Denon Receiver Users Help I May Have Been Playing My DVDS on Wrong Mode [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon Receiver Users Help I May Have Been Playing My DVDS on Wrong Mode

Peachesbackwards
09-16-2007, 02:06 AM
Hopefully this isn't true, but I just discovered that I may have been playing my DVDs & 5.1 TV shows on the wrong sound mode for the last 3 years & need anyones help or input on this as their damn manual is badly written/confusing & their customer service sucks.

I have a Denon 3801 A/V Receiver and my cable TV & DVD are connected to it by optical cable. I have a standard 5.1 speaker set up (though the 3801 goes up to 7.1). Anyway,
I have always played my 5.1 TV shows & DVDs on the 5 Channel Stereo Mode. I assumed that because these connections were connected by optical cable, playback would automatically be played at 5.1 correctly as long as I get a read out of a dolby digital (5.1) signal on the receiver. Bottom line is am I correctly hearing things back in 5.1 sound or do I need to change this to another sound mode & if so what specific mode? My fear is right now that maybe I'm getting the same output on my front and back speakers for each channel, Your help is greatly appreciated.

Luvin Da Blues
09-16-2007, 02:09 AM
If it's anything like my 2807 I set it to auto detect. It will automatically select the "highest" (best?) setting.

PeruvianSkies
09-16-2007, 02:11 AM
I am not 100% familiar with that exact receiver, but I am pretty darn sure that you are playing them in a stereo mode that splits the signal off for all speakers to play stereo, therefore you are getting the stereo channels mixed into your surrounds. You should be able to play the settings that allow for the source to be naturally decoded without any effects or sound mode enhancement, for example something that says 5.1 or 'standard' or something that will tell you if you are playing back Dolby Digital. For mine, I have an option to play standard, which will default to ProLogicII, unless it is a discrete 5.1 mix, in which case it will play that way or DTS 5.1, etc etc. I only use stereo mode for playing CD's.

Peachesbackwards
09-16-2007, 02:27 AM
Its I think the same set up as the 2807 and I'm guessing anything in the 2000-3000 series. I I'm pretty sure this is set to automatic which I guess becomes the default sound mode when it gets 5.1 signals. I actually listen to CDs in the 5.1 mode as I like that sound the best.

I started getting a bit alarmed when I just watched a TV show I recorded on torrents & heard the playback on 2 small logitech external speakers that I connected to my Toshiba Notebook. The sound was incredible but maybe it was cause I was listening from 2 feet away! Out of curiosity I made a 5.1 DVD of this & it didn't sound as great as it did from sitting 2 feet away and hearing it on 2 small $15 on Ebay logitech speakers!

I think using the 6.1 mode might change the sound incorrectly if I'm connected at 5.1. On my Denon settings I have only the 5 speakers & sub on & the other 2 speakers off.

Luvin Da Blues
09-16-2007, 04:52 AM
I started getting a bit alarmed when I just watched a TV show I recorded on torrents & heard the playback on 2 small logitech external speakers that I connected to my Toshiba Notebook. The sound was incredible but maybe it was cause I was listening from 2 feet away! Out of curiosity I made a 5.1 DVD of this & it didn't sound as great as it did from sitting 2 feet away and hearing it on 2 small $15 on Ebay logitech speakers!

I haven't had a whole lotta luck with torrents and DTS or any 5.1 either but it should default to ProLogicII