Converter question? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Converter question?

Sue
02-26-2004, 02:38 AM
I picked a Radio Shack Toslink to PCM Converter hoping to connect my Satelitte dish receiver which has an optical output to my Pioneer receiver that has a caox input. I have been trying to find out for sure if this unit will pass the 5.1 dolby digital from of the Satelitte channels to my receiver. I guess I'm confused on this PCM it says Pulse Code Modulation does that mean it will convert to stereo?

markw
02-26-2004, 03:45 AM
I take it you chose not to use that parts express item I suggested. Perhaps the people at your local RatShak can answer this for you?

Sue
02-27-2004, 02:58 AM
I went there just because it was a local store. But you were right on. I purchased the 1 you suggested at parts express. Thank you!

Sue
02-27-2004, 03:03 AM
Do you have any suggestions on what cables to use? I've been looking at the Monster cables and they make so may differnt ones. So I need the coaxial & optical. Please help again. Thank you.

markw
02-27-2004, 04:54 AM
Do you have any suggestions on what cables to use? I've been looking at the Monster cables and they make so may differnt ones. So I need the coaxial & optical. Please help again. Thank you.

I'm of the firm belief that the point of diminishing returns on cables is at a much lower point than advertisers would have you believe. IOW, go for some sturdy, inexpensive cables.

The local big box stores should be more than able to satisfy your cable needs. Perhaps not satisfy that personal belief* that spending big $$ equates to a big performance gain, but it will satisfy your needs.

*Operative word here is belief, not fact.

Monstrous Mike
02-27-2004, 08:02 AM
I picked a Radio Shack Toslink to PCM Converter hoping to connect my Satelitte dish receiver which has an optical output to my Pioneer receiver that has a caox input. I have been trying to find out for sure if this unit will pass the 5.1 dolby digital from of the Satelitte channels to my receiver. I guess I'm confused on this PCM it says Pulse Code Modulation does that mean it will convert to stereo?
I believe that the device you have from Radio Shack does not care if the digital audio signal is Dolby Digital or PCM. It will simply convert from digital optical to digital coax and vice versa.

Keep in mind that most channels on your satellite system are broadcast in PCM while only a few are DD 5.1, like some movies and the HDTV channels. The PCM channels will all be in stereo and your receiver should be converting them to Dolby Prologic.

If you want to find out for sure if this converter will pass DD 5.1, then I suggest you hook it up to your DVD player and play a DD 5.1 movie through it.