Speakers in HT, going from big to small. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speakers in HT, going from big to small.

Sight
09-19-2007, 12:43 PM
So I have a system based on B&W DM 603 + 601 + Sub, NAD T760 reciever. I have come to enjoy the sound of these greatly but due to moving I have some constraints on the size of the system due to my room, and I would now like to go the "invisible" route. That is discreet speakers, preferably wall mountable.
Room size is 3x5 (9x15 feet)meters, open "bar wall" to kitchen and a high ceiling 3m (9ft), so there is some space to it.
I have heard some sattelite systems sound very good in ever bigger rooms, so I think this is the route I want to go now.

Price I want to pay for 5 speakers is about 500 to 1000 $, sub is optional since I got one.
Design is also very important.

So I have come here to I hope to get some sound advice before I go looking in detail.

/Regards Sight.

Also do I need a new reciever since the one I got has analog inputs (5.1) to enjoy the latest and greatest sound formats?

PeruvianSkies
09-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Well, perhaps.

I personally think that the compromise that you will have to make going to a 'invisible' system, especially for the budget you have in mind, would not be worth it at all. I mean, yes it's possible to get something in that price range that will meet your needs, but at what cost in terms of quality? Probably more than most of us would prefer, but that's where you will have to make the call, not us.

musicman1999
09-19-2007, 01:47 PM
PS is correct there will be a drop in sound quality,perhaps a big one,not having heard your system.Only you can decide if that is OK. High quality small speakers are out there but will cost a fair bit more money.

bill

pixelthis
09-20-2007, 01:00 AM
I saw a HTIB from Sony at Sears, the size of a transistor radio, with a large "bass module"
that could be stowed away. But the neat thing was the speakers, five identical ones
the size of a quarter.
For sound quality tho go with deftech, they make a great mini-monitor, several in fact,
and complete systems complete with subs.
But they are geared toward HT, thouhh they do handle music quite well.
I had a pair that I used for surrounds once:1:

(deftech is short for definitive technology BTW)

PeruvianSkies
09-20-2007, 08:24 PM
I saw a HTIB from Sony at Sears, the size of a transistor radio, with a large "bass module"
that could be stowed away. But the neat thing was the speakers, five identical ones
the size of a quarter.
For sound quality tho go with deftech, they make a great mini-monitor, several in fact,
and complete systems complete with subs.
But they are geared toward HT, thouhh they do handle music quite well.
I had a pair that I used for surrounds once:1:

(deftech is short for definitive technology BTW)

Well, since they look like Bose speakers, they must sound the same too, according to your logic on all speakers that look alike, sound alike.

pixelthis
09-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Well, since they look like Bose speakers, they must sound the same too, according to your logic on all speakers that look alike, sound alike.
Funny, but thanks for showing your ignorance.
These speakers look NOTHING like Bose.
And Bose doesnt make serious speakers anymore, you can't define any of the
"acoustimess" system as a seperate "speaker", its an integrated system.
Bose does make seperate speakers, but they are junk:1:
Like a lot of Canadian speakers I have listened to:thumbsup:

Sight
09-21-2007, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the responce so far, I was hoping for a bit more tips on the options out there.
I'm aware that the sound quality will suffer with satelites, but the aim of this thread is to get a focus on whats decent out there in the price/size range, avoiding the bad picks and highlighting the top performers.
So far I got a few tips from friends:

KEF 2005.2
http://www.kef.com/KHT/KHT2005.2/sat.htm

Klipsch Cinema 6 System
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/cinema-6.aspx

PeruvianSkies
09-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Funny, but thanks for showing your ignorance.
These speakers look NOTHING like Bose.
And Bose doesnt make serious speakers anymore, you can't define any of the
"acoustimess" system as a seperate "speaker", its an integrated system.
Bose does make seperate speakers, but they are junk:1:
Like a lot of Canadian speakers I have listened to:thumbsup:

