Where did Jdeare go? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Where did Jdeare go?

ForeverAutumn
09-20-2007, 07:11 AM
I was just drafting up a response to Jdeare's question about modern prog rock and as soon as I went to post it, he deleted it!

Since my response is already drafted I'm going to post it anyway. Jdeare, if you're still around...I hope you find this helpful. If you're gone...well, you'll never know that I tried to help. :nonod:

My response:

If you already know that you like Porcupine Tree then that's a good place to start. I would suggest In Absentia as your starting ground and then work either forward or backward (probably backward) from there.

Along the PT lines, check out Riverside and Opeth’s Damnation (Opeth is a death metal band but Damnation was produced by Steve Wilson of PT and has not a speck of death metal anywhere in it).

If you like Muse, definitely check out …And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead. My fave of theirs is World’s Apart.

Dream Theater is my favourite prog/metal band. As a first CD, I'd recommend Scenes From a Memory. After Scenes, I'd suggest Octavarium. But you'll get differing opinions around here as to what their second best is. Most will agree, however, that Scenes is their best.

A couple of bands that I’ve just been getting into lately are Pain of Salvation and Ayreon. Both are excellent prog bands with a dramatic/theatrical flair in their music.

A few other bands that come immediately to mind are Spock’s Beard and The Flower Kings. And there are so many more!

You haven’t mentioned your age, but if aren’t familiar with the prog of the 1970’s there is mountains of music there to keep you busy.

That should get you started. I’m sure that there are others around here who will pipe in with their own suggestions.

Stick around and let us know what you find yourself listening to. This place needs more Proggers!

jdeare
09-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Sorry, it seemed like most of the info I was looking for was already on the forum, it just took a little looking to find it.

I appreciate the reply!