Cheap HD DVD player coming this holiday season. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cheap HD DVD player coming this holiday season.

Smokey
09-13-2007, 03:23 PM
The entire HD DVD camp will soon gain the help of another entrant, but one that is known for producing electronics for budget-conscious consumers. Canadian-based Venturer Electronics announced that it will launch its first HD DVD player, the SHD7000, in time to meet the holiday 2007 sales season.

The Venturer SHD7000 will feature all the basic features expected of an HD DVD player, including 1080i video output, HDMI connection, Ethernet connectivity and Dolby TrueHD support.

Although no price was announced by Venturer, the company said in its press release that its machine will be “sold through national retailers with retail prices expected to be one of the lowest among entry-level HD DVD players.”

Hopefully around $150 :D

The Venturer SHD7000
http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/5793_SHD7000.JPG

http://www.dailytech.com/Venturer+Electronics+Promises+Inexpensive+HD+DVD+P layer/article8633.htm

Luvin Da Blues
09-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Damn Canadians..always under cutting the market place. How's a real company supposed to make a profit.

Smokey
09-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Damn Canadians..always under cutting the market place. How's a real company supposed to make a profit.

Wait till Chinese get involve :19:

Luvin Da Blues
09-13-2007, 07:55 PM

LOL :cornut:

PeruvianSkies
09-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Looks junky to me.

musicman1999
09-13-2007, 08:39 PM
I am sure it will work as well as your typical $39.00 dvd player.

bill

PeruvianSkies
09-13-2007, 08:50 PM
I am sure it will work as well as your typical $39.00 dvd player.

bill

I can see the AD now...

Venturer HD-DVD Player
"Works Just as Good as Your Typical $39.00 DVD Player"

pixelthis
09-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Who do you think is building THIS one?
Garen-darn-tee-ya its got a made in China lable:ihih:

PeruvianSkies
09-13-2007, 10:12 PM
Who do you think is building THIS one?
Garen-darn-tee-ya its got a made in China lable:ihih:

Here's an idea...how about buying one of those Chinese-made digital camera and take a picture of your stuff, especially since you talk down at me for posting pictures and such.

pixelthis
09-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Here's an idea...how about buying one of those Chinese-made digital camera and take a picture of your stuff, especially since you talk down at me for posting pictures and such.
I dont have one right now, and more pressing stuff is on the agenda.
And I actually enjoy your pics, especially since we share a DVD player and a cablebox.
But really, just what IS that blue doo-hicky? :confused5:

PeruvianSkies
09-13-2007, 10:33 PM
I dont have one right now, and more pressing stuff is on the agenda.
And I actually enjoy your pics, especially since we share a DVD player and a cablebox.
But really, just what IS that blue doo-hicky? :confused5:

I don't know what 'doo-hicky' you are talking about...maybe a light.

pixelthis
09-13-2007, 10:39 PM
I don't know what 'doo-hicky' you are talking about...maybe a light.
Looks like a sprial staircase with a blue glow.

PeruvianSkies
09-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Looks like a sprial staircase with a blue glow.

Yep, a light.

ldgibson76
09-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Yep, a light.

You two remind me of Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau of "Grumpy Old Men"! Geez!

ldgibson76

PeruvianSkies
09-15-2007, 05:49 PM
You two remind me of Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau of "Grumpy Old Men"! Geez!

ldgibson76

Only if I get to be Jack Lemmon.

pixelthis
09-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Only if I get to be Jack Lemmon.
Well, you're certainly A lemon!:devil:
(THA-DUMP)

PeruvianSkies
09-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Well, you're certainly A lemon!:devil:
(THA-DUMP)

Wow, that was an awesome one-liner.

DEVO
09-16-2007, 05:09 AM
All that I can hope is that it brings down the $$$ of the good Pioneer Elite Blu-Ray!

pixelthis
09-17-2007, 10:14 PM
All that I can hope is that it brings down the $$$ of the good Pioneer Elite Blu-Ray!

Yeah, I see them just slashing their prices, scared to death of this plastic toy.
Of course being Pioneer they'll probably just "plastic up" their player to match:1:

PeruvianSkies
09-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I see them just slashing their prices, scared to death of this plastic toy.
Of course being Pioneer they'll probably just "plastic up" their player to match:1:

The only reason that you are saying anything about Pioneer is because you think it bothers me, and it's the only weak spot in my system, so it's the only thing that can you talk trash about, but it doesn't bother me, especially since you don't know what you are talking about. By throwing out that little jab about PIONEER....that is an example of TROLLING, just so you know!

pixelthis
09-17-2007, 10:47 PM
The only reason that you are saying anything about Pioneer is because you think it bothers me, and it's the only weak spot in my system, so it's the only thing that can you talk trash about, but it doesn't bother me, especially since you don't know what you are talking about. By throwing out that little jab about PIONEER....that is an example of TROLLING, just so you know!

