TEAC Reference 300 advise needed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TEAC Reference 300 advise needed

andrewh973
09-11-2007, 05:27 AM
Hello All,

Due to space and budget configurations, I've recently looked at the TEAC Reference 300 components, specifically the AGH300 MkIII receiver and the PD-H300 MkIII CD player.

Does anyone know much about these products? Build? Sound? TEAC also has a separate Amp and Tuner in the Reference 300 Series, but they seem to be only for the European market. Is this true, or are they also available in the US?

Also, any recommendations for bookshelf speakers that would be a compatible match for these components?

Thanks much,

Andrew

Mr Peabody
09-28-2007, 10:29 PM
I've found that TEAC's pieces very but generally they are a pretty good value. They have always had screwed up marketing which makes it hard to tell the OK from the very good. They just aren't consistent, you find TEAC anywhere and everywhere and most of the time when you find them the place won't have a full line, it will be this model or that. I don't even know if it's the same owners anymore. They used to be the low end for Esoterik, way back when. I don't know about today, but at one time, for me, their cassette decks where second only to Nakamichi. Their reel-to-reel was legendary. But, basically, I can't really answer your question, I haven't heard those pieces.

For speakers, it depends on what price you are looking at. You might start with Paradigm, they sound good, start around $200.00 and are pretty easy to drive for a receiver. You can also hang on to them to do a good job if you ever upgrade.

I figure what little I can contribute is better than nothing, or, maybe not...