I'm bored [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm bored

ForeverAutumn
09-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Tell me what your weekend plans are.

Our plans include dinner at my Mom's tonight. Going to the gym tomorrow morning. And then, hopefully, spending the afternoon relaxing with a good book and some good music. And golfing on Sunday.

It's supposed to be a nice warm weekend. I don't expect that we'll have too many more of those so each one, at this time of year, is cherished. Soon I'll be turning in my golf clubs for a curling broom.

basite
09-21-2007, 10:36 AM
well, here's mine

tomorrow I'll be going to an arts exposition (paintings, almost all of them are paintings of New York, the guy in the art gallery has nice speakers too btw :) ). After that I'll be going around town, probably going to music shops, see what I can find.

sunday = Homework day :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JSE
09-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Driving to Ft. Worth, Tx tonight for mother in laws B-Day tomorrow night. The wife and I are throwing a party for her at a local Mexican Eatery complete with all you can eat Fajitas, Margaritas, Beer, Queso, etc, for about 30 people. I can already feel the Amex burning in my back pocket!

Back to Houston Sunday evening. Back to work Monday and then getting ready for a trip to Seattle/Olympic National Park/Vancouver Island from 10/3 throuhg 10/14. Can't wait! Still have to finalized my gear options. I have to carry 2 DLSRs, Mamiya 7 and assorted lenses, filters, tripod, 120 film, etc, plus hiking gear. We have a full day ATV Tour planned on Vancouver Island as well as a Zip Line Tour. Hope to do some mountain lake fishing on the ATV tour as well as some photography. The fall colors should be amazing up there. Oh, Hope to not fall to my death on the Zip Line Tour! We also have a full day Salmon and Steelhead river fishing trip planed while in Olympic. Then 2 days of nothing but photography and hiking. Did I say I can't wait! After that, a few days in Seattle with a day trip out to Mt Rainer maybe.

Ok that was more than this weekend but your bored and needed some reading material.

JSE

ForeverAutumn
09-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Driving to Ft. Worth, Tx tonight for mother in laws B-Day tomorrow night. The wife and I are throwing a party for her at a local Mexican Eatery complete with all you can eat Fajitas, Margaritas, Beer, Queso, etc, for about 30 people. I can already feel the Amex burning in my back pocket!

Back to Houston Sunday evening. Back to work Monday and then getting ready for a trip to Seattle/Olympic National Park/Vancouver Island from 10/3 throuhg 10/14. Can't wait! Still have to finalized my gear options. I have to carry 2 DLSRs, Mamiya 7 and assorted lenses, filters, tripod, 120 film, etc, plus hiking gear. We have a full day ATV Tour planned on Vancouver Island as well as a Zip Line Tour. Hope to do some mountain lake fishing on the ATV tour as well as some photography. The fall colors should be amazing up there. Oh, Hope to not fall to my death on the Zip Line Tour! We also have a full day Salmon and Steelhead river fishing trip planed while in Olympic. Then 2 days of nothing but photography and hiking. Did I say I can't wait! After that, a few days in Seattle with a day trip out to Mt Rainer maybe.

Ok that was more than this weekend but your bored and needed some reading material.

JSE

Can I come to the party? I'll even pay for my own Margaritas.

Wow! That sounds like a fantastic trip. I've been to Victoria twice. It's beautiful there and I've heard that the rest of the island is even better, so expect to take a gazillion pictures! Show us the best of the bunch when you get back.

We're taking a vacation in October too. But we're going to Disneyworld, the capitalist capital of the world...quite a different trip than what you're doing. :lol:

topspeed
09-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Lessee... soccer, soccer, and more soccer if it doesn't rain. I coach my kid's team, which really means I chase a bunch of 1st graders around and teach them the subtle, but important, difference of hitting a ball with their head and not their face.

If it rains (doing rain dance as I type this, which ain't easy), I'll be enjoying every second of it with a good movie, the family, and that wonderful smell of the first rain of the season. In my neck of the woods, we rarely get rain so when it happens it's a real treat. I'm even considering heading up into Sequoia Nat'l Park to play in the snow. Reports are snow levels at 6500', which would mean about a 90 minute drive. Totally worth it considering last winter was the dryest in 50 years and the boys never had a chance to go sledding or whatnot. Saturday night tho, I'll be glued to the set cheering my Trojans to victory over Wazzu.

