Jazz recordings with the greatest sound you know of [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jazz recordings with the greatest sound you know of

jim goulding
09-20-2007, 04:50 AM
Jazz lovers and discriminating listeners. I know bob sticks will nominate Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers at Keystone Corner 3 and I can confirm that this is a great recording of a great jazz ensemble in time.

Miles 60's quintet recorded live a bunch but the best musically in my opinion are Miles in Europe and Miles in Tokyo. I think that Miles was more comfortable playing to these audiences for reasons I won't get into here and it shows. Regrettably, the former doesn't qualify as an exceptional recording- the original is pretty coarse- but the latter is first rate! I only wish there was more detail to Ron Carter's bass but think every jazz lover should own this! It's recorded in a very large venue with excellent perspective and a truly appreciative audience. It burns.

One of my demo discs is on Mapleshade, a small purist label: Clifford Jordan- Live at Ethell's. Talk about unprocessed sound. It has bite, reach out and touch it sound and uncompressed dynamics. If you were to hear this on my system you would hear space in a continuum with instrumental and audience sounds appearing so fleshed out and dimensional. It's beguiling here.

But, I'm more interested in what you think and hope to get some good leads I may not know about along with readers to this post. Anyone?

jim goulding
09-21-2007, 11:07 AM
I pretty much put myself center stage from the git. In retrospect, I don't think that was very encouraging and I apologize. I do. however, want to impress the Mapleshade label upon you and recommend that you visit www.mapleshaderecords.com and listen to some samples from their latest releases. They are about a lot more than jazz as you will see. Of course, you won't experience full fidelity on your computer speakers but you'll get an idea. Amongst the recordings you can sample is some extraordinary symphonic music from a composer named Douglas Allenbrook (which I have just ordered). There is some sitar music, folk , etc. There is no other label that records like this. Read About Us at the site for information about why these recordings are so special (live to two track is one reason as in real time). Best wishes.

bobsticks
09-21-2007, 03:08 PM
I don't know, I might surprise you. Keystone 3 is indeed top notch, but I suspect Hank Mobley's Roll Call on 24/96 DAD needs to be in any discussion of classic jazz and quality. There are a few really interesting and righteous releases on this format--Earl Hines and Jimmy Rushing, Dr. John, Ast Davis, Zoot Sims and Al Cohn. Good stuff.

On SACD, The Tribute to Weather Report and The Word Is Out by the Jaco Pastorius Big Band come to mind. Many others...

Actually, on a lark, I picked up a copy of the 20-bit remastered Head Hunters a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for the Mapleshade link. That'll be a fun go-through.

jvc
09-21-2007, 05:34 PM
I like Spyro Gyra a lot. They would be classified as a smooth jazz, more than traditional jazz. They've been around a long time. They have 20+ cds. They have at least one, maybe more, sacd discs. Their site: http://www.spyrogyra.com/ has a couple of video clips, and some mp3s to listen to. If you're not familiar with them, give them a listen. :)

PeruvianSkies
09-21-2007, 09:53 PM
The only two Jazz recordings that I own, which I can truly put at the top of the list in terms of recording quality would be Miles Davis KIND OF BLUE and the Mobile Fidelity SACD of Sonny Rollins PLUS 4.

Swish
09-22-2007, 07:52 AM
As the title implies, it's all Sinatra covers, so if you're not a fan, you may want to pass, but they're done very well and the recording is pristine, and certainly among the very best I've ever heard in cd format. Several tracks are pure instrumental by the way, and his guitar work is excellent.

I also have one in DTS that is probably the best recording I've ever heard in any format, and it would be Freddy Ravel's Soul to Sol. It's what would be classified as Latin Jazz, which isn't exactly my favorite style, but I bought it for the sound quality, and it's dazzling. It really gives makes my 7.1 system shine.

Swish Baby

hifitommy
09-22-2007, 10:35 AM
and the MUSIC is to die for. the concord label has been wonderful in that respect. i have mostly vinyl of these titles and they are certainly worth seeking.

jrhymeammo
09-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Hello, Hank Jones and Clifford Jordan on a Direct Disk :biggrin5:

This has to be the greatest LP I own. This thing is incredibly dynamic and kicks my ass everytime.

JRA

nobody
09-22-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm not real knowledgeable about either jazz or top sound quality, depending just how picky you are. But, I will say that the Fantasy Jazz CDs that have been remastered with the 20bitK2 Super Coding, whatever that is, seem to sound really good, especially considering their age. I just played Miles Davis: Walkin' from that series earlier and remembered this thread. Not sure which other discs they've given this treatment, but I have a Chet Baker: Chet around here somewhere they cleaned up quite well too as part of the same series.

Most of my jazz though tends to be on vinyl, and I like the sound of it that way.

jim goulding
09-23-2007, 07:50 AM
are excellent in my experience. The particular Art Blakey number I mentioned in the opening is on Concord and I have several others. Fantasy. too. Contemporay is another west coast label that is or was consistently excellent. I got an LA Four direct to disc in my collection (shout out to Tommy). Fine sounding. Very warm and pure with LIFE. Actually, I have quite a few DTD's including a few on East Wind which is getting some play on the site for their CD releases. Anybody got a copy of Charlie Byrd on 45RPM Crystal Clear Records? Anybody else have any Mapleshade CD's?

Rock records with this kind of fidelity may not exist. I think AJA was/is an effort to do this. Keep em coming, yo!

bobsticks
09-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Rock records with this kind of fidelity may not exist. I think AJA was/is an effort to do this. Keep em coming, yo!

Whattya think of Donald ***an's Morph The Cat?

The Yellowjackets' Time Squared off the HeadsUP label has some serious LFE on the 5.1 version. I mean really moves some air...

I get alot of enjoyment from the McCoy Tyner SACDs from Chesky. They may be a little disconcerting for those having grown up with compressed and pumped-volume affairs. The recording/mastering levels are significantly lower, but with amps properly cranked you get all that Chesky goodness.

hifitommy
09-23-2007, 09:33 AM
yup, i have the DTD by the four, the charlie byrd, and the laurindo almeida DTDs bought new when they came out (except the aforementioned LA4 disc (recently acquired).

the mapleshade CDs lack in variety of high caliber artists although there are some.

the sheffields with harry james, dave grusin, thelma houston, and james newton howard are all worht the effort to get them. i have those too.

also, woody herman-road father-DTD is a great performance to have on hand.