HD-DVD - pretty good so far. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HD-DVD - pretty good so far.

emaidel
09-19-2007, 05:27 AM
I recently "took the plunge" and purchased a Sharp AQUOS 46" LCD flat panel TV, as well as the TOTL Toshsiba HD-DVD player. I once had a surround setup in my home in Colorado, but now don't; still, I've connected these units to a very high quality 2-channel audio system: Adcom GFP-565 pre, Rotel RB-980X amp and a pair of B&W 802F Specials. Not quite the visceral effect of surround, but superb fidelity, and a bass response that's so good a sub isn't needed.

I chose the HD-DVD format over Blue-Ray since the technology behind is is from Microsoft, and I think the clout Microsoft has in the technology field may result in this format winning out. That's only a guess at this point, and it's far too early to say which format will survive. One would think that after the older "wars" between competing formats that manufacturers would have learned their lesson by now...

While I only own a couple of HD-DVD's (and, whenever I order a DVD from Netflix, they send me the HD version if it's available), I think the best thing about the player is the manner in which it upconverts standard DVD's to "near HD quality." I have no idea (nor do I care) exactly what's happening during this "up-converting" process, but I know that the quality of the image is infinitely superior to that of a standard DVD player. I have a couple of DVD's of very old films, and one in particular, "The Greatest Story Ever Told," has always been a difficult DVD to watch on a regular TV screen, or even on a large, flat panel screen. The opening credits of the film are simply impossible to read on a standard TV screen, and a bit difficult to read when shown on a flat panel one via a regular DVD player. On the HD player, however, the image is startlingly clear, and each and every word of the credits is legible. The film also has many shots filmed in darkness or shadow, and viewed through the upconverting process of the HD player, all scenes are very clear and distinct.

Still, the jury is out as to whether HD or Blue Ray will be the lasting medium, or even if yet another one will arrive! I paid $399.95 for the player, and then it went on sale (at Best Buy) for $100 less, and I did get a $100 refund on the difference. Still, $299.95 is a far cry from the price of an ordinary DVD player. Also, the player doesn't work in the manner ordinary players do: it's very slow to start up, which is downright annoying. The owner's manual states that this is due to the circuitry having to ready itself, but one would think that Toshsiba could have done a better job.

Sonically, the system is glorious, and the sound from either HD broadcasts, or any decent DVD on the Toshiba player is terrific. Like most DVD players, the Toshiba player plays standard CD's, but does so poorly. Maybe someday manufacturers will spend a little more time and effort on this seemingly neglected aspect.

In the meantime, should one rush out and spend $300 on this Toshiba unit? No, but it's still a pretty decent unit, and one could do a lot worse.

dean_martin
09-20-2007, 07:24 AM
I have the Toshiba player too. Circuit City had it on sale for $269.99 a couple weeks ago and Best Buy matched it. Picked up an AR HDMI cable with a 20% off coupon which can be found online at BB's site. Really good deals on AR Pro II series component and hdmi cables if you can find them. I think BB is clearing out its AR line and will carry only a cheap line - Dynex- and Monster. The AR Pro II series is quite a bit heftier than the Performance series but there aren't many left at my local stores.

Anyhow, I agree with you on the player. It does very well with SD dvds on my Panasonic 50" 720p plasma via HDMI. It bests my older Pioneer Elite player via component with sd dvds. It is agonizingly slow though. I was going to wait and get my 5 free HD-DVDs from Toshiba before buying up HD-DVDs since they're still quite pricey but of course the fine print on the rebate form said 8-10 weeks for processing. Guess I need to pick up at least one title before the freebies get here.

PeruvianSkies
09-20-2007, 09:46 PM
I have the Toshiba player too. Circuit City had it on sale for $269.99 a couple weeks ago and Best Buy matched it. Picked up an AR HDMI cable with a 20% off coupon which can be found online at BB's site. Really good deals on AR Pro II series component and hdmi cables if you can find them. I think BB is clearing out its AR line and will carry only a cheap line - Dynex- and Monster. The AR Pro II series is quite a bit heftier than the Performance series but there aren't many left at my local stores.

Anyhow, I agree with you on the player. It does very well with SD dvds on my Panasonic 50" 720p plasma via HDMI. It bests my older Pioneer Elite player via component with sd dvds. It is agonizingly slow though. I was going to wait and get my 5 free HD-DVDs from Toshiba before buying up HD-DVDs since they're still quite pricey but of course the fine print on the rebate form said 8-10 weeks for processing. Guess I need to pick up at least one title before the freebies get here.

I am curious how the HD-players handle Redbook CD's for music playback. Anyone have any feedback.

musicman1999
09-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Do the low end Toshiba's even have analog outputs?

bill

Rich-n-Texas
09-21-2007, 05:22 AM
It's good to see someone posting about a good experience with HD-DVD.

Or is it?

PeruvianSkies
09-21-2007, 08:53 PM
It's good to see someone posting about a good experience with HD-DVD.

Or is it?

Pfffft. Yeah, like HD-DVD is going to last long...ha. Haven't you heard? Blu-ray already won...sooner or later HD-DVD will be just like that whole Internet Fad...here one moment, gone the next.

Rich-n-Texas
09-22-2007, 07:30 AM
Pfffft. Yeah, like HD-DVD is going to last long...ha. Haven't you heard? Blu-ray already won...sooner or later HD-DVD will be just like that whole Internet Fad...here one moment, gone the next.
Yes, the Great Oz has spoken hasn't he? And LCD already won too didn't it? ("It's official") :frown2:

pixelthis
09-24-2007, 01:58 AM
Yes, the Great Oz has spoken hasn't he? And LCD already won too didn't it? ("It's official") :frown2:

YUP!!!:yesnod: