Suggestions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions

Loats at home
09-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Hello All.... just joined in ...need some recommendations for a intergated amp in 100 watt range for my Yamaha NS 1000 M speakers.Should have a MM phono input for my Linn Axis Turntable........:

dingus
09-19-2007, 11:42 AM
if you can find one, the Yamaha MX-1000 would make a killer match.

jim goulding
09-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Are those Yamahas the old 3 ways with berylinium drivers? Probably spelled that wrong.
I've read that tube amps are popular with those speakers in Japan cause they're are kinda bright in nature. I didn't realize that they are so inefficient as to require that much wattage for good output unless you listen in a very large room, I suppose. I'd look into the Prima Luna Prologue Two as a partner. For solid state the Creek 5350SE is a reputable and neutral source but they are 85WPC and probably don't have the guts of a 50W tube unit. Check Audiogon for a large variety of used gear.

Mr Peabody
09-28-2007, 10:13 PM
A big question is what price range are you looking at? Jolida has a highly regarded integrated at around $550.00. Onkyo's 9555 digital integrated, which I do believe has phono, is getting rave reviews, I can't remember the price. Jim's suggestions are good. In my opinion the Creek is strong, it will have more detail and quickness over a PremaLuna or Jolida but if you are willing to give up the detail the later amps will sound fuller in the bottom, yet the Creek will reach lower. Most of these companies will offer an internal phono amp for additional money. This is usually a good value.

In my experience, speakers are not yamaha's strong suit. You could also look around for a vintage integrated by Yamaha or Sansui.

dingus
09-28-2007, 10:35 PM
In my experience, speakers are not yamaha's strong suit.
agreed, but there are exceptions to every rule, the NS-1000 being just that.