Blu-ray players out selling HD-DVD despite... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blu-ray players out selling HD-DVD despite...

Mr Peabody
09-10-2007, 05:06 PM
According to data published by Video Business Blu-ray players are out selling HD-DVD despite Blu-ray having higher prices. Why?

Is it that Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Phillips, Samsung, carry more retail recognition for quality over Toshiba?

Is it the perception of Toshiba against everyone else and no one but super heroes win, when they are out numbered by, a lot!

I also saw Sony is putting Blu-ray drives in the computer line. No surprise here.

Could the buying off of Paramount have less sting than what we once thought?

Anyone else see any retail sales figures posted anywhere?

I hated to start yet another Blu-ray thread but I thought this was important enough to give everyone a chance to chime in.

musicman1999
09-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Interesting info.I am getting closer to a purchase i think,everything still going well with yours?

bill

Mr Peabody
09-10-2007, 07:08 PM
The player is doing fine but I can't get Samsung to answer any emails. I was worried one night, I was getting sound with no picture. After checking everything, for some reason I unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged it back in and that cured the problem. I pushed on the connection to make sure it was secure before that, I'm not sure why taking it out and putting back in did anything. Maybe it was a coincidence. I see a lot of new players coming out. All of this upcoming generation that's coming out seemed to be well equipped. I haven't seen any specs on SD upsampling yet. That was important to me, to get good DVD playback for my existing collection.

I just got my 5 free BR movies in today.
Blazing Saddles
Stealth
Babble - I haven't seen this movie yet.
Transporter 2
Chicken Little

This gives me a total of 8 BR titles. I'm on my way!

musicman1999
09-10-2007, 07:37 PM
I have heard these stories about HDMI before,various units having handshake issues.I am still unsure about which player to get,Home Theatre Magazine has a story this month about ths Sony,Panasonic and the Samsung 2nd gen players.They felt the Panasonic had the best audio and the video performance was close.They also felt the PS3 was still the best deal,but that does n ot work for me as i need 5.1 analog outs for high def audio.The new Pioneer looks interesting as it also is network compatible,however it is a little more money,$999 cdn.A local store had it on sale last week for $849 but the sale was over before i heard about it.

bill

pixelthis
09-10-2007, 09:46 PM
I have heard these stories about HDMI before,various units having handshake issues.I am still unsure about which player to get,Home Theatre Magazine has a story this month about ths Sony,Panasonic and the Samsung 2nd gen players.They felt the Panasonic had the best audio and the video performance was close.They also felt the PS3 was still the best deal,but that does n ot work for me as i need 5.1 analog outs for high def audio.The new Pioneer looks interesting as it also is network compatible,however it is a little more money,$999 cdn.A local store had it on sale last week for $849 but the sale was over before i heard about it.

bill

The Sony at 499$ seems the best bet. I beleive (but am not sure) that it has 5,1 out.
The picture is outstanding. AND A BARGAIN.
But I am going to wait, HD disc is evolutionary, not revolutionary (that was DVD) and
I dont want to give up my one 5.1 input for something that wont play SACD.
Yeah, HD on disc looks great, but the difference between a really good 480p DVD
and HD isn't great enough to make it a musthaverightnow.
On Talledega Nights I even saw video noise on the empty bleachers (moire patterns)
As for Blu-ray outselling hddvd, it seems even the great unwashed smell the stench of death about toshibas new toy, in that respect they seem more aware of the inevitable
more than some of the "knowledgeable" on this board:1:

Mr Peabody
09-11-2007, 06:20 AM
The Panasonic BD-P10a was going to be what I bought until I could not get one when I wanted one. So after reading a DVD shoot out article Westcott posted that said the Samsung had the best SD playback bar none and finding one for $459.00 on Amazon, I jumped on it. It lacks a lot of the new stuff but it's features I can do with out for a while. The Sony S500 will be the one to look at, as well as the Panasonic. I can't remember where the Sony price will be at for the 500. Samsung also has a few new models and the entry level will offer the HD audio stuff with analog outs.

I actually have been satisfied with the improvement in just the digital audio output of my Samsung.

musicman1999
09-11-2007, 06:54 AM
I am not concerned about sd playback as my Sim Audio will handle that just fine.I had planned to wait for a high end player but they seem a long way off if ever so i am just going to grab something soon as long as it has analog outs as my pre/pro has no HDMI.Anthem has an upgrade for the AVM-30 to AVM-50 spec that adds 4 in and 1 out HDMI and a Gennum 1080p video processor,but it is about $2500,so maybe next year for that,maybe.

bill

Mr Peabody
09-11-2007, 09:27 AM
If you have 5.1 or 7.1 analog inputs, I don't think I'd lay out that kind of money just for HDMI.

Are you wanting a high end Blu-ray for the best possible video or are you hoping for some type of audio disc playback? I don't know how much better the Denon will be but it had better offer something more for $2k. If I remember correctly I believe the Elite player is supposed to be a step up. Sony is also putting out a better built unit under it's ES line. But are you paying for performance or just a more rigid cabinet. It probably will be a little further down the road but Marantz is also putting a BR unit out and I hear retail price is up there.

Woochifer
09-11-2007, 04:02 PM
We'll see how the Paramount/Dreamworks switchover affects player sales. Until that announcement, HD-DVD only had Bourne Ultimatum to look forward to among the highest grossing summer releases. Now that HD-DVD can add high grossing titles like Shrek 3 and Transformers to its exclusive release roster, Blu-ray's no longer a no-brainer for the mass market though it still retains an exclusivity advantage because of the box office performance for Sony, Fox, and Disney.

