matrix-legit? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : matrix-legit?

chris1
09-12-2007, 05:48 AM
im brand new to home theatre and your site.thanks for having me.im seeing matrix 605 t,and 505t on ebay.it takes me to their website,where msrp are 2599. and 3499..on ebay you can get one for much cheaper,and im seeing bids for 600. and 800.i do know about "white van".is this the case with matrix.i really want to know if im wasting my time looking at their systems.someone please share their knowledge,and take me to school on matrix home theatre.thanks in advance-chris

cjpremierfour
09-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Hey Chris1,
I would be very cautious about products like this. It's 1000 watt claim would be enough for some buyers to question it's spec's. It's super high MSRP would put you into a very nice HI-End system on the used market. It is important to be able to recognize these "TYPES" of systems that can fool the average audio buyer.

You will see many companies like this pop up from time to time, the mass market of audio buyers will buy this stuff and not know any better. Most of these companies ( 99%) are complete crap wanting to take away a large profit while giving you speakers and amplifiers that total less than 100 dollars, sometimes much less.
Just be careful ( research and ask questions )

topspeed
09-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Run, run away! It's crap, you can tell by the marketing lingo. Same White Van stuff you've heard about, they simply replaced the van with a website.

Always remember, if it sounds too good to be true...

PeruvianSkies
09-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Juuuuuuunk!

chris1
09-12-2007, 07:15 PM
thanks so much guys.i really,really thank yall for not letting me buy junk(my wife thanks you too).so i bet i will get 1000 opinions,but here goes... we are looking at buying a 42"flat screen,and a htib.we will have 1000. for the tv,and around 500. for the htib.we like the sony dcv-is10(micro speakers).if yall had 500. for htib,would you go that route,our den is not to large.my wife is certain she wants small surround sound speakers(on the wall)since the sony had a total of 450watts.priamry use will be listening to ipod,and movies.thanks again for all your help.-chris

Luvin Da Blues
09-12-2007, 07:19 PM
For $500, I would be looking at used gear. I don't think that you would be satisfied with a cheap HTIB.

Would you consider a HT receiver and a just a pair of decent speakers then add the surrounds and sub as the budget allows?

chris1
09-12-2007, 07:23 PM
i guess i would be.we have a 10 month old now,so majority of cash goes towards him.i was going to have my electrician friend run the wires for 5 or 6 speakers in the wall.are you to sure that a 500.htib is gonna be wrong for me?what about 600.denon htib.i see alot on best buy,and circuit city sites.am i looking at the wrong sites?thanks-chris

Luvin Da Blues
09-12-2007, 07:33 PM
i guess i would be.we have a 10 month old now,so majority of cash goes towards him.i was going to have my electrician friend run the wires for 5 or 6 speakers in the wall.are you to sure that a 500.htib is gonna be wrong for me?what about 600.denon htib.i see alot on best buy,and circuit city sites.am i looking at the wrong sites?thanks-chris

No, I'm not saying it would be wrong for you, especially when I don't know what your requirements and expectations are. I'm just saying that for $500 there is going to be a lot of compromises in the system.

If the store has a good return policy there is nothing wrong with picking one up and have a demo in your home.

Glad you have your priorities straight to.

Since I have a good feeling about you Chris, I'll offer you a 5 year old Kenwood HTIB I have for free if you want to pick up the COD and customs charges from Canada. I think I paid about $600 CDN for it

PeruvianSkies
09-12-2007, 08:45 PM
No, I'm not saying it would be wrong for you, especially when I don't know what your requirements and expectations are. I'm just saying that for $500 there is going to be a lot of compromises in the system.

If the store has a good return policy there is nothing wrong with picking one up and have a demo in your home.

Glad you have your priorities straight to.

Since I have a good feeling about you Chris, I'll offer you a 5 year old Kenwood HTIB I have for free if you want to pick up the COD and customs charges from Canada. I think I paid about $600 CDN for it

Now see, that's what I call a real pal. I always knew that you were a good guy there Luvin Da Blues, probably cause you are a PSB man, but offering that is a really cool thing. In fact, it would be cool if more people around here could share and build a tighter community together. I am not saying we have to give our stuff away to one another, but it's a great gesture. I enjoy GIVING as much as getting, so I always give stuff to friends when I upgrade, they get something out of the deal and it always feels like the right thing to do, in fact I can think of 5 people that have benefited from my kindness.

chris1
09-12-2007, 09:09 PM
luvin da blues u are a very,very thoughtful man.what would be the total i owe you.i know my other half wants a warranty,but i shouldnt pass up that kind of deal.can you give me the model # of the kenwood htib so i can look it up,and show her.i dont want the message to sound as if im "whooped",its just taken a while to convince "mama"we need some upgrades.5 years and we're both still laughin,progress is precious.

chris1
09-12-2007, 09:30 PM
i sent private message to peruvianskies,instead of luvin da blues.i aplogize.

Luvin Da Blues
09-13-2007, 03:42 AM
i sent private message to peruvianskies,instead of luvin da blues.i aplogize.

Hey Chris1, I sent you an email with a PDF of the manual.