What the F. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What the F.

PeruvianSkies
09-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Lately I have been watching more and more HD channels through Comcast and have noticed, more than ever, that the audio is ALL OVER THE PLACE. What I mean by that is that sometimes it's really soft on some channels and then other channels are about 2x the volume and every once in awhile a jolt of audio will come flying out of the surrounds briefly as if I am watching a horror movie and the soundtrack is slamming in order to scare the viewer. Then, some channels have very little activity in the front left and right until the commercial comes on and then it's much louder than the show. NBC in HD is one of the worst as it's insanely louder than the rest and also seems to not be in true 5.1 even when it says that it is. Just a mess. Anyone else having trouble with their HD channels?

Rich-n-Texas
09-21-2007, 03:43 AM
Oh, get used to it. I hear the worst sound quality on the local CBS affiliate, 2x the volume than any other channel, and you don't know what kind of surprise you're in for when a commercial comes on. It's nuts!!!

BTW, my local affiliates for the big four networks are OTA.

kexodusc
09-21-2007, 04:39 AM
Yeah, no kidding - even the few Fox stations I get range from mute to clipsville.
384 kpbs Dolby Digital clipping at an unexpected 95 dB ain't good for anybody...(rubs his ears)...

Rich-n-Texas
09-21-2007, 04:59 AM
Yeah, no kidding - even the few Fox stations I get range from mute to clipsville.
384 Dolby clipping at an unexpected 95 dB ain't good for anybody...(rubs his ears)...
Not sure what that means but it sounds it would hurt! :eek:

GMichael
09-21-2007, 05:10 AM
I have issues with our local HD Fox station also. When watching a show, the audio is very scratchy. Like it was recorded with cheap equipment or that the connections are not secure. Then when a commercial comes on, the center and front mains turn off. All I get are the rears and surrounds. (That may be a blessing though) Audio on the std Fox channel seems fine.

Rich-n-Texas
09-21-2007, 05:19 AM
Funny you should mention that. When I get to a commercial, I see the left, center & right indicator lights on the receiver, but I hear the content mostly out of the right channel.

I guess we'll be seeing an HD broadcast rate increase down the road that will coinside with the end of that problem huh?

PeruvianSkies
09-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Funny you should mention that. When I get to a commercial, I see the left, center & right indicator lights on the receiver, but I hear the content mostly out of the right channel.

I guess we'll be seeing an HD broadcast rate increase down the road that will coinside with the end of that problem huh?

My bill just went up from Comcast for having basic HD programming and High-Speed internet from $85/month to $111, so I just cancelled it today.

nightflier
09-21-2007, 11:42 PM
I agree wholeheartedly about the sound quality - there out to be a standard that they have to abide by.

Peru, what about OTA? Most HDTVs nowadays have HD tuners, so all you need to get local HD channels is rabbit ears - and it's free. If you don't have one in your TV, you can buy receivers on eBay for about $60.

PeruvianSkies
09-22-2007, 12:59 AM
I agree wholeheartedly about the sound quality - there out to be a standard that they have to abide by.

Peru, what about OTA? Most HDTVs nowadays have HD tuners, so all you need to get local HD channels is rabbit ears - and it's free. If you don't have one in your TV, you can buy receivers on eBay for about $60.

That is most likely the way I will go, I do have a tuner to use as well. Forget Comcast....those punks.

thekid
09-22-2007, 06:58 AM
This is a common problem, you might want to check your TV manual. My Sony has a feature which basically balances/maintains the sound level regardless of the channel.

nightflier
09-22-2007, 07:31 PM
This is a common problem, you might want to check your TV manual. My Sony has a feature which basically balances/maintains the sound level regardless of the channel.

But what about the different sound formats? My HD TV watching switches from various modes of 5.1 to 2.1 depending on what I'm watching. What the F is that all about? I mean I'm watching 24 in Dolby Digital 5.1 and then when the commercial comes on it switches to ProLogic. That's a #@#$%^$# irritation. There aught to be some kind of regulation that makes the HD stations stick to a single sound format, at the very least during the whole length of a single program.

thekid
09-23-2007, 05:15 AM
But what about the different sound formats? My HD TV watching switches from various modes of 5.1 to 2.1 depending on what I'm watching. What the F is that all about? I mean I'm watching 24 in Dolby Digital 5.1 and then when the commercial comes on it switches to ProLogic. That's a #@#$%^$# irritation. There aught to be some kind of regulation that makes the HD stations stick to a single sound format, at the very least during the whole length of a single program.

Don't disagree with you but isn't the format out of the control of the cable company? I thought the format was chosen by the shows producers/network (for lack of a better term). Action shows like 24, CSI and sports programming are often in 5:1 but your local news cast for example is just run of the mill audio. With HT spreading I think more shows will start focusing on their audio formats but I think that is few years off until digital channels also become the norm.

bobsticks
09-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Don't disagree with you but isn't the format out of the control of the cable company? I thought the format was chosen by the shows producers/network (for lack of a better term). Action shows like 24, CSI and sports programming are often in 5:1 but your local news cast for example is just run of the mill audio. With HT spreading I think more shows will start focusing on their audio formats but I think that is few years off until digital channels also become the norm.

thekid's right and this will probably lead to more of the same mainstream media mediocrity that we see in radio. It's only a matter of time before the FCC steps in with volume regulating measures and yer 20k HT hooked up to digital cable sounds like a bad
64 kbps rip on an ipod.

nightflier
09-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Action shows like 24, CSI and sports programming are often in 5:1

You forgot the #$@%$# commercials (my cursing is directed at the commercials). That's why I watch most action shows (CSI, Battlestar Galactica, 24, Criminal Minds, 4400) on DVD. The only problem is that I have to wait until the season's over +3-4 months, and hope that my employees, friends, and the mags don't spoil the endings for me.

PeruvianSkies
09-23-2007, 11:52 PM
I am going to try this route this week before the Comcast guy comes and disconnects my HD box and see what type of results I get. I will keep everyone posted....Turns out I am able to keep my High Speed internet and basic cable and drop the HD box and save...guess how much....50 bucks! Ridiculous huh?

pixelthis
09-24-2007, 01:55 AM

All of my standard def is dolby 2 channel digital, which sounds good with pro II, hd is DD,
this is part of the standard, ALL HD is supposed to be DD, even standard def on a HD channel is DD.
As for an attenna, I used to get 9 stations, all it took was a 30ft mast mounted on my house, great fun.
Sat or cable HD is a bargain, beleive me:14:

rick390
11-18-2007, 04:49 PM
I thought sometime not long ago that I heard an advertisement for a tv that eqalized the volume across all the channels. Does anyone know of such an hdtv being sold now that does this? I'm going crazy constantly adjusting the volume of my tv as it goes from channel to channel and from network broadcasts to commercials.

pixelthis
11-19-2007, 01:31 AM
I thought sometime not long ago that I heard an advertisement for a tv that eqalized the volume across all the channels. Does anyone know of such an hdtv being sold now that does this? I'm going crazy constantly adjusting the volume of my tv as it goes from channel to channel and from network broadcasts to commercials.

the difference between the quietest sound and the loudest is called dynamic range.
When CD came out it had a 90 db of dynamic range and it took some getting used to.
Same with hifi vhs and later, DVD.
Most DVD players have something called a "nitetime" mode, equalizes out the sound level. Its called "nitetime" because thats when its intended to be used, but you can use
it anytime to get a more equal sound level. Some receivers have this feature also,
as do some TV sets, but if you are into big TV and HT you dont need to be running sound through your TV anyway.
If you're using a digital cable box go into the setup menu and go to the audio section and pick "tv", or "mono" this will give you a
TV like sound more level in volume. They might even have a "nite" option