where i've been for the past 2 months! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : where i've been for the past 2 months!

Kam
09-17-2007, 09:29 AM
hey to all my fellow film forum friends!! i have an interesting story i think you'd all get a kick out of. as ya know, i'm a working the whole struggling actor in nyc bit and got a fun role in a new play John Goldfarb, Please Come Home.

It had a short run in the NY Fringe Festival and it may just sound slightly familiar to some of you old timers or movie nuts. It was a book written by William Peter Blatty which he turned into a movie with Shirley MacClaine back in 1965. the movie, apparently (i never saw it) was a bomb. Blatty had always wanted to brnig his work to the stage, and so flashforward to now where he meets up with some musical guys and voila, JGPCH turns into a musical comedy and i audition for and am cast in it! The play is wrapped now and the producers are waiting to see if they can do another run of it in nyc or maybe take it on tour.

It was a great experience and no part was better than meeting and talking with William Peter Blatty throughout the run of the show and how incredibly, genuinely nice a guy he is. And to think from his mind spring both the Exorcist and this ridiculously over the top political comedy is incredible the diversity he comes up with.

I even got to sit and talk with him about the Exorcist and The Version You Never Saw and how it came to be back in the theaters and about Exorcist III, which he directed as well as wrote. Was very cool talking to someone who's work is, imo, one of the scariest movies ever made. :)

PeruvianSkies
09-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Did he talk about working with William Friedkin?

Kam
09-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Did he talk about working with William Friedkin?

nothing negative at least. only said goog things about working with him and the cast they had, especially ellen burstyn, nancy fish and mary jackson (both on exorcist 3). i told him my two freakiest moments from exorcist 3, and he gave me the background on both of them! was so cool! (the freakiest shot, imo, was the long shot down the hallway where the corpse with the white blanket over cuts across the hallway holding those massive garden sheer thingys.)

most ammusing were his stories about Peter Sellers. His only "critical" comments went to editors, as any writer/director would not want their work touched, i can see where it comes from given his experiences with the exorcist versions and the politics behind keeping it shorter by a seemingly abritrary amount.

Rich-n-Texas
09-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Congratulations on landing the role Kam. I'm sure it was a great experience.

I agree that The Exorcist was a very scary movie for me, made more so by the fact that at the time of it's release there were references to an actual exorcism having occured. When it was released in '73 I had the misfortune of working as an usher in the movie theater in my town. I had to work through 63 showings of it, including midnight shows. I was 16 years old at the time, and believe me when I say that I was looking over my shoulder in genuine fear while running home at 2 o'clock in the morning.

dean_martin
09-19-2007, 08:37 PM
What an interesting update! It's good to hear from you, Kam. That title did indeed seem familiar.

P.S. please share a Sellers story or two.

GMichael
09-20-2007, 05:06 AM
Welcome back Kam. We missed you.
How was the show?

Worf101
09-20-2007, 07:48 AM
I'm both proud of ya and in awe. Wow, might have been off, off, off Broadway but it was the stage. Congrats and thanks for the update.

Da Worfster

kexodusc
09-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Kamster returns with a vengeance - after being robbed the seedy used car salesman gig in Transformers, our favorite Hurricanes fan lands on his feet.

Where's the YouTube link, dude...congrats!

Kam
09-20-2007, 10:52 AM
What an interesting update! It's good to hear from you, Kam. That title did indeed seem familiar.

P.S. please share a Sellers story or two.

blatty worked with sellers on Shot in the Dark (he wrote it), the first of the clouseau films. (though released after the original pink panther) it was just great hearing about him hanging out and talking with sellers as if its you calling up your friends to go out for a drink... only it's peter freakin' sellers! apparently they got on great and were good friends from that point onwards and sellers really was just a genius always searching for the praise he already had.

hearing him talk about sellers really made the movie The Life and Death of Peter Sellers ring true. if you haven't seen that hbo movie, HIGHLY reccomended as well.