My Canadian speakers will go toe-to-toe with yours any day. I never said that speakers that look alike sound alike, that would be your words of infinite not-so-much wisdom as seen in amazing display on this thread:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=207113#post207113

nightflier
09-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Focal makes a wall-mountable set called the the "Sib&Co" series. You might want to check them out. I haven't heard them, but Focal is a company with respectable pedigree. Also check out Vienna. I have the Webern speakers in my HT room and they are very good, but they have a smaller speaker called the Berg that might fit your need. You will need to find them second hand to fit your budget, though.

flippo
09-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Mirage make good satellite speakers with omnisat v2 satellites, goto miragespeakers.com
to check them out. Ihave a pair and I love them. Must use sub with them though.

Also to PS and pixelthis must you make every thread a flame war between you? grow up a little.

PeruvianSkies
09-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Also to PS and pixelthis must you make every thread a flame war between you? grow up a little.

Sorry, no can do. I stick up for myself and my friends. I am not a doormat for any troll and will continue to battle anyone who tries to attack me or anyone else. If you don't like it, then skip our battle.

ldgibson76
09-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the responce so far, I was hoping for a bit more tips on the options out there.
I'm aware that the sound quality will suffer with satelites, but the aim of this thread is to get a focus on whats decent out there in the price/size range, avoiding the bad picks and highlighting the top performers.
$
KEF 2005.2

Klipsch Cinema 6 System

Hello "Sight".

5.1 Sat speaker system, installation friendly, versatility, dynamc sound, $1000 ceiling?
Klipsch Reference Cinema 6 is the answer. But I would step up to the Cinema 8 for $200 more. Better center channel.

Regards!

Mr Peabody
09-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Your NAD will be fine with upcoming HD disc formats using the multi-channel analog connections and you will probably avoid a lot of headaches going that way.

If you liked the B&W I'm not so sure Klipsch will be your thing, the KEF would be closer maybe to what you are used to. The other suggestions are good too.

PS, defending is one thing, but when you two get into personal wars, you've basically hijacked the thread at that point.

PeruvianSkies
09-22-2007, 09:45 PM
PS, defending is one thing, but when you two get into personal wars, you've basically hijacked the thread at that point.

If you go back and look through the threads, you will clearly see that this little troll begins things by purposely trying to start conflict, unlike most people, I refuse to just let that slide....I defend myself and you will clearly see by majority of my responses that I am not in an attack stance, but a defensive positioning and arguing my points with evidence from various threads/posts.

If the mods would do their job and boot this troll, we wouldn't have the problems that we have around here. I've always got along with 99.9% of the people around here and even the people that I have had little tiffs with, usually blow over in the end.

It would be one thing if all of my posts were in regards to this troll, but I don't think it takes much time to figure out that I contribute a great deal to this site and I am also very interested in seeing this site thrive, which is why I am opposed to trolls in the first place.

Mr Peabody
09-23-2007, 05:57 AM
I'm not blaming you, it takes two to tango. But look at this thread, and other conflicts with you two may have started this way,you addressed Pix first by opposing his statement on Def Tech and bringing up issues from a previous dispute. Then he feels he must defend himself. It just may have been more productive if you posted a link, or pic of the Def Tech you think looks like Bose and stayed away from old baggage. I feel the board would be better served if one of you took the high road and stayed focused on the issue and avoided personal attacks, or even avoid addressing each other directly. It's just my opinion, and apparently some others, I'm not going to say anymore about it after this, I don't want to further hijack the thread.

PeruvianSkies
09-23-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm not blaming you, it takes two to tango. But look at this thread, and other conflicts with you two may have started this way,you addressed Pix first by opposing his statement on Def Tech and bringing up issues from a previous dispute. Then he feels he must defend himself. It just may have been more productive if you posted a link, or pic of the Def Tech you think looks like Bose and stayed away from old baggage. I feel the board would be better served if one of you took the high road and stayed focused on the issue and avoided personal attacks, or even avoid addressing each other directly. It's just my opinion, and apparently some others, I'm not going to say anymore about it after this, I don't want to further hijack the thread.