On Sunday, the wife is taking the kids on a cancer walk, so I'll have a few hours of solitude to crank up the rig. Too bad the copy of Holst's "The Planets" I received on XRCD has a bad track :(. I just sent it back to the seller today. BTW, this is a fantastic disc, even if you're not into classical. I had the Decca recording of the LA Philharmonic and the pacing and emotion of the work is simply gorgeous. Listen to "Mars" and you'll quickly find William's inspiration for the Imperial March in Star Wars. The fact that it's a reference quality recording is merely icing on the cake.

topspeed
09-21-2007, 11:29 AM

JSE
Hey JSE,

That is going to be an awesome trip! I was just there in August and we had a terrific time. I LOVE the Pacific Northwest, truly "God's Country" by any definition. Seattle and Vancouver are amazing cities and Olympic Park is beautiful. If you have time, check out the Vancouver Aquarium in Stanley Park as it's one of the very best I've been to (with two young kids, I've been to a lot!). I swear, Canadians have to the be the nicest, most accommodating people on the planet and they keep Vancouver spotless. You probably have your hotel settled, but if not I highly recommend The Four Season. The service there will blow your mind. Every night they had fruit, dried nuts, or some other surprise waiting for us. The best part was the giant chocolate chip cookies with our kids names written on them! How cool is that?!? Great people, great food, and awe inspiring scenery. I'm very jealous :).

Have a fantastic vacation!

ForeverAutumn
09-21-2007, 12:00 PM
I swear, Canadians have to the be the nicest, most accommodating people on the planet

Yeah, Canadians rawk! :thumbsup:

I second the Vancouver aquarium suggestion. If you get there, be sure to check out the otters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epUk3T2Kfno

They really do float around holding hands like that. It's one of the cutest things you'll likely ever see.

JSE
09-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Can I come to the party? I'll even pay for my own Margaritas.

Wow! That sounds like a fantastic trip. I've been to Victoria twice. It's beautiful there and I've heard that the rest of the island is even better, so expect to take a gazillion pictures! Show us the best of the bunch when you get back.

We're taking a vacation in October too. But we're going to Disneyworld, the capitalist capital of the world...quite a different trip than what you're doing. :lol:

Yeah, the waiting is killing me! I'll be sure and post some photos after. Seattle should be nice but I really can't wait to get to Vancouver Island and Olympic. I'm a huge hiker and love photography. We are staying at the big hotel right on the Harbor in Voctoria. Can't remember the name right now but it's big, stone and covered with ivy.

And, get your arse to Ft. Worth by tomorrow and I'm buying!

Rich-n-Texas
09-21-2007, 12:15 PM
HEY!!! Where in Ft. Worth? I'm not that far! What time should I be there? I only like Patron in my Margaritas! :cornut:

ForeverAutumn
09-21-2007, 12:15 PM
Yeah, the waiting is killing me! I'll be sure and post some photos after. Seattle should be nice but I really can't wait to get to Vancouver Island and Olympic. I'm a huge hiker and love photography. We are staying at the big hotel right on the Harbor in Voctoria. Can't remember the name right now but it's big, stone and covered with ivy.

And, get your arse to Ft. Worth by tomorrow and I'm buying!

That sounds like The Empress Hotel. I haven't stayed there, but I've walked through it and it's very beautiful. It's a great location that's walking distance to almost everything and right across the street from the Royal BC Museum. If it interests you, there's a Titanic exhibit at the museum until Oct. 14th that's supposed to be excellent. I really wanted to see it when I was in Victoria in May, but didn't have enough time (it was a business trip and we only had one free afternoon).

JSE
09-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Hey JSE,

That is going to be an awesome trip! I was just there in August and we had a terrific time. I LOVE the Pacific Northwest, truly "God's Country" by any definition. Seattle and Vancouver are amazing cities and Olympic Park is beautiful. If you have time, check out the Vancouver Aquarium in Stanley Park as it's one of the very best I've been to (with two young kids, I've been to a lot!). I swear, Canadians have to the be the nicest, most accommodating people on the planet and they keep Vancouver spotless. You probably have your hotel settled, but if not I highly recommend The Four Season. The service there will blow your mind. Every night they had fruit, dried nuts, or some other surprise waiting for us. The best part was the giant chocolate chip cookies with our kids names written on them! How cool is that?!? Great people, great food, and awe inspiring scenery. I'm very jealous :).

Have a fantastic vacation!

I will definitely check our the Aquarium if we get into Vancouver. We were thinking about taking the ferry over from Victoria for the day. Right now, we are just going to Vancouver Island, not actually to Vancouver city. At first, we were going to be in Vancouver city for a while and we actually had reservations at the Four Seasons. When we travel, if there is a Four Seasons, we stay there. Expensive, but worth the price. My wife spends a ton of time travelling and wanted to keep the trip more "outdoors" so we decided Vancouver Island would be more up our alley.

