another SCORE! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : another SCORE!

hifitommy
09-14-2007, 03:58 PM
not, not the LA4 record (a great one though) but i went to amoeba hollywood after getting off work early this afternoon.

only vinyl--in no particular order:

basie-farmers market barbecue-3.99

eliane elias-illusions-1986 blue note-2.99

kim kashkashian/robert levin-elegies on ecm-1.99

oregon-out of the woods-1.99

oregon-roots in the sky-2.99

susannah mc corkle-thanks for the memory-signed by her to: joe-1.99

the milcho leviev quartet-blues for the fisherman-7.99

mark murphy-satisfaction guaranteed-6-99

cal tjader/carmen mc rae-heat wane-concord w/nylon silver and black concord logo inner sleeve (yay!)

chase-pure music-2.99 (dont have the eponymous disc, maybe this is better).

and perhaps the gem of the haul:

live from los angles:oliver nelson's big band. as usual, the personnel list is exemplary with a pic of a VERY youn tom scott.

i better get busy with the tt, eh?

jrhymeammo
09-15-2007, 06:34 AM
Nice grab there Tommy.

You've listed your scores nicely above, but that brings a questions to my mind....
Have you composed a spreadsheet of your music collection yet?

peace out,

hifitommy
09-15-2007, 09:01 AM
my daughter has the drive to do so, and as we solve the racking problem (possibly with gorrilla racks) she will alphabetize and catalog them. with about 6k LPs, youd think i would stop acquiring but as you see, the picking is still good here in LA.

right now, its frustrating when i want to find a specific record that isnt in the top float.

i see you added a smiley to the oliver nelson. its quite a present sounding disc with great performances by all. another customer expressed his envy when he saw me snag it.

so far, the records have been more than acceptable noise-wise.

jrhymeammo
09-22-2007, 01:52 PM
I went Diggin' and made some grabs, but seems like it's been forever since I've bought music.

*Sonny Rollins - Work Time
*The Genuis of Ben Webster and Coleman Hawkins
*The Horace Silver Quintet - Songs for my Father
*Coleman Hawkins - Soul
*Oliver Nelson w/ Joe Newman - Main Stem

JRA

basite
09-23-2007, 02:13 AM
went to a second hand record shop (well, second hand, they have some new releases too (or re-releases, both on regular and on 180 gram vinyl)

only got 4 records, but I'll be spending alot of hours there this year :)

got:
Pink Floyd - The wall
Pink Floyd - DSOTM (only had it on cd, so now I got it on the black disks too)
The temptations - All directions
Johnny Guitar Watson - A real mother

jim goulding
09-23-2007, 07:30 AM
I, too, own Satisfaction Guaranteed (Mark Murphy). There are at least two tracks on each side that are really good with excellent arrangements that communicate the feeling of the pieces and playing. You're a lucky dog. Carmen McRae and Cal Tjader? How interesting. Do you or does anybody own Carman McRae Live at Sugar Hill? Having nothing to do with the fact that I was in attendance during her stay at the time (I just like remembering it), I think it's the best recording the lady ever released.

hifitommy
09-23-2007, 10:26 AM
i have seen him live but he is well past his prime for live recordings. he mostly has really great personnel in his bands on record and the muse label did a fine job of recording the instruments tonally.

i dont have the carmen at sugar hill but will be keeping my eye out for it. yes, the tjader disc is pretty nice, as is fine and mellow, both concords.