MORE LIKE telling the truth.
Sad thing is you have no idea of just how good Pioneer used to be.
In the mid eighties I bought a ten wpc integrated amp (thats right, 10 watts rms)
Had a metal faceplate, lasted for 15 years.
A friend who likes to go "dumpster diving" found an old pioneer sx receiver, beleive it was a 90, had been rained on several times. Put a blow dryer on it and it worked great in a audio only system.
nothing they build these days is as good as they are capable of.
And I wasn't trying to "bait " you , pioneer is what the discussion is about.
Not everything (almost nothing as a matter of fact) is about you:ciappa:

PeruvianSkies
09-17-2007, 10:51 PM
MORE LIKE telling the truth.
Sad thing is you have no idea of just how good Pioneer used to be.
In the mid eighties I bought a ten wpc integrated amp (thats right, 10 watts rms)
Had a metal faceplate, lasted for 15 years.
A friend who likes to go "dumpster diving" found an old pioneer sx receiver, beleive it was a 90, had been rained on several times. Put a blow dryer on it and it worked great in a audio only system.
nothing they build these days is as good as they are capable of.
And I wasn't trying to "bait " you , pioneer is what the discussion is about.
Not everything (almost nothing as a matter of fact) is about you:ciappa:

You are living in your own little world. You try and bait people and you know you do. Sometimes trolls don't even know they are trolls, but if you honestly believe that you didn't post that comment about Pioneer without thinking that it would be an attack on me than you are delusional or in denial. There was no need to throw that out there about Pioneer, even if it was the topic of choice, but you take any moment that you can to bash Pioneer simply because you know that I have a Pioneer receiver. Just like you bash PSB, despite never even hearing my speakers or my system.

Woochifer
09-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Hard to tell how well this will do, since neither HD-DVD nor Blu-ray at this point have established the market awareness that the DVD format had by the time off-brand players like Apex entered the picture. When companies like Apex first pushed the DVD price points below $200 and then $100, the public was already aware of the DVD format and waiting for the price points to fall. The Apex (and other off brand) DVD players became a runaway hot seller because it was a product that consumers had already been anticipating. The same thing has driven Vizio to the top of the sales rankings for HDTVs -- it's a product that consumers are aware of and ready to purchase when the price point hits their target.

I don't see this same kind of pent up demand with HD-DVD and Blu-ray, simply because those formats haven't been on the market long enough to establish any kind of awareness. Not to mention, it's very easy for Joe6pack to confuse an upconverting DVD player for a HD-DVD player. Rather than think that Venturer's offering up an inexpensive HD-DVD player, they might think it's overpriced since that $80 DVD player in the next aisle can also do "1080p" while this Venturer player can "only" do 1080i!

I think eventually HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray will displace the DVD, but that will likely come through attrition when broken DVD players are simply replaced with sub-$100 HD-DVD/Blu-ray players from brand name companies.

PeruvianSkies
09-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Hard to tell how well this will do, since neither HD-DVD nor Blu-ray at this point have established the market awareness that the DVD format had by the time off-brand players like Apex entered the picture. When companies like Apex first pushed the DVD price points below $200 and then $100, the public was already aware of the DVD format and waiting for the price points to fall. The Apex (and other off brand) DVD players became a runaway hot seller because it was a product that consumers had already been anticipating. The same thing has driven Vizio to the top of the sales rankings for HDTVs -- it's a product that consumers are aware of and ready to purchase when the price point hits their target.

I don't see this same kind of pent up demand with HD-DVD and Blu-ray, simply because those formats haven't been on the market long enough to establish any kind of awareness. Not to mention, it's very easy for Joe6pack to confuse an upconverting DVD player for a HD-DVD player. Rather than think that Venturer's offering up an inexpensive HD-DVD player, they might think it's overpriced since that $80 DVD player in the next aisle can also do "1080p" while this Venturer player can "only" do 1080i!

I think eventually HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray will displace the DVD, but that will likely come through attrition when broken DVD players are simply replaced with sub-$100 HD-DVD/Blu-ray players from brand name companies.

Very good points. I think that's a good synopsis of what the average person is thinking.

pixelthis
09-24-2007, 12:42 AM
Very good points. I think that's a good synopsis of what the average person is thinking.

The "average" person is wondering how they can shave an extra five bucks off of that
25$ DVD player.
At the end of the day most will stick with DVD because its "good enough".
HT types will have to support these formats if they are gonna make it,
because for many the price of this cheapjack player is STILL too high.
Friends and relatives thought I was crazy when I paid 129 bucks for my last DVD player:1:

Smokey
09-24-2007, 06:35 PM

That is my sentiments exactly

As long as HD players and discs are prices above regular DVD players and discs, it will be a hard sell.