Bookshelf speaker advice for NAD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bookshelf speaker advice for NAD

andrewh973
09-15-2007, 07:37 PM
Hi,

Can I get some recommendations for bookshelf speakers to be matched to NAD C542 CD Player and NAD C720BEE Receiver.

Dues to smaller living room and configuration, bookshelf-size speakers are in order. Music listened to: rock, prog-rock, jazz, classical, folk, vocals.

Budget: $500 - $700.

Much appreciated.

Andrew

PeruvianSkies
09-15-2007, 08:16 PM
You might be able to find something from Totem Acoustics around that range, maybe even used perhaps. The PSB stuff would also be a good choice, as well as many other similar lines like Monitor Audio or Paradigm. You may find a higher caliber speaker used rather than going for something new and paying premium price, check Audiogon and maybe your local Craigslist.

Vardo
09-15-2007, 09:16 PM
I haven't heard these speakers, but there are some pretty good
reviews on them...........link:

http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1204psb/

I'm thinking about these bookshelfs for a second (smaller home)
theater..........vardo

PeruvianSkies
09-15-2007, 09:24 PM
I haven't heard these speakers, but there are some pretty good
reviews on them...........link:

http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1204psb/

I'm thinking about these bookshelfs for a second (smaller home)
theater..........vardo

Yeah, the Image line is a good speaker, you may want to integrate a sub into your system as well if you go with these, they are great at mid and upper range, but some people like more bass and therefore a sub might be nice.

andrewh973
09-16-2007, 05:08 AM
Thanks Peruvian Skies and Vardo. I'll find a dealer that carries PSB and Monitor and give them a test drive. Paradigms are difficult to find in this area (Northern NJ). Any thoughts on how B&W (the newer 685's or 686's) might play with an NAD system? Also, any recommended connects?

Thanks again.

Andrew

RGA
09-16-2007, 05:11 AM
I would recommend the Audio Note AX-2 at $650.00. I intend to buy three pairs of them for a home theater system eventually. An Alternative would be the Dynaudio 42 but it requires more power and is more expensive.

Really it boils down to listening to as much as possible and try to determine what turns your crank...I usually find the best stuff in the store is the stuff that comes with a lot less marketing hype.

Mark111867
09-16-2007, 06:01 AM
I have the C720Bee matched up with a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Newton M80's ($500a pair). I am happy with them. I listen to mostly classical and folk, with a little bit of prog thrown in from time to time. Good luck.

PDN
09-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Andrew

I auditioned the new B&W 685 and 686's on Fri in Western Northern NJ myself. I wrote up a brief review at www.audigon.com in the forum section, speakers, "anyone heard the b w 683's. My strong advice would be to not make any decision until you've heard these little babies. They are truly on the cutting edge and they sound stupendous even as compared to the 600 series 3. As far as being a good fit with NAD, sure absolutely. I have a pair of DM601 S3's connected to an older NAD 7240PE receiver and the sound is fantastic. If you can get out to Phillipsburg, go to Audio-Video Synergy on Rt. 22 East and ask for Jerry. (www.audiovideosynergy.com). He is excellent and will be very patient. He's the best I've ever worked with hands down. Another good dealer would be Audio Connection in Verona. Ask for John (www.audioconnect.com). They're on Bloomfield Ave. Al the best.

emorphien
09-16-2007, 05:56 PM
I think in your price range PSB and Focal have some nice offerings. Totem is good too (I own a pair, use them on NAD gear as well). NADs are a good choice for amplification because they can handle quite a range of speakers, including inefficient low impedance speakers.

For PSB the Image B25 at under $500 is a killer deal. Focal Chorus 706V speakers would come in at under $600 and are also an excellent choice.

I can't say any one speaker is for you, you might like Paradigm and B&W (I don't) but you should really go listen to everything you can find locally to help you choose.

dean_martin
09-16-2007, 09:07 PM
I've had an NAD receiver and 2 NAD integrateds over the years. Standmount speakers from NHT and Acoustic Energy have been good matches. The AEs did really well with the low powered receiver (25wpc) while the NHTs, which like a little more power, performed well with the integrateds. I haven't heard NHT's latest models, but the Classic 3 might be worth a listen.