Sensitivity - 96 dB @ 1 watt, 1 meter
Dimensions - 14" H x 9 W x 8" D
Impedance - 8 Ohms
Limited Warranty - 2 years parts and labor.

I was having a hard time to find a receiver as well and long story short i bought a Onkyo TXSR674S to hook them up too.

http://eimages.ecost.com/prod/5284000/5284472_lg.jpg

· THX Surround EX and THX Certified

· Cinema Re-EQ

· Extended Frequency Response (+ 1 dB, - 3 dB) 10 Hz-100 kHz

· DTS, DTS-ES Discrete/Matrix 6.1, DTS Neo:6

· DTS 96/24

· Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II

· Dolby ProLogic IIx

· Dolby Digital EX

· A-Form Listening Mode Memory

· Multichannel Input 7.1

· CinemaFILTER

· Digital Soundfield Processing Modes

· Late Night Mode

· Adjustable Digital Delay

· Crossover Adjustment

· HDMI 2 Input / 1 Output, 1080p bandwith ready for next generation DVD players

· Auto Speaker Calibration with Audyssey 2EQ Creates an optimal listening area, not a point - perfect for families

· Video Upconversion to HDMI with deinterlacing ensuring your video looks the best on the newest tv's

Specifications:

General

· Channels: 7.1

· THD (Rated Power): 0.08 % (Rated Power)

· Damping Factor (1 kHz, 8 ohm): 60

· Input Sensitivity and Impedance: 200 mV/47 k-ohms

· Output Level and Impedance: 200 mV/470 ohms

· S/N Ratio: 106 dB (Line in, IHF-A)

· Frequency Response: 10 Hz-100 kHz/+ 1 dB, - 3 dB (Direct mode)

· Dimensions (W x H x D): 17-1/8" x 6-7/8" x 14-13/16"

· Weight: 25.1 lbs.

Power Output* (8 ohm, 20 Hz-20 kHz, FTC)

· Front: L/R 95 W/Ch

· Center: 95 W

· Surround L/R : 95 W/Ch

· Surround Back: 95 W

Power Output* (6 ohm, 1 kHz, FTC)

· Front L/R: 115 W/Ch

· Center: 115 W

· Surround L/R : 115 W/Ch

· Surround Back : 115 W/Ch

Dynamic Power** (front)

· 3 ohm 225 W

· 4 ohm 170 W

· 8 ohm 105 W

Tone Controls

· Bass: +/- 10 dB, 50 Hz

· Treble: +/- 10 dB, 20 kHz

Tuner Usable Sensitivity

· FM Mono: 15.2 dBf, 1 uV (75 ohms, IHF)

· FM Stereo: 22.2 dBf, 2 uV (75 ohms, IHF)

· AM: 300 uV/m

Tuner S/N Ratio

· FM Mono: 73 dB (IHF-A)

· FM Stereo: 67 dB (IHF-A)

· AM: 40 dB

THD:

· FM Mono: 0.3 %, 1 kHz

· FM Stereo : 0.5 %, 1 kHz

· AM: 0.7 %

· FM Stereo Separation: 40 dB at 1 kHz

PDN
09-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Srivkin78:

Not to sound opposed but you do get what you pay for in audio. $799.00 for a complete set of HT loudspeakers is definetly on the budget side. The Onkyo A-V Receiver should serve you well but again, it's also on the budget end. Of course it all depends on how it sounds to you. If you like it, than it was a good decision. Much too depends on the size and condition of your listening room. On the other hand, you purchased a set of loudspeakers without first listening to and auditioning them. That could be a mistake but again it comes down to whether the overall sound is satisfactory to you. Will you be listening to music CD's as well as watching movies and TV? All the best !!

Mr Peabody
09-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Not to worry, the Onkyo receiver will rock. They have one of the better amp sections in mass market receivers, in my opinion. The Audessy system is good, it originally was only available in top of the line Denon A/V. 95 watts of Onkyo power into a speaker with 96 dB of sensitivity will play very very loud.

I'm not familiar with BIC. It is a lot of system for the money. I like the fact that your system will have 6 1/2 drivers and they all match. Matching is important for seamless sound panning from one speaker to the other. I'm not a big fan of horns, they usually have less dispersion than a dome style. Neodinium is typically used in good drivers though, so hopefully the sound will be there for you.

Based on what you had and what you were thinking of getting, I think you did alright and will be happy. With the speakers using horn tweets you might want to point the speakers toward your listening spot. Have fun and welcome to AR.

nightflier
09-22-2007, 07:59 PM
BIC is affectionately known as the frugal buyer's Klipsch. I think for the money, there's very little that can compare. The specs look very impressive and the Onkyo receiver is no slouch either. One big plus is that these speakers are very sensitive and that should allow them to play plenty loud. I've been intrigued by the brand over the years and would be very interested in hearing what you think of the whole setup after you get it all hooked up. Let us know how you like it.

drseid
09-23-2007, 01:27 AM
I have never been a huge fan of BIC, but at the $799 price-point it appears you get some pretty good bang for your buck (and at least you avoided buying the over-priced Bose system).

Onkyo makes fine receivers and I think you will be quite happy with your choice there.

Enjoy,

---Dave

srivkin78
09-23-2007, 04:28 AM
Thanks for the feed back. I'll definitly report how they sound monday night. .This system is going to be used as TV/MOVIE as well to play my Zune Player and my Sirius.

Mr Peabody
09-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Zune or Sirius will not yield good audio through anything. The compression used drastically limits any decent results. What are you using for a DVD player? Using the digital audio out into your receiver should give you decent CD playback for music when in the mood for serious listening.

