H.H.Scott 197B II Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : H.H.Scott 197B II Speakers

eddd7
09-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Anyone? Anyone? Anyone have experience with the Scott 197B II speakers? I scored a very nice pair at the dump a few weeks ago. 15 inch woofers, rubber surrounds, one blown tweeter, which is made by Philips, Cabinets are surprisingly well-preserved by the quarts of candle wax (I'm not kidding!) that was melted on them. The wax came right off with a plastic scraper. Wax as a preservative. Not just for jelly anymore. Full 1 inch MDF heavy cabinets. They sound.....not bad. But I suspect that they can be improved. Any crossover re-cappers out there?

Gary_L
10-25-2008, 02:52 AM
Did you have any luck with them?

I've got a pair of these that I've had since around 1979/1980. They're still in good working order but I was also wondering if they could be improved upon at all. Other than replacing/renewing the crossover components, I wonder if making it a ported box would help? Anyone know the T/S numbers for the woofer?

Gary

pulsipher
10-23-2009, 01:02 PM
I have owned a pair of Scott 197B speakers since the 1970's-- bought them new at Gemco.
They are excellent-- with solid bass that can only be found in good 15" woofers. However with age the soft surround on the 15" woofer have developed some radial cracks that need repair. Found a local repair shop that can replace the soft surround for about $50 each.
Also the plastic 3 position switches used to balance the mid range and tweeter speakers have broken off at the base of the threaded panel insert-- making them unusable. The switches were made by Carling and are 3 position and I assume double toggle. No part numbers on them, but were made in Mexico. I need a circuit diagram to see exactly what type switch to replace. Anyone have a circuit diagram?

dakatabg
10-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Scott are very good speakers! I have 2 pairs of them home! The bass is amazing the the highs are good too!

I have:

Scott 615D 15" Woofers

Scott 177B 8" Woofers

Great speakers! Too bad they don't make them anymore!

dakatabg
12-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Here is a guy who sells the at craigslist

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/1497612544.html

he wants $80 for the pair and they are in mint condition!

dlm8751
08-19-2010, 04:48 AM
I've had a pair of 177B since 1977. Got them for Christmas. They survived high school, 4 years in the military, and 12 years of college (hey, I wanted to be thorough). I still have them. 8in woofers are still in great shape. Took them in a couple of years ago to have the mids replaced (stupid cat). The guy was really impressed with how good they sound. He said speaker like that would be around 500-600 new, in today's dollars. I think they would be more since I believe these sold for around $200 in 1977.

whichwatch
03-25-2012, 11:31 PM
I have a pair of crossovers out of a pair of scott speakers. first I want to replace the caps, they are 16uf 30v. I am finding caps with the first value 16uf but are not 30v. I think It is fine that they could be 100v or whatever. these are also NP no polarity. Could any one suggest where to go to replace these. I am going to place them into a pair of Magnavox cabinets with 2 speakers, one round and one horn. What do you think?

JoeE SP9
03-26-2012, 04:07 AM
You can always replace a capacitor with one rated for a higher voltage. Try Parts Express for replacements.

Gary_L
05-27-2013, 04:21 AM
I'm wondering if these speakers may be better off being 'Econowaved' rather than refurbished. Zilch (RIP) has done some amazing research on waveguides and compression drivers that can reinvigorate many older speakers, so with the likes of a $14 constant directivity waveguide like this Pyle one:

Pyle PH612 1" Screw-On Constant Radiation Horn 292-2572 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=292-2572)

Amazon.com: Pyle-Pro PH612 Screw-On Type Constant Radiation Horn: Musical Instruments (http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PH612-Screw-On-Constant-Radiation/dp/B0013CH6SS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369656474&sr=8-1&keywords=Pyle+PH612)

Used with a decent compression driver (Selenium D220i seems popular but there are others), plus mods to the crossover (all info can be found on various sites - just search for econowave), and these speakers could be given a new found lease of life.

Gary

Gary_L
11-14-2017, 05:09 PM
I still have these speakers and have decided to see if I can give them a bit of a refurb.

I stripped down the switches as they had broken so no longer worked - they seem to default to the 'flat' position so the tweeter and midrange still work, but you can't select the db reduction options the working switches would allow. They are a simple three position latching rocker switch - on/off/on. Moving the switch connects the middle contact to either of the other two contacts. I've ordered a couple from ebay (China) to replace them.

The woofer surrounds have started to split so I will need to replace those as well. What type of glue do they usually use? I can get some without glue from ebay.

While I have the crossover out, I'm going to replace the terminal posts at the rear with some more modern 3.5mm binding posts that will also allow banana plugs.

The crossover itself looks OK but I'll replace the two capacitors. I'll probably replace all of the resistors as well, though the ones used by the switches look OK and measure at the correct values. Do people usually replace those too?

Econowaving looks like a fun option but I just couldn't bring myself to do it in the end :)

Gary

Gary_L
11-21-2017, 06:15 AM
Just thought I'd correct a posting error I made above (doesn't seem to be an edit function) - the switch mid position (2) is -6dB not flat.