Perplexing Mini Plug/Jack [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Perplexing Mini Plug/Jack

jackbcjr
09-17-2007, 06:54 AM
I have a minor but perplexing problem. I want to upgrade my audio connection from my computer (Compaq Presario) to my Sony receiver. The connection I currently have is a "rigged-up" mixture of adapters and connected stereo cables that begins with a stereo miniplug adapter leading to a 1/4" stereo splitter, leading to a couple of stereo cables. While this works just fine most of the time the weight of the adapter, etc. makes the miniplug unstable in the jack causing occasional loss of signal.

The confusing part: I have purchased about 4 different sets of cables designed to connect a computer to a receiver via the stereo miniplug. The last one was a releatively expensive Monster cable. None of them work! Each one that I purchased would only deliver one channel (I think the Right Channel). I compared the miniplugs of each with the miniplug adapter that I know does work and they all appear to be the same with the two stereo rings, and about the same length. What am I overlooking here?

Any ideas anyone????:mad2:

markw
09-17-2007, 10:30 AM
First off, rather thah keep hitting your head against the wall, convert all all your 1/8" STEREO jacks to a pair of good ole RCA jacks with something like this.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=2009&sku=03180

Now, once you've got all your outputs to RCA jacks, simply invest in an inexpensive switch-box that you can get at Wal-Mart for about $20 or so. Philips makes one that also handles video as well. They are available almost anywhere else as well. Feed it's output to your receiver's AUX input with a plain-jane stereo audio interconnect.

But, from what you describe, I'd say that somewhere in your chain of connectors you're converting a sereo signal to mono. Where, dunno and don't care. You've got my suggestion.

jackbcjr
09-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks for your reply and info. I looked at the site you referred me to however the miniplug to RCA converter is precisely what I have purchased that does not transmit but one channel. That is the perplexing issue. One miniplug (my present adapter) sends a stereo signal while the newer ones that I purchased all fail to work.

I examined each mini plug to try to detect a difference but both appear the same with the exception of a larger metal disc at the base of the plug.

I have attached a crude drawing of what I have tried to explain.

at the moment still beating my head against the wall...

markw
09-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Even the Monster. It may be overpriced but it should do the job.

When several new ones fail, the problem may not be where you think it is.

It might be time to do some troubleshooting.

Is it possible that the jack in the 'puter is busted? It sounds like that poor jack has had a rough life.

Is it possible that that rube goldberg hookup you kludged is actually outputting one channel over both sides?

One way to verify the "new" adapter cables (like the one I displayed) are working is to plug them into the headphone output of an Ipod (or Sansa, CD player, or something like that) and directly into the aux input of your receiver.

If they work with the Ipod but not with the 'puter, well...