I haven't had my mp3 player for long, I could tell right away the effects of compression but it is tolerable for portable use and commuting. I hooked the mp3 up to a Krell integrated to see how it would sound through good equipment. I will never do that again, the sound was not tolerable. I just wanted to let it play while on the treadmill but I couldn't bare to listen like that again. It's a great experiment for anyone who believes there isn't that much difference between mp3 and CD, it's only night and day.

srivkin78
09-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Zune or Sirius will not yield good audio through anything. The compression used drastically limits any decent results. What are you using for a DVD player? Using the digital audio out into your receiver should give you decent CD playback for music when in the mood for serious listening.

I haven't had my mp3 player for long, I could tell right away the effects of compression but it is tolerable for portable use and commuting. I hooked the mp3 up to a Krell integrated to see how it would sound through good equipment. I will never do that again, the sound was not tolerable. I just wanted to let it play while on the treadmill but I couldn't bare to listen like that again. It's a great experiment for anyone who believes there isn't that much difference between mp3 and CD, it's only night and day.

My DVD player is a Panasonic PV-d4745s its got DTS and Dolby Digital, its a VCR/DVD player combo, nothing special

Mr Peabody
09-23-2007, 12:11 PM
That's fine, you can use the DVD as the transport for playing CD's. Use the digital connection and allow your receiver to decode the signal, should sound pretty good.

pixelthis
09-24-2007, 01:37 AM
My integra (3 years old) is basically an onkyo, and I have had it hooked up to some Klipsch, a pair of towers and later a pair of bookshelves.
And the combo sounded great.
A lot of companies have "lesser" brands that are basically outlets for stuff they dont want to sell, such as B&W and wharfdale (or so I have heard)
But if those Bic sound anything like klipsch they should be worth the money:thumbsup:

N. Abstentia
09-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Zune or Sirius will not yield good audio through anything.

Not entirely true. I run my Zune through my preamp via USB with phenomenal results. Is it SACD quality? Heck no. Does it sound good enough for 90% of my music listening? Heck yeah! The Zune is fantastic.

Fred333
09-24-2007, 10:48 AM
I would have to second that endorsement I have a Zune and wouldn't trade it for the world.

srivkin78
09-24-2007, 04:25 PM
welp, unfortunately my subwoofer and speaker wire and receiver got delayed, i got the rest of the speakers though and wow are they sexy. They look like real hgh quality stuff compared to what i was looking at , at circuit city and best buy. So i will hopefully be able to let you know tommorow night

Mr Peabody
09-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Not entirely true. I run my Zune through my preamp via USB with phenomenal results. Is it SACD quality? Heck no. Does it sound good enough for 90% of my music listening? Heck yeah! The Zune is fantastic.

What music file format do you use in the Zune and what preamp offers USB?

srivkin78
09-26-2007, 02:25 AM
............................WOW................... ..........................

Soooooo these speakers are FANTASTIC. I can't beleive the quality of sound. The Subwoofer especially is extremely powerful. I did "The Matrix" demonstration, you know when Neo and Trinity go rescue Morpheous and the have that huge shooting scene? I've heard detail that i never new even exsisted!. I am got pema smile. 100% satisfied.

The only thing was that on the Onkyo receiver, i could not get the auto setup to work with the mic test. I put the Mic in the middle of the room on my ottoman, the reciever played all these noses through each speaker and then said measuring, and then at the end said, Rety. AM i doing something wrong? I had to set it up manually.

Anyways i am sure there are tons of stuff i need to learn in order to enjoy the full capabilities of these speakers, but i will learn then slowly with time.

I would definitly recommend these.

Mr Peabody
09-26-2007, 06:39 PM
I've actually never used the Audessey set up. The mic should go where you will be sitting and about head high.

Glad you are happy with the system.

pixelthis
09-26-2007, 11:04 PM

Soooooo these speakers are FANTASTIC. I can't beleive the quality of sound. The Subwoofer especially is extremely powerful. I did "The Matrix" demonstration, you know when Neo and Trinity go rescue Morpheous and the have that huge shooting scene? I've heard detail that i never new even exsisted!. I am got pema smile. 100% satisfied.

The only thing was that on the Onkyo receiver, i could not get the auto setup to work with the mic test. I put the Mic in the middle of the room on my ottoman, the reciever played all these noses through each speaker and then said measuring, and then at the end said, Rety. AM i doing something wrong? I had to set it up manually.

Anyways i am sure there are tons of stuff i need to learn in order to enjoy the full capabilities of these speakers, but i will learn then slowly with time.

I have always had trouble with these "auto setup" rigs.
Pay the man. 30 bucks. At radio shack. and get a spl meter.
Best money you'll ever spend
:1:

GMichael
09-27-2007, 05:33 AM

Glad to see that you are enjoying your system/purchase. It's always good to get your money's worth. The system you picked out should blow away any of the Bose systems you were looking at.
Not sure why the Onkyo was having an issue. Read through the manual and give it another go. These things can be a little temperamental, but do a fine job with distances and levels.

Welcome to the road to audio bliss.

GMichael
09-27-2007, 05:36 AM
I have always had trouble with these "auto setup" rigs.
Pay the man. 30 bucks. At radio shack. and get a spl meter.
Best money you'll ever spend
:1:

Dude, you are so showing your age.
Check the price on those Rat Shack meters.

PeruvianSkies
09-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Dude, you are so showing your age.
Check the price on those Rat Shack meters.

They are $50 last I checked.

musicman1999
09-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Got mine for $25.00, on sale.

bill