Downloading lossless off iTunes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Downloading lossless off iTunes

topspeed
09-19-2007, 03:18 PM
How do I download songs off iTunes in lossless format? I've only downloaded one song in 2 years (usually just burn discs onto the Nano), but the one time I did I noticed it downloaded at AAC 128. Naturally, I'd prefer lossless to my computer and then I'll change the compression to the iPod if I feel like it.

Thanks in advance.

noddin0ff
09-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Hey TS,

To the best of my knowledge, the iTunes store doesn't offer lossless files. They offer a higher-res versions of some stuff under the heading of iTunes Plus that is also DRM free. But I don't believe any is available lossless.

keep dreaming!

Rich-n-Texas
09-20-2007, 06:23 AM
I'm going to be downloading some iTunes purchases tonite TS, but I think noddingOff is right. IIRC, the regular downloads are "AAC Protected..."

I just recently re-installed the latest iTunes program, and I was trying to find where you can buy the DRM free music. I saw the iTunes Plus option somewhere but now I don't remember if it was in the Preferences menu or somewhere else. ???

GMichael
09-20-2007, 07:10 AM
I still buy all my music in CD form.

Rich-n-Texas
09-20-2007, 07:15 AM
That's great!

topspeed
09-20-2007, 10:22 AM
I was afraid you guys were going to tell me that. It was either ask the good people at AR or find the nearest 12 year old :rolleyes:.

As mentioned, normally I just burn cd's, but I heard Suzanne Vega & Joe Jackson's "Left of Center" on the radio the other day for the first time since the '80's and remembered how much I liked that song. Not wanting to buy Vega's Greatest Hits, which is the only way you can find the song, I figured I take my first shot at iTunes. Man, they make that too easy. I can see how people crank up huge bills in no time flat!

Thanks for your help, it sounds like I'll be sticking to my cd's.

audio_dude
09-20-2007, 06:04 PM
damn, how'd I miss this thread in my own domain??

ah well.

Yeah, you can't download any lossless stuff. but you can download DRM-free 256kbps AAC files from iTunes plus like was said before. They a tiny bit pricier, but whatever.

Oh, and I think you can actually upgrade the songs you've already bought if they are availible in the better format, it only costs like 30c i think??

audio_dude
01-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Update:

DRM free songs from iTMS are now 99cents like everything else. DOWN WITH DRM!

and good for Steve Jobs for helping the movement.

Modernaire
01-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Update:

DRM free songs from iTMS are now 99cents like everything else. DOWN WITH DRM!

and good for Steve Jobs for helping the movement.

He's helping the movement? 99 cent for lossy, you get roughly the same and lossless with CDs AND a full booklet you can hold in your hand. Not a deal I think. Ive never and wont ever from the ITMS.

audio_dude
01-03-2008, 09:59 PM
i too never download from the iTMS, but for all the people that do, it's pretty good. I'm not sure, but I think the DRM free tracks are all encoded at 256kbps aac, which is pretty good.

It is very convenient to download a single song from ether an artist who you cannot find their CD anywhere, or some one hit wonder you do not wish to pay $15 for a full CD.

Rock&Roll Ninja
01-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Some albums on iTunes even have booklets (I'll assume you own a printer).

Its not lossless yet, but at the current rate of change they will be in 2011.

squeegy200
01-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Lossless iTunes coming soon

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/natelanxon/0,139102300,49294808,00.htm

Rock&Roll Ninja
01-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Sweet. I'll start looking for a rusty piece of rebar that FYE (The local overpriced chain) can use to screw themselves with.

pixelthis
01-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Once you go FLAC you never go back:ihih:

audio_dude
01-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Once you go FLAC you never go back:ihih:

mmm...flac cannon... wait. I don't think we're on the same page here ;)

FLAC is probably the best lossless format available right now.

noddin0ff
01-17-2008, 05:05 AM
mmm...flac cannon... wait. I don't think we're on the same page here ;)

FLAC is probably the best lossless format available right now.

"Best" I assume being defined as "usable on most all devices"?...except the iPod? After all, lossless is lossless...

pixelthis
01-18-2008, 12:26 AM
"Best" I assume being defined as "usable on most all devices"?...except the iPod? After all, lossless is lossless...

Flac is available on a few Chinese portable players, and Volvo car stereos (or is that APE)
The industry is deliberatly ignoring the format because of its lack of support for DRM.
Well, to heck with em, This is a great codec, my stuff sounds great recorded in it, and my
portable is fried anyway.
When they come out with a new one that supports flac maybe I 'LL TRY IT.
So I am wondering , is there a PDA or something that will load a flac front end?:1:

noddin0ff
01-18-2008, 05:04 AM
Flac is available on a few Chinese portable players, and Volvo car stereos (or is that APE)
The industry is deliberatly ignoring the format because of its lack of support for DRM.
Well, to heck with em, This is a great codec, my stuff sounds great recorded in it, and my
portable is fried anyway.
When they come out with a new one that supports flac maybe I 'LL TRY IT.
So I am wondering , is there a PDA or something that will load a flac front end?:1:

One could argue that since it doesn't support DRM, then it is an inferior format. While I agree that big players in the music distribution industry could be accused of DRM abuse, I've long felt that individual artists should be able to sell digital files directly to consumers. And, they should be able to apply DRM in any form they wish. Personally, I'd like to see an open source model of DRM. Rights management for the little guy so they could bypass the industry altogether. Lossless, of course.

pixelthis
01-21-2008, 01:55 AM
One could argue that since it doesn't support DRM, then it is an inferior format. While I agree that big players in the music distribution industry could be accused of DRM abuse, I've long felt that individual artists should be able to sell digital files directly to consumers. And, they should be able to apply DRM in any form they wish. Personally, I'd like to see an open source model of DRM. Rights management for the little guy so they could bypass the industry altogether. Lossless, of course.

We are on the same page.
Being an ex cop, a libertarian who beleives in property rights, I'd much rather pay for quality than get crap for free.
People who DL "free" stuff wouldn't work for free themselves , why would they expect others to?
Its just that we do need lossless, this is no longer the age of 56k, and as far as Flac,
etc, why shouldnt I be able to rip and play stuff I already bought in any format I want onto a
portable?
A lot of paranoia from music producers and industry types is centered on the home consumer, and they are the least of the problem, meanwhile Chinese and other asian duplicators are turning out bootlegs by the boatload(and you can load a LOT on a modern containerized cargo boat)