Wow, Fear of a Blank Planet shows up on metacritic! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Fear of a Blank Planet shows up on metacritic!

Davey
09-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Pretty high score too. Who said there's nothing new in indie-alt-whatever-rock anymore :shocked:

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/porcupinetree/fearofablankplanet

Josh Ritter just added too with one of the highest scores of the year right now (although it will surely go down once more reviews are added). Who said there's nothing new in indie-alt-whatever-rock anymore? And who said the Rave Recs crew doesn't know good damn music when it comes up and slaps them in the ass?! Anyone actually have and/or enjoy both of these, PTree and JRitter?

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/ritterjosh/historicalconquestsofjoshritter

Troy
09-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I like Blank Planet. Perhaps more than most PT fans. The general consensus seems to be that the band needs to step back into the spacey/wry format they plied so well (to no audience) in the late 90s.

Oh god, will they jump the shark on their next release?

Mr MidFi
09-17-2007, 12:35 PM
I listened to Blank Planet again today for the first time in a while. And I liked it again, more than the previous time. So I guess I'm kinda back-and-forth on it.

But don't listen to me...I'm one of the few who really liked Deadwing.

NP: Los Lobos, "Don't Worry Baby"

Slosh
09-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Anyone actually have <s>and/or enjoy</s> both of these, PTree and JRitter?That would be me. I'm not by any stretch a big Pork Pie :p fan but a friend of mine burned the DVD video layer of the DVD-A and the DTS track does sound pretty good. Wish the Josh Ritter disc had that kind of production values and mastering (although even this disc is overly compressed IMO). I'll even admit to kinda sorta liking "Anesthetize" even though it's nearly 18 minutes long. Okay, well I like parts of it anyway. I was thinking of putting together an overflow disc (err, folder) to include with my YEC just because I have so much stuff this year and this song could make the cut if there's enough room.

NP:

bobsticks
09-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Gottem both. "Fear" I'm pretty cool with although , like Mr. MidFi, I probably prefer "Deadwing" a bit more. I certainly prefer the DVD-A version of "In Absentia" more.

I need to give J. Ritter another chance. My systems pretty revealing and my first and only listen was mildly unpleasant. His ability as a songwriter is not really in question and I beleive my next go-around should be on my secondary/computer system. Unquestionably I'll be able to focus more on the actual content without the distraction of sub par sonics.

kexodusc
09-17-2007, 03:46 PM
But don't listen to me...I'm one of the few who really liked Deadwing.

Few? Wow, I thought Deadwing would be a hit...It's a little more accessible in that it's more metal-ish than other PT stuff. Well Mr. MidFi, you are not alone.

Blank Planet is a solid album, it's only disappointing when compared to some of PT's other stuff. When songs start to remind me of other songs I just get the impression an artist has run out of ideas. TIme to take a break or mix things up somehow maybe. But then, if that's all there is, there's nothing wrong with continuing to put out good music even if it doesn't break the mold.

One thing I love about it - it's not as front-loaded as many of the other PT albums which seem to taper off a bit around halfway through. Keeps you interested in finishing the whole thing.

unleasHell
09-17-2007, 04:34 PM
anyone else order the limited EP (5000 made) that is for sale on the Burning Shed site?

It was recorded during the same FODP sessions..

It was nearly sold old out a few days ago..

I bought two, but it will also be on sale during the upcoming Tour ...

I'll report back when I get it...

3-LockBox
09-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I like Blank Planet. Perhaps more than most PT fans. The general consensus seems to be that the band needs to step back into the spacey/wry format they plied so well (to no audience) in the late 90s.

Oh god, will they jump the shark on their next release?

Well, they need to ply a different direction. I doubt Wilson will ever make another Signify, but he need not make another Deadwing either.

ForeverAutumn
09-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Both Deadwing and Fear took a long time to grow on me. I didn't like either initially upon release, but have come to enjoy them both very much. Deadwing, in particular, I think is a really solid album. Although it bored me to tears at first. Funny how that happens.

I haven't heard Josh Ritter yet, but the way Davey has been swooning over him, I think I'd better check it out.

Davey
09-17-2007, 07:56 PM
I haven't heard Josh Ritter yet, but the way Davey has been swooning over him, I think I'd better check it out.

I must be an easy swoon. It is good record, not sure he would quite warrant swooning, especially from another guy, but still very good. Have a hard time getting that "deep in the belly of a whale I found her, down with the deep blue jail around her", line outta my head lately. Seem to be humming it all the time. Likely top 5 for me. I'll probably be swooning for real over the new PJ Harvey in a few weeks. That should be a good one. And maybe that new Dot Allison, she makes me swoon. Yea, I probably was swooning :rolleyes:

Mr MidFi
09-18-2007, 06:01 AM
I should probably qualify what I said about Deadwing.

I think most PT fans liked it OK when it came out, but considered it a bit of a letdown after In Absentia. And some, like FA, were bored with it outright at first (even if it did grow on them later). But I rather liked it from the get-go, and still consider it the equal of In Absentia...perhaps even a tad better.

And I agree with those who think they need to start exploring some new directions. They've journeyed this far already...just keep going, somewhere.

DariusNYC
09-18-2007, 06:12 AM
Am I the only one who opened up this thread thinking it would be about Public Enemy's album from 1990, was surprised that Davey would be posting about it, and then was surprised that Troy was saying he liked the album, and was dense enough to only slowly realize we were talking about Porcupine Tree? Anyhow, I figured it out now. Thanks to all.

Troy
09-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Yes, the title is a play on Black Planet for sure.

Finch Platte
09-18-2007, 05:03 PM
anyone else order the limited EP (5000 made) that is for sale on the Burning Shed site?

Just ordered mine, even though it's been leaked. :thumbsup:

fp