Here is a link to the ATV Tour and Zip Line Tours we are going on. Ah, it hurts so bad having to wait. I'm dying here.

http://www.zipwest.ca/default.htm#

http://www.trackntrailatv.com/

I think it's going to be a great trip. We fly into Seattle on a wednesday night and drive to Anacortes (sp?) where we will catch the early ferry to Vancouver Island the next morning. From what I hear, the ferry ride is amazing in it's own right. It goes right through the San Juan Islands.

JSE
09-21-2007, 12:51 PM
HEY!!! Where in Ft. Worth? I'm not that far! What time should I be there? I only like Patron in my Margaritas! :cornut:

I figured you would chime in with free booze an all! :p

I don't know the name of the place but it's a favorite of my mother-in-law's. J T or something maybe. I'm not really sure. I'll be away from the computer but will try and update it the name here. Your, of course, welcome to come by and throw back a few. I plan to be Wasting Away in Magaritaville by 9pm, or at least singing it by then! :nonod:

topspeed
09-21-2007, 02:14 PM
We are staying at the big hotel right on the Harbor in Voctoria. Can't remember the name right now but it's big, stone and covered with ivy. FA nailed it; that's The Empress. Neat, older hotel. Try to stay in the newer part otherwise the rooms are really small. I'd also recommend making time for afternoon tea in their Grand Foyer. The scones and cucumber sandwiches are delicious and it's a lot of fun. The Bengal Room there makes killer martinis and has a very cool, safari motif. Check it out.

At first, we were going to be in Vancouver city for a while and we actually had reservations at the Four Seasons. When we travel, if there is a Four Seasons, we stay there. Expensive, but worth the price. Wholeheartedly agree. You absolutely get what you pay for with that marque. There is a new Four Seasons being built on the water in Seattle which we will definitely avail ourselves of when we return. The Westin that we stayed at was one of the worst hotels I've ever experienced.

Man, you're bringing back all these terrific memories (it was only a month ago!) except I'm stuck in this stupid little farm town :mad2:. You must post pics when you return!

Enjoy!

Speedy

Woochifer
09-21-2007, 07:36 PM
About to step out the door for a swing event (music, not bed partner swapping) with a live burlesque show! :eek: The band leader played our wedding, so this should be a fun occasion.

Otherwise, the weekend will be very subdued, since I just got back from vacation/family reunion down in L.A., and everyone's exhausted!

PeruvianSkies
09-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Got some work projects that I need to do, including a few video productions and doing some graphical layouts for a website that I am working on. Also designing some t-shirts and having that material ordered. Probably keep tabs on my Fantasy Football players despite the fact that I am not a huge fan of football, I still enjoy it. Hopefully spend some time just relaxing a bit, going over to my aunts with my wife tomorrow night for the UFC with Chuck Liddell & Keith Jardine, my uncle is in Anaheim at the fight. Ummm, get my sniper rifle ready and try and pick off a troll that will probably pop up around 3-5am one of these mornings.

Rich-n-Texas
09-22-2007, 08:15 AM
I gotta cut the FREAKIN' grass this weekend. It's HOT out there!

RoyY51
09-22-2007, 04:13 PM
The wife and I are on the first day of a nine day vacation. Although we are going to San Diego for a few days (the Zoo, museums, Wild Animal Park) we're going to spend most of it fixing things up around the house. I'm also hoping to finish up my DIY component rack. I've been working on it, off and on, for a couple of months and I'm getting antsy to Git 'Er Done!

ForeverAutumn
09-23-2007, 02:30 PM
The wife and I are on the first day of a nine day vacation. Although we are going to San Diego for a few days (the Zoo, museums, Wild Animal Park) we're going to spend most of it fixing things up around the house. I'm also hoping to finish up my DIY component rack. I've been working on it, off and on, for a couple of months and I'm getting antsy to Git 'Er Done!

I had the pleasure of visiting San Diego last April for the first time. What a beautiful city it is. My trip was business. While there was some organized site seeing for our conference, there wasn't nearly enough free time to do the things that I wanted to do, like the Zoo and Aquarium. I'm looking forward to going back some day.

L.J.
09-23-2007, 03:59 PM
I went for the first time in May, on vacation with the family, and we loved it. Got caught in some serious traffic though driving back and forth from Anaheim since we stayed at the Embassy suites near Disneyland. We liked it so much that next year we're just gonna do San Diego.

RoyY51
09-23-2007, 05:08 PM
The wife and I have been to San Diego many times in the past and we've always enjoyed it. It is our "mini vacation" of choice. It's close enough to get there in 1 1/2 hours, yet far enough away to feel like we've really gone somewhere. Back in the day, we would rent a catamaran and sail through San Diego harbor all afternoon long, and that night we would go to the club where I was playing and have a great time with the locals. Besides the night life (which we don't do anymore), theme parks, great restaurants and water sports, San Diego also boasts the "best year-round climate in America" as determined by the American Meteorological Society. All in all, a great way to spend a few days.

P.S. I have no affiliation with the San Diego Chamber of Commerce.

PeruvianSkies
09-23-2007, 11:50 PM
In 1997 I was in San Diego/California for a family vacation and it was AWESOME. We flew into SD and I was immediately amazed at what a gorgeous city it was. The biggest things that I remember were: 1. People were out on the streets late at night (I mean like families) and there was a lot of cool things happening even late at night, which is not a common thing in Pittsburgh (which shuts down around 5pm). 2. The Zoo. Amazing Zoo, which is an obvious thing as it's world renown.

My trip to California began in SD, which was a great 2-day trip, then taking the highway up to San Francisco, which was also a great city that I loved, great culture, very musical, and lots of things to see, and was my first experience seeing an openly gay community, which is also not very common around Pittsburgh. Got to see lots there as well, including Alcatraz, Muir Woods, the GG Bridge, Lombard St. and all the other great sites. Plus, we went over to Yosemite for a whole day trip and that was AMAZING to say the least. I wish I could have spent a whole week there.

From SF we went southward on the coastal highway stopping at Pebble Beach, where my dad spent the whole day in the Pro Shop looking at everything twice and I was intrigued by how perfect the grass was there. Then we went to a place called Pffeiffer (sp) beach, which I couldn't tell you how we got there, but it was one of the most beautiful isolated placed I've ever been, just spectacular. The rest of the coastal highway was amazing as well and I couldn't get over just how pretty it is and have wanted to go back since.

Later we stopped nearby LA and the other nearby places like Hollywood, which didn't impress me at all, then back down to SD and back home. I was also in SD in Feb. of 2005, which was a 4-day business trip and it was also great. I remember being out in the Hot-tub at the hotel in the middle of February (also not common in Pittsburgh) and just loving the temperature and we stayed next to the Lego park. I was able to visit a really cool church there as well called NorthCoast, which is a really neat place as well. SD is such a beautiful place and I always thought that the dream job would be a weatherman in SD cause you only have to come out and say the same thing pretty much every single day!

ForeverAutumn
09-24-2007, 04:19 AM
the dream job would be a weatherman in SD cause you only have to come out and say the same thing pretty much every single day!

LMAO! Have you seen the movie Anchorman, with Will Farrell and Christina Applegate? It's about a 6:00 news team in Dan Diego. Steve Carell plays the weatherman, who has an IQ of 48. He is completely stupid and nothing that comes out of his mouth makes sense. His performace is hilarious...the only thing that made the movie worthwhile for me.

PeruvianSkies
09-24-2007, 09:12 AM
LMAO! Have you seen the movie Anchorman, with Will Farrell and Christina Applegate? It's about a 6:00 news team in Dan Diego. Steve Carell plays the weatherman, who has an IQ of 48. He is completely stupid and nothing that comes out of his mouth makes sense. His performace is hilarious...the only thing that made the movie worthwhile for me.

Yeah, pretty bad movie, but the part with Farrel and the erection is just hilarious!

Fred333
09-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Anchorman is a very good movie. A must for the library.

JSE
09-28-2007, 07:53 PM
OK, now I'm bored!

Dull weekend ahead. Helping a friend (free labor) with a garage sale at O-Dark-Freaking-Early tomorrow morning, watching the neighbors dog, mowing the grass. Yep, big excitement here in Houston!

I think I might have to get the Margarita Machine out tomorrow and have some neighbors over in the evening. We're all a bunch of lushes! :frown2:

JSE

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-29-2007, 01:50 PM
I am just taking a break from a 8 hour mixing session. This is one of the busiest times of the year for mixing soundtracks. I will probably be working two weeks straight to meet my deadlines.

For you bluray owners, Pixar and Disney has some real 24bit audio and 1080p video treats for you for the holidays, that is for sure

L.J.
09-29-2007, 02:24 PM
For you bluray owners, Pixar and Disney has some real 24bit audio and 1080p video treats for you for the holidays, that is for sure

That's what I'm talking 'bout :thumbsup: