Upgrade receiver for new 1080p TV? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade receiver for new 1080p TV?

JSE
09-14-2007, 01:21 PM
OK, I know this is probably addressed somewhere hear but I'm an old timer here and don't have the time right now to sort through a lot of threads and I think I've earned the right to ask a dumb question! :D

So, I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver with an old CRT TV. I am getting ready to purchase either a Plasma or LCD that will have HDMI. Unfortunately, my receiver just barely pre-dates mainstream acceptance of HDMI. I also have a DVR for my digital AT&T cable that has HDMI. My question is this, is it worth the expense to upgrade to an AVR with HDMI? From what I understand I can run the HDMI direct from the DVR to the TV and I'll just lose the switching ability with the receiver. Is that right? I run a digital audio cable to the receiver for the sound and I think I would be able to leave that as is. I think?

So is the only thing I will lose by running the HDMI from the DVR to the TV direct the video switching in the receiver? I really don't want to upgrade the receiver unless I have to. Also would the same apply for a new DVD player with HDMI?

JSE

GMichael
09-14-2007, 01:38 PM
OK, I know this is probably addressed somewhere hear but I'm an old timer here and don't have the time right now to sort through a lot of threads and I think I've earned the right to ask a dumb question! :D

So, I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver with an old CRT TV. I am getting ready to purchase either a Plasma or LCD that will have HDMI. Unfortunately, my receiver just barely pre-dates mainstream acceptance of HDMI. I also have a DVR for my digital AT&T cable that has HDMI. My question is this, is it worth the expense to upgrade to an AVR with HDMI? From what I understand I can run the HDMI direct from the DVR to the TV and I'll just lose the switching ability with the receiver. Is that right? I run a digital audio cable to the receiver for the sound and I think I would be able to leave that as is. I think?

So is the only thing I will lose by running the HDMI from the DVR to the TV direct the video switching in the receiver? I really don't want to upgrade the receiver unless I have to. Also would the same apply for a new DVD player with HDMI?

JSE

Yes,

I run my HDMI cable direct to the projector. You loose switching and gain a little flexability. (IE: I can watch sports while playing a CD)

JSE
09-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Yes,

I run my HDMI cable direct to the projector. You loose switching and gain a little flexability. (IE: I can watch sports while playing a CD)

Cool. That's what I was hoping for. Don't you run a Yamaha receiver or am I thinking of someone else?

GMichael
09-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Cool. That's what I was hoping for. Don't you run a Yamaha receiver or am I thinking of someone else?

Yes, I have the RX-V2500. Not much different than yours.

DEVO
09-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Your receiver does 1080i, and unless you are worried about Blu-ray or HD-DVD, the picture will look perfectly fine. If you do the other way, which is running the HDMI to the monitor and audio to the receiver, get a nice remote.

Personally, I don't know what all the fix on 1080p is...especially for plasmas. I've had a 50" 768p Pioneer for several years and I can't see much difference btw. the 1080p versions unless you are watching a high rez dvd. And btw the movie has to be recorded in 1080p.

Save your money and the headache...get a good 768p plasma.

JSE
09-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Your receiver does 1080i, and unless you are worried about Blu-ray or HD-DVD, the picture will look perfectly fine. If you do the other way, which is running the HDMI to the monitor and audio to the receiver, get a nice remote.

Personally, I don't know what all the fix on 1080p is...especially for plasmas. I've had a 50" 768p Pioneer for several years and I can't see much difference btw. the 1080p versions unless you are watching a high rez dvd. And btw the movie has to be recorded in 1080p.

Save your money and the headache...get a good 768p plasma.

Yeah, I hear ya on the 1080p. I'm more of a "late-adopter" of new technology in general but I think I will stick with the 1080p just to future-proof myself as much as possible. I don't buy new equipement that often but when I do, I want it to last as long as possible. I don't have a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player right now but I might one day.

In terms of the remote, I don't really mind multiple remotes. I have tried good all-in-one remotes before and I just assume have 2 remotes. One for the DVR/Cable box and one for the receiver. Unless switching between sources, the remote with my AT&T cable/DVR box can handle just about everything needed. It will let me adjust the volume on my receiver and that's the main thing I need.