can you help a newb with his htib.... Bose purchase today [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : can you help a newb with his htib.... Bose purchase today

vdogg429
09-12-2007, 10:25 PM
so i went into the bose outlet today and got a life style 38 series 3 for around 2400. Money is no object for me, but i get home and hear all this nay say about bose. Did i waste my money? I see all these htib's for like 200 all the way up to 4k. and i have no idea what affects price. I just went with it because i "know" bose is great.

didnt open the box yet, whats my play? they dont even come with specs like watts , amps etc . again what do you think guys? thank you in advance

dingus
09-12-2007, 10:45 PM
its your money, wtf are you asking anyones opinion after the fact?

musicman1999
09-12-2007, 10:47 PM
First what are your expectation,what size is the room,what do you want it to do,music and movies or just movies,are you familiar with good sound and is money really no object.
You won't find many people here that like Bose and for $2400 you can do far better but more info is needed.Also what end of the world do you live in?

bill

PeruvianSkies
09-12-2007, 11:19 PM
If money is no object for you, than take it back and buy a real system, we can help you out on the for sure....esp. if you can give us some more information, such as ...

Are you looking for a true 5.1 system? What type of application will it mostly serve...Home Theater, etc etc. Do you care if the speakers are on the floor does size matter, etc etc.

vdogg429
09-12-2007, 11:20 PM
First what are your expectation,what size is the room,what do you want it to do,music and movies or just movies,are you familiar with good sound and is money really no object.
You won't find many people here that like Bose and for $2400 you can do far better but more info is needed.Also what end of the world do you live in?

bill

the room is 20x20 i want it for music movies and xbox. im not familiar with good sound at all. money not being an object doesnt mean 10k on a system but id be willing to spend a few grand on something awsome. also i live is the US. i am expecting something with really good sound, good bass , and quality surround sound effect.

vdogg429
09-12-2007, 11:23 PM
If money is no object for you, than take it back and buy a real system, we can help you out on the for sure....esp. if you can give us some more information, such as ...

Are you looking for a true 5.1 system? What type of application will it mostly serve...Home Theater, etc etc. Do you care if the speakers are on the floor does size matter, etc etc.

true 5.1? im pretty ignorant to that. the bose 38 isn't a true 5.1?? i like it because it is compact, i dont want something with gigantic speakers all over the place ya know? but i dont need it to be those tiny cubes either. it will be mostly for video games but i want it to have great music as well as quality surround sound for movies, i.e crisp dialogue and sound effects etc etc

PeruvianSkies
09-12-2007, 11:49 PM
true 5.1? im pretty ignorant to that. the bose 38 isn't a true 5.1?? i like it because it is compact, i dont want something with gigantic speakers all over the place ya know? but i dont need it to be those tiny cubes either. it will be mostly for video games but i want it to have great music as well as quality surround sound for movies, i.e crisp dialogue and sound effects etc etc

What if you went with speakers in the front that were on stands and went with smaller mountable rear surround speakers? Bose makes 5.1 systems yes, but they are not worth the money, considering you could get something much better for the same price. Bose is just a big name and a popular one that most people assume means quality, they are average little speakers that deliver adequate sound for most people, but once you get a 'true' 5.1 system you will be glad you switched from Bose. Don't fall subject to the hype of Bose.

vdogg429
09-13-2007, 12:04 AM
What if you went with speakers in the front that were on stands and went with smaller mountable rear surround speakers? .

i want the works everything from music to video games. can i get a htib that has quality parts or do i need to get everything seperate?? if i go into a best buy or some other local place are they going to have dog **** equipment?. im def returning this equipment so where should i go, what should i get :)

PeruvianSkies
09-13-2007, 12:16 AM
i want the works everything from music to video games. can i get a htib that has quality parts or do i need to get everything seperate?? if i go into a best buy or some other local place are they going to have dog **** equipment?. im def returning this equipment so where should i go, what should i get :)

Well, the biggest thing you need to start with is a solid receiver, which is the 'brains' of your operation. You will want to get something that is semi-future proof as well, so I would suggest something from Harmon Kardon, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite, or Yamaha, even though I don't personally care for Yamaha. Onkyo just came out with some really nice players, here is a link...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9xpL7xMb0WJ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=10420&I=580TXS805B&search=Onkyo+VENDORID580&SearchDisplay=Onkyo

This is just one example of a very good receiver that has good power, good connections, and will enable you to connect all of your needs and perform well. It has some of the latest technology and such for HD.

There are TONS of speakers out there to check out, KEF, B&W, Paradigm, Klipsch, PSB, Infinity, etc etc. You will most likely only find some of them at places like Circuit City or Best Buy, if you are looking for tiny cube-like speakers Infinity has some small speakers and they would be better than going with the Bose system, you will also want to invest in a good solid hard-hitting subwoofer, check out Velodyne subs.

drseid
09-13-2007, 02:42 AM

I certainly feel you can do a LOT better than anything Bose puts out. They are tiny and sound that way. Big sound really does require larger speakers I am afraid.

As to your question about Best Buy and Circuit City... I have found them as OK places to shop for many things, but definitely NOT audio equipment including speakers. HTIB systems are sub-optimal at best, and horrible at worst. If you are prepared to invest $3000+ on a system that can last years and years, you owe it to yourself to go to your local audio salon (not a big box store like BB and CC) and listen to the less known brands that can sound *much* better than anything found in CC and BB. Online is also a great place to look (and where I bought many of my items)... that may be too risky for you, as it sounds like you are just getting into the hobby. If so, again audio salons (just look under audio in your yellow pages for many local companies) are the way to go. Brands like PSB, Paradigm, Definitive Technology, Monitor Audio, Energy, Mirage and B&W (many already mentioned above) are all good starter brands that you won't find in the big box stores, but will almost certainly sound much better and offer better bang for the buck overall. Many good quality receivers have already been mentioned.

If you choose to look online for speakers, brands like AV123.com (Rocket, Onix and X series products), Tyler Acoustics, ACI and SVS offer excellent bang for the buck, along with many others.

If you *have* to shop at BB, then check to see if they have a Magnolia mini-store inside the BB. Magnolia offers some of the higher-end brands. I confess I am not the biggest fan of the lines they offer, but compared to the regular BB brands, they are far superior.

Good luck,

---Dave

GMichael
09-13-2007, 05:19 AM
There are many ways that you can go that will be better than the Bose system. IMO, you should return that while it's not too late. You don't have to have huge speakers. If you don't want 2 big main speakers up front, you can go with all bookshelf sized speakers. Some people will actually say that that is the best way to go. The debate over which is better still rages on. None of the HTIB systems will sound as good as something you piece together yourself. It's not that hard to do. There is so much to choose from that it may seem overwhelming at first. Don't worry, we will make sure that you end up with something that sounds great. There are only a lot of options because so many of them do sound fantastic. People will always argue over which sounds "the best". Just know that all of the options we give you will be better than an HTIB or Bose systems out there.
Be patient though. A little time spent now will add up to many years of enjoyment instead of many years of wishing that you did something else.
Can you give an idea of your room layout? A diagram would be perfect. Pictures can also help.
I think you gave sizes in your second post, but it may help to have everything in one reply.
How much time will it be used for music, HT and games? (IE: 20/40/40%) Maybe (60/20/20?)

GMichael
09-13-2007, 05:39 AM
A very good system could be had for $2500. Here is just one example of how you could go, but it is just one of many options. I'll give MSRP prices, but deals can be had if you dig.

I like Yamaha receivers. I won't go into the pros and cons of Yamaha vs Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Marantz, HK, Outlaw, etc. Any of which could be used as well.
The HTR-6060 is a solid unit for the $550 range. Check here: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=552123&CTID=5000400

As for speakers: Check these out from AV123: http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=55

The x-cs center for 139.00
x-ls bookshelves at 219.00 per pair (you may want two pair if you want a 7.1 system, or even 3 pair if you want to skip the main towers and use these.
x-sls towers at 319.00 per pair
or the x-mtm towers at 449.00 a pair.

For a sub you could go with one of Dayton's kits. Very easy to assemble. Just a few screws to twist in. The 10" for $315.00 would blow away the Bose sub. The 12 at $470.00 would shake your house. I have the 15. It's killer at $610.00 http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=536

So if you went with the bigger towers and 7.1 you'd end up with:

550.00 receiver
139.00 center
438.00 surrounds and rears
449.00 towers
470.00 12" sub

That's $2046.00.

That leaves you a little left over for cables, wires, and a DVD player.
This system would crush that Bose like a grape.

markw
09-13-2007, 05:54 AM
the room is 20x20 i want it for music movies and xbox. im not familiar with good sound at all. money not being an object doesnt mean 10k on a system but id be willing to spend a few grand on something awsome. also i live is the US. i am expecting something with really good sound, good bass , and quality surround sound effect.First off, many people buy Bose for it's style, size and from being inundated all over by their highly effective marketing campaign.. In that case, it's pretty hard to argue with. It's better than most cheapo HTIB systems, but you pay a very stiff premium for that.

That said. from your requirements (highlighted above). you can equal it's mediocre performance in those areas and Far, far exceed what the Bose can do for a LOT less. For what you paid, you can have a stellar performing system that (assuming you were"satisfied" with the BOSE sound) exceeds your wildest expectations.

It may not, however, be quite as small or as cute as the Bose though. You must factor this into the equation also.

Get out there and listen to what's out there or read around this (and other) audio sites for a while. As for specific suggestions as to what' offers bettersound for (or well below, for that matter) that price, that's kinds like spearing fish in a barrel.

Rich-n-Texas
09-13-2007, 07:34 AM
its your money, wtf are you asking anyones opinion after the fact?
Nice post dingus. :rolleyes: Do you two know each other?

Welcome to AR vdogg429. Stick around. You'll find most people here are very helpful (if not at least entertaining) :cornut:

GMichael
09-13-2007, 08:02 AM

I thought that was a little rough too. Didn't occur to me that maybe they are buddies busting each other's chops.

Welcome to AR vdogg429. Stick around. You'll find most people here are very helpful (if not at least entertaining) :cornut:

Not me! I refuse to be helpful, and you can't make me!
:incazzato:

dingus
09-13-2007, 11:26 AM

sorry if i offended, even more sorry if i read the OP wrong. for a first post its got all the earmarks of a trolling.

nightflier
09-13-2007, 11:38 AM

First of all, run, don't walk back to the Bose store. I remember reading a complaint online that they have a no return policy, even on unopened boxes, but that may just have been from a disgruntled customer (they have many). Anyhow, do try to return them and listen to the sound advice from the people here. There are some excellent choices for speakers and receivers listed. Most of us don't like to admit it, but we've all been victimized in one way or another by Bose, cheap HTIB systems, or White Van scams - after all, this is how many of us ended up here.

More generally, I was thinking of how vdogg's dilemma ties in with our discussion in the Mutiny on AR thread that Peru started. Many people looking to buy a surround sound system have no avenue for information about their options. It's pretty much BB, CC, Bose, Frys, and to a lesser extent Walmart, Kmart, and Target. That is really a shame, because that limits their options tremendously. Many of the higher-quality manufacturers we have come to appreciate over the years offer very reasonably-priced entry level systems that are still leagues above the mainstream stuff.

What is really discouraging is that many people would never know that there are specialty shops with better gear. The BB-CC-Bose marketing machine is so pervasive that it eclipses the higher-quality manufacturers. If you don't know what brand to choose and you do an online search for a receiver or speaker, for example, the higher-quality brands will almost never appear at the top of the list. We have to remember that Google is advertising-based and so is the phone book. Those who can pay for the biggest adds (Bose) and the higher search engine rankings are the ones that the average customer sees first.

This is where AR needs to play a leading role. There was a lot of discussion about what the role of this forum should be, and well, what we are doing here in this thread is exactly what it should be. Likewise, the advertisers here, of all places, should be those manufacturers that don't make the top of the Goggle searches or have the convenience of a full-page add in the phone book. I see Axiom and a few others here and there, but there should be far more. After all, isn't that what vdogg is looking for when he comes here for recommendations?

N. Abstentia
09-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Acutally my first impression was that it was trolling too..or a joke. I kept waiting for the punch line but it never came! After all, who in their right mind would buy Bose speakers in the first place, much less spend $2500 for a Bose system??? But it looks like it happened.

So as others have said, yes take it back and spend that money on real equipment. I think the poor sound of Bose has pretty much been covered, but what has not been covered is the proprietary nature of the Bose system. Everything is proprietary so if one things breaks, the whole system needs to be replaced. Not good.