Living room compromise [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Living room compromise

Corto Maltese
09-18-2007, 09:48 PM
I finally tossed out the crap that I had in living room (Kenwood), and went out to buy something used, but good and as cheap as possible:
Dual 1225 (original, Made in Germany, lid and all) + Shure M75; $150
Pioneer 6500 II; $100
Tannoy C-10; $75
Denon 556 DVD; $78
All in very good condition (bought Denon as demo).
Reason for pinch is that I have parties in that room, and it is just given that abuse will happen. Like, some happy guest might try to share a glass of vine with Dual…
So, I bought what I bought, trading in Kenwood stereo, Marantz tape deck for parts, old Sharp TV… got rid of some garbage, got some more…
But, I was in for a very nice surprise: I got sound stage, nice and warm sound, and clarity and bass in balance. I can drop the vinyl on, or mp3, it does not matter, overall sound is 8/10 for acoustic and classical music. It slurs a bit (mid to mid-lows) on r’n’r vinyl - Made In Japan, Cream or ACDC (I have kids as well…), but is still far above da Kenwood…

Enough bragging (and I did not list everything I have – or had!), I have q:
Does anyone have specs on Tannoy C-10?
I know they are part of Comet series, and were “popular” (read cheap) Tannoy speakers, they should be 125 W, and it looks like Pioneer 6500 II with 35 W p/ch is driving them with ease and surprising quality. I'm just worried a bit about underpowering.
Thank you all.

dingus
09-19-2007, 01:28 AM
i cant help with info on the C-10, but as long as the amp is behaving normally and the sound is "right" (ie; it doesnt sound stressed or like its being pushed to its limits), and you dont get too aggressive with the volume control, then it should do just fine with the Tannoy's. btw, nice complete rig for $400.

Corto Maltese
09-19-2007, 05:00 AM
Thanks, dingus
I could not go far with the volume. When I tested it, I went to 5, and furniture started moving... My wife was strongly protesting, talking about possible military intervention.
I am using maximum of 2 to 3, it is plenty for the room of about 450 sq. f. Speakers are placed carefully, connected with gauge 16 cable (recycling), entire lil’ rig is behaving very nice. No stress, no blur, and mashing of the mid to mid-low frequencies is very faint and only for the particular type of sound / music, which can be attributed to my hearing - I played in the band and recorded for about dozen years, and worked in NVH testing for automotive industry for about 7 years… It can get very subjective, too demanding. As you said, I should not complain - price was very good.

dingus
09-19-2007, 06:21 AM
it should do very well with movies too. i actually prefer 2 channel over 5.1 / 7.1.

Fred333
09-19-2007, 07:26 AM
Do you have pictures of the new setup? I always like to see what others do with their setups.

mikemorrow
09-19-2007, 08:42 AM
$400 you did GREAT! :cornut:

Corto Maltese
09-20-2007, 09:51 PM
I just came home.
I'll take some pics in the morning (it is now 1:42 AM here), and I'll post them.
Some of the 5.1 or 7.1 are really good, but most of the movies are not done in surround, or not done well. From time to time, you will find the movie, with sound effect which become alive on 5.1, and when you see / hear same movie on stereo, most of that is missing...
ie: my kids are complaining that LOTR has rather good 5.1, and their favourite Miazaki has no "true" surround on any of his movies. Spoiled... More in the morning.

Corto Maltese
09-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Finally...
I got some logistics problems, but at least 2 pics are on.
I place speakers as I hear them, and if necessary, move the chair in the sweet spot. As this little amp can push, and speakers can deliver, room is filled with good sound. For glorious, I should spend a bit more money. But I am happy as it is. For now.
That sofa is perfect place for snoozing, but it is obvious where the G spot is.
In the den, I have Harman Kardon AVR 130, Harman Kardon DVD 22, JBL 5.1 (inexpensive crap) and Sharp Aquos. With time, I would change speakers. Everything else works fine.
Movies where 5.1 / 7.1 remix is done right would make anybody grin. Placement of the speakers is (again) personal thing, matter of perception. I found that placing the rears on the front just few feet higher and further gives me a “panoramic” effect of the sound. I did it for few movies, and I liked it.

PeruvianSkies
09-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Finally...
I got some logistics problems, but at least 2 pics are on.
I place speakers as I hear them, and if necessary, move the chair in the sweet spot. As this little amp can push, and speakers can deliver, room is filled with good sound. For glorious, I should spend a bit more money. But I am happy as it is. For now.
That sofa is perfect place for snoozing, but it is obvious where the G spot is.
In the den, I have Harman Kardon AVR 130, Harman Kardon DVD 22, JBL 5.1 (inexpensive crap) and Sharp Aquos. With time, I would change speakers. Everything else works fine.
Movies where 5.1 / 7.1 remix is done right would make anybody grin. Placement of the speakers is (again) personal thing, matter of perception. I found that placing the rears on the front just few feet higher and further gives me a “panoramic” effect of the sound. I did it for few movies, and I liked it.

Ahhhh, so that's where the G spot is!!!!

Fred333
09-25-2007, 12:53 PM
Very nice pics. Thanks for posting them

GMichael
09-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Indeed. All very nice.
Can you elevate those speakers at all? You'd be surprised at the difference of having them at ear level.

dingus
09-25-2007, 03:15 PM
... Can you elevate those speakers at all? You'd be surprised at the difference of having them at ear level.
definitely, you wont find a better upgrade for the money.

i did a pair of very simple DIY speaker stands, for my HT rig, that i think work great. these are designed to be low profile stands. the back of the stand is shorter than the front so that the speakers are tilted back, allowing the drivers to point at ear level in the sitting position. the hardest part is figuring out how much angle you want, simple trial and error was how i came to my solution. the last thing you need to do is to affix the speakers to the stands with blu-tac.

depending on how much you want to spend on wood (or if you have something adequate on hand), you can do these stands for next to nothing. here is the basic plan (no joints, just drill pilot holes and then glue and screw), you supply your own measurements based on the size of the speakers and what size you want the stands to be.

basite
09-26-2007, 03:01 AM
definitely, you wont find a better upgrade for the money.

i did a pair of very simple DIY speaker stands, for my HT rig, that i think work great. these are designed to be low profile stands. the back of the stand is shorter than the front so that the speakers are tilted back, allowing the drivers to point at ear level in the sitting position. the hardest part is figuring out how much angle you want, simple trial and error was how i came to my solution. the last thing you need to do is to affix the speakers to the stands with blu-tac.

depending on how much you want to spend on wood (or if you have something adequate on hand), you can do these stands for next to nothing. here is the basic plan (no joints, just drill pilot holes and then glue and screw), you supply your own measurements based on the size of the speakers and what size you want the stands to be.

a fellow advent owner :D

Corto Maltese
09-26-2007, 04:59 AM
Thanks all.
Things are in the house, that is what is important. Now, I must find the time to build nice stand for TT, Amp and DVD, and stands for speakers. When all done, I'll post new pics.