Well, there are two types of community: true community and fake community. Fake community is happy and pleasant, but never really gets anywhere. True community is ugly and messy, but this is where it becomes more developed and interesting. What point would there be if no one argued or debated with one another? I realize that you don't particularly like my style of doing things, but in all fairness at least there is activity happening when the threads turn messy, otherwise they get little posts and most of the time become a tumbleweed thread within a day or two.

Obviously I don't like Pix, never have, probably never will. I think he is one of the worst trolls to hit this place and no one else really seems to care. About 90% of his posts are troll-ish with very few of them being helpful or conducive to a conversation. Again, I realize that it takes two to tango, but I also contribute to this site in many other ways, i.e. starting over 170 threads in just under a year...that's some serious activity. I'm not trying to make myself sound good, I am just stating the facts. I am one of the few people around here that sticks up to this particular troll and I guess it serves me right to now get persecuted for it, but just the same, many people have PM'd me telling me to keep doing what I am doing and not let this troll have the final word. I never back down from a fight though and I will continue to stand up for what I believe. I don't agree with someone coming here and passing off their opinions as fact or trying to start battles by delivering attack-like remarks. It's also frustrating for them to speak against things without direct experience and while this is a free forum to post your thoughts and opinions, there is a fine line between doing that and doing it in such a way that is controlling of the thread. Others also recognize Pix as a troll for his comments and he continues to try and bring down this forum with his ridiculous banter.

herm0016
09-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Well, there are two types of community: true community and fake community. Fake community is happy and pleasant, but never really gets anywhere. True community is ugly and messy, but this is where it becomes more developed and interesting. What point would there be if no one argued or debated with one another? I realize that you don't particularly like my style of doing things, but in all fairness at least there is activity happening when the threads turn messy, otherwise they get little posts and most of the time become a tumbleweed thread within a day or two.

Obviously I don't like Pix, never have, probably never will. I think he is one of the worst trolls to hit this place and no one else really seems to care. About 90% of his posts are troll-ish with very few of them being helpful or conducive to a conversation. Again, I realize that it takes two to tango, but I also contribute to this site in many other ways, i.e. starting over 170 threads in just under a year...that's some serious activity. I'm not trying to make myself sound good, I am just stating the facts. I am one of the few people around here that sticks up to this particular troll and I guess it serves me right to now get persecuted for it, but just the same, many people have PM'd me telling me to keep doing what I am doing and not let this troll have the final word. I never back down from a fight though and I will continue to stand up for what I believe. I don't agree with someone coming here and passing off their opinions as fact or trying to start battles by delivering attack-like remarks. It's also frustrating for them to speak against things without direct experience and while this is a free forum to post your thoughts and opinions, there is a fine line between doing that and doing it in such a way that is controlling of the thread. Others also recognize Pix as a troll for his comments and he continues to try and bring down this forum with his ridiculous banter.

but, you do not have to ruin every thread someone starts and he responds to. you are not helping the community in this way. stand up for your self, don't ruin every one else's questions. you seem to do this on a regular bases. threads that are full of bickering help no one anyway.

PeruvianSkies
09-23-2007, 03:12 PM
but, you do not have to ruin every thread someone starts and he responds to. you are not helping the community in this way. stand up for your self, don't ruin every one else's questions. you seem to do this on a regular bases. threads that are full of bickering help no one anyway.

Well, I love how everyone blames me for the issue, instead of the source: the troll. Nice to know where everyones loyalty stands.

musicman1999
09-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Ignore him and perhaps he will stop pushing your buttons,cause he knows you will respond,over and over.

bill

Mr Peabody
09-23-2007, 05:39 PM
C'mon PS, we still love you man.

PeruvianSkies
09-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Ignore him and perhaps he will stop pushing your buttons,cause he knows you will respond,over and over.

bill

OR, banish him from this site, like the mods should have done by now. Or at least warn him since it is quite obvious that his posts are only intended for arguments sake.

pixelthis
09-24-2007, 01:08 AM

bill

Whos pusing his buttons?
Everytime I post something he attacks it, EVERYTIME.
Hes just trying to bully me off of this site, doesnt like what I have to say:1:

pixelthis
09-24-2007, 01:11 AM

KEF 2005.2

Klipsch Cinema 6 System

No reason for sound quality to suffer from sat/sub system.
Did you know that the sub-sattelite system started out as an audiophile idea?
THE IDEA WAS TO PUT THE BASS IN ONE SPEAKER (A SUB) since bass is largely
omni-directional. Then the sats could put out better midrange since they didn't have to
chug bass. That was the idea, anyway.
I have heard a lot of sub/sat systems that sound great:14:

pixelthis
09-26-2007, 12:49 AM

Maybe some don't care because they know I am no troll, just rather outspoken.
This post typifies your problem, you write "rules" and think everybody should adhere
to them, and the main rule is that everybody should agree with you.
Well, sorry if I don't, and yes, I am wrong sometimes, its called being human,
but I really don't like your speakers, never have liked any Canadian speaker I HAVE EVER LISTENED TO, they are typical of whats wrong with this hobby, homogenized
gear from hugh manufacturing conglomerates with all of the personality of a microwave oven. Save a few bucks and get some Polks from circuit city.
and try to listen to something besides psb every once in awhile, might surprize yourself.
But I doubt it:1:

PeruvianSkies
09-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Maybe some don't care because they know I am no troll, just rather outspoken.
This post typifies your problem, you write "rules" and think everybody should adhere
to them, and the main rule is that everybody should agree with you.
Well, sorry if I don't, and yes, I am wrong sometimes, its called being human,
but I really don't like your speakers, never have liked any Canadian speaker I HAVE EVER LISTENED TO, they are typical of whats wrong with this hobby, homogenized
gear from hugh manufacturing conglomerates with all of the personality of a microwave oven. Save a few bucks and get some Polks from circuit city.
and try to listen to something besides psb every once in awhile, might surprize yourself.
But I doubt it:1:

Answer one question: which model of PSB speakers have you listened to? Simple question.

Mr Peabody
09-26-2007, 05:28 PM
I Thought The Rule Was Everyone Had To Agree With Me?

pixelthis
09-26-2007, 11:14 PM
I Thought The Rule Was Everyone Had To Agree With Me?

Thats fine, just don't start talking about the aliens again:(

PeruvianSkies
09-26-2007, 11:27 PM
Thats fine, just don't start talking about the aliens again:(

Can you answer my question below?

Luvin Da Blues
09-27-2007, 05:00 AM
Answer one question: which model of PSB speakers have you listened to? Simple question.

Hmmmmm....I'm thinkin' the Top of Line PCB Plutoniums, the guy had a white mobile sound room.

Fred333
09-27-2007, 06:56 AM
What aliens were you guys talking about?

PeruvianSkies
09-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Hmmmmm....I'm thinkin' the Top of Line PCB Plutoniums, the guy had a white mobile sound room.

Maybe PBS will do a documentary on it!

pixelthis
09-27-2007, 10:37 PM
What aliens were you guys talking about?

That was a jab at Mr P, just funnin is all.
As for what model of PSB , well, what did you eat for breakfast three years ago?
I stopped caring about model numbers long ago, now I just pay attention when shopping.
I am not even current on B&W, and I like them! that new 700 series sounds nice.
Nobody but the most ardent fanatic, or salesperson, is going to be able to remember a model number years after they have listened to something.
You get to a point where your brain starts throwing stuff out (Note to self, reread the fountainhead):1:

Grandpaw
09-28-2007, 04:16 AM
I haven't been here in awhile to read and try and learn something, and this thread is a good example of why !!! After reading this thread I looked, and if all the posts were kept that ONLY talked about the original question and NOTHING ELSE this thread would go from thirty something to about four or five. I am not technically minded nor do I have the knowledge to contribute much either but after reading ALL THESE posts I don't feel I have gained a thing. This is an observation from a unbiased reader who has gotten nothing out of this thread, Jeff