Your top 10 wish list for surround treatment. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Your top 10 wish list for surround treatment.

DPM
09-12-2007, 03:09 PM
With both SACD and DVD Audio on the ropes, it's looking like there might be a bit of a long wait before the world sees any more surround mixes of classic (or not so classic) stereo recordings. But if this were to change (and as a play off of the "favorite SACD" thread posted by Peruvian Skies), what would be the ten albums you'd like to see/hear in surround?

Here's mine.

1) Ambrosia/Ambrosia--This 1975 recording was mixed by Alan Parsons. I'd love to see him do this in 5.1.

2) Pink Floyd/Wish Your Were Here

3) Uriah Heep/Demons And Wizards

4) King Crimson/The Power To Believe

5) Tool/Lateralus

6) Yes/Close To The Edge

7) Jethro Tull/Thick As A Brick

8) Kate Bush/Hounds Of Love

9) Peter Gabriel/Security

10) Pink Floyd/The Wall

DPM

Rae
09-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Tortoise - It's All Around You.

~Rae

Slosh
09-12-2007, 04:25 PM
2) Pink Floyd/Wish Your Were Here

This, along with Animals already exists . . . sort of. They are 96kHz/24-bit 5.0 mixes done with the MFSL CDs. In spite of being 44.1kHz/16-bit sourced they still sound great with tastefully done surround mixes. These can be found on most torrent sites.

After hearing the DTS version of Love I think the Rubber Soul and up BeAtles would be a natural.

And Radiohead: The Bends/OK Computer/Kid A could be cool.

And gimme some Faith No More - Angel Dust in hi-rez 5.1 too.

NP: (Hey! "Three Days" would be killer in surround, now that you mention it :) )

PeruvianSkies
09-12-2007, 05:51 PM
My picks...

Smashing Pumpkins MELLON COLLIE AND THE INFINITE SADNESS
Led Zeppelin PHYSICAL GRAFFITI
Jethro Tull MINSTREL IN THE GALLERY
Steely Dan AJA
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly Soundtrack
Roy Orbison BLACK AND WHITE NIGHT (I think this is on an import SACD somewhere)
Dream Theater AWAKE or FALLING INTO INFINITY or IMAGES & WORDS

Slosh
09-12-2007, 11:46 PM
I forgot to mention most of the BeAtles and Led Zeppelin albums are available on DTS CD. These are amateur upmixes but done pretty well. Just make sure they're "TOUP" (Two Of Us Productions) and you'll be pretty happy with the results. Most DTS upmixes are little more than "5-channel stereo" but these TOUP mixes are 5.1 discreet (a little over the top IMO). Not hi-rez but they're all that exist at this time, and it doen't hurt that they're free. :)

http://isohunt.com/torrents/TOUP%20DTS

PeruvianSkies
09-12-2007, 11:50 PM
I forgot to mention most of the BeAtles and Led Zeppelin albums are available on DTS CD. These are amateur upmixes but done pretty well. Just make sure they're "TOUP" (Two Of Us Productions) and you'll be pretty happy with the results. Most DTS upmixes are little more than "5-channel stereo" but these TOUP mixes are 5.1 discreet (a little over the top IMO). Not hi-rez but they're all that exist at this time, and it doen't hurt that they're free. :)

http://isohunt.com/torrents/TOUP%20DTS

Are you saying that their entire catalog is available like this???

Slosh
09-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Are you saying that their entire catalog is available like this???I've found everything from Rubber Soul through Abbey Road and Zep I through Physical Graffiti. Haven't looked in ages for anything newer.
http://www.toupltd.com/

musicman1999
09-13-2007, 05:26 AM
Are these approved by the artists?

bill

bobsticks
09-13-2007, 07:34 AM
Are these approved by the artists?

bill

Lennon and Harrison were very much in favor of the remixes. Industry outsiders say Keith Moon was a fan as well.

bobsticks
09-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Leonard Cohen~Dear Heather or while we're on the subject Jennifer Warnes' "Famous Blue Raincoat"
Pink Floyd~The Final Cut
The Cult~Love
New Order the entire catalogue including a double SACD version of "Substance"
Lee Morgan~Caramba!
Front 242~Front By Front
Placido Domingo~Domingo Sings Caruso
Sister Of Mercy~Floodland
NineInchNails~Pretty Hate Machine

lots and lots of Grant Green