Favorite FLAMING LIPS album.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite FLAMING LIPS album....

PeruvianSkies
09-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Here is a band that has been around over 20 years and after watching the DVD FEARLESS FREAKS, I decided to ask the question: So what's your favorite THE FLAMING LIPS album????

http://myspace-623.vo.llnwd.net/00799/32/65/799585623_l.jpg

I love love love this video:

<object width="425" height="353"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6tRXO9Q8LkY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6tRXO9Q8LkY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="353"></embed></object>

Luvin Da Blues
09-15-2007, 06:37 AM
The only Flaming Lips I know of is when I eat a bucket of habeneros:arf:

Troy
09-15-2007, 07:58 AM
Her name was Yoshimi . . .

Jim Clark
09-15-2007, 08:16 AM
Her name was Yoshimi . . .

I never really got into Flamming Lips like some of you. Therefore, since it's the only one I have, I vote with Troy.

jc

-Jar-
09-16-2007, 05:44 PM
It's very difficult for me to pick between TRANSMISSIONS and BULLETIN. However, TRANSMISSIONS got the nod, just because it's been with me longer I guess. But, between BULLETIN and YOSHIMI, I'd say BULLETIN wins in my book. YOSHIMI just seemed like "more of the same" - which, is great if you're the Flaming Lips, but it didn't bring much new to the table for me. I thought MYSTICS was a move forward, it's just that overall as an album it kind of lacked cohesion. That being said, I hate to say it, but in my opinion, the Flaming Lips have never been a great "album" band.. They put out records that have many songs that I love, but I just don't get a feeling of album cohesion from them. Their albums come off like stream-of-conscious affairs to me. Which, I don't mind, I've always loved what comes out of Wayne's brain. It's just that it's difficult for me to say they have "great" albums because they're just not an album band to me.

-jar

Rae
09-16-2007, 05:57 PM
I voted for Clouds Taste Metallic. I don't know why. I guess I've spent about as much time with that or Transmissions as anything.

I'm trying not to be a jaded hipster but I am really burnt out on this band. Everything after The Soft Bulletin has had a really short shelf-life for me. I liked the "new stuff" at first blush but now I just find it subtly irritating. That goes for the visual spectacle as well.

Oh well.

~Rae

PeruvianSkies
09-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Not sure if anyone else has these, but I have the DVD-A/CD editions of YOSHIMI, THE SOFT BULLETIN, and AT WAR WITH THE MYSTICS. All 3 albums are phenomenal, but the DVD-A mixes are varied. YOSHIMI is very playful and quite interesting, AT WAR WITH THE MYSICS is a bit more controlled and not nearly as playful, and THE SOFT BULLETIN is downright horrible in 5.1. However mixed that...needs fired. It sounds like a 2-year old was sitting there with the pan and volume knob going to town with all the buttons. It's unbelievably bad. Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there, I voted for THE SOFT BULLETIN as I felt it had the advantage of being the strongest album beginning to end, where the others have great highlights here and there, this album seems the most consistent.