Under the market conditions that existed prior to their going over to HD-DVD, I think it was inevitable that Blu-ray would surpass HD-DVD in standalone player sales even with higher prices. With a sizable studio support advantage, Blu-ray had the luxury of justifying a price premium over HD-DVD. HD-DVD had a clear disadvantage in title availability (particularly with new releases), and was forced to prop up market share by dropping prices.

Now that HD-DVD has cut into Blu-ray's studio support advantage, Blu-ray is in less of a position to justify significantly higher prices. At the same time, HD-DVD is in a less dire situation, so they might not see a need to keep pushing prices further down (especially if Toshiba indeed continues to lose money on each HD-DVD player sold).

On the flip side, I think your point about brand recognition should not be underestimated. More brands and more models equates to more retail shelf space (at least with electronics stores) and visibility. Even if Toshiba by itself still sells about the same number of standalone players as Sony, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Panasonic, Sharp, JVC, LG, Hitachi, and Mitsubishi, their model lineup simply occupies less shelf space than the much bigger assortment of Blu-ray players.

Toshiba is on its own until the off-brand stuff from China begins arriving in earnest. OTOH, Blu-ray has multiple companies marketing their own hardware, and clamoring to get their players onto store shelves. Panasonic is jointly marketing their Blu-ray players and new 1080p plasma sets with Disney's Platinum Series Blu-ray launch, and Sharp has begun cobranding their newly introduced Blu-ray player and LCD HDTVs under the AQUOS label.

drseid
09-12-2007, 01:54 AM
At the same time, HD-DVD is in a less dire situation, so they might not see a need to keep pushing prices further down (especially if Toshiba indeed continues to lose money on each HD-DVD player sold).

Toshiba is on its own until the off-brand stuff from China begins arriving in earnest.

Well, it may not be from China (but might be manufactured there for all I know), but Toshiba does not really have to lower the retail price of their players in the short run unless they want to because a new manufacturer (Venturer) is releasing a $199 MSRP player for Q4 this year (and many on forum groups are expecting a possible $99 selling price around holiday time -- I am thinking more along the $149 level myself). This also puts some doubt on the loss-leader claims by some of Toshiba's own offerings. I don't believe they ever were losing money on these things, but no doubt would have loved to earn much more margin than they did... Link to brief press release on the Venturer SHD700 HD DVD player from August follows....

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/venturer-to-launch-hd-dvd-player/4700

and a follow-up link to the pricing announcement...

---Dave

Mr Peabody
09-12-2007, 08:55 AM
I did read some where too that there were supposed to be some Chinese HD-DVD players hit. What's interesting, manufacturers like Daewoo and Funai are coming out with BR players but the projected price isn't that much cheaper than some of the others. But things could change when they hit the shelf. No one will buy them at the same price when they can get a name brand.

musicman1999
09-12-2007, 12:28 PM
I read up on the 2 new sony players,the ES player looks kind of nice.Some of Sony's ES line are decent gear that maybe one to look at,anyway I think I will wait for the gen3 players
before i move.

bill

Mr Peabody
09-12-2007, 01:27 PM
So Bill, which one are you going to buy, this fall line will be gen 3.

Sony: SD-1 (gen 1), S300 (gen 2), S500 (gen 3)

Samsung: bd-p1000 (gen 1), bd-p1200 (gen 2), bd-p1400 (gen 3), well actually bd-p1400 is there dual format but they do have a gen 3 to take the place of the 1200, I just forgot the model, I'm wanting to say 2400.

The new Panasonics are gen 3 as well, I just don't know all their models. The bd-p10a is the gen 2.

I know, you meant to say gen 4 :) You just aren't ready to jump.

musicman1999
09-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Maybe you are right,this is getting confusing.Just when i think i have made up my mind something pops up and changes it.The fall schedule has some good looking stuff on it,such as Blade Runner and the Kuprick collection could sway me,but i am still looking for a new amp as well so that could change things as well.

bill

Mr Peabody
09-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Bill, I was looking around some for you and www.spearitsound.com has a $3,995.00 msrp McCormack 5x125 amp new for $3,199.00. I also saw several Proceed amps on Audiogon under $2k. There was also an EAD Powermaster but I forgot the price. Krell was over the $3k mark. Several Bryston as well but I'm not that familiar with their line up.

musicman1999
09-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks man,i will check them out.I have never heard McCormick gear but they have a very good reputation.There is a used Arcam P35/3 that i know is coming up for sale next month,don't know the price yet,add another P35 or even a P90 and that might be a pretty good set up.I also went to the local Sony store to inquire about the new Bluray players and they had heard about the 500 but not the ES.

bill

hermanv
10-13-2007, 02:57 PM
If you mean McCormack audio, they are owned by Conrad Johnson. I would assume that C-J has shared some expertise with McCormack who already made a decent product.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-14-2007, 11:44 AM
According to data published by Video Business Blu-ray players are out selling HD-DVD despite Blu-ray having higher prices. Why?

Is it that Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Phillips, Samsung, carry more retail recognition for quality over Toshiba?

Is it the perception of Toshiba against everyone else and no one but super heroes win, when they are out numbered by, a lot!

I also saw Sony is putting Blu-ray drives in the computer line. No surprise here.

Could the buying off of Paramount have less sting than what we once thought?

Anyone else see any retail sales figures posted anywhere?

I hated to start yet another Blu-ray thread but I thought this was important enough to give everyone a chance to chime in.

Sales for this week were 68-32% in Bluray's favor.

Personally I don't think the Paramount?Dreamworks deal is going to have the effect that the HD DVD PG expects. All one has to do is look at Universal HDM performance over the last 15 months or so. The inablility to release any of Spielbergs movies has kept their sales below that of all the other studios. Universal is not doing well at all in their catalog sales, and seems to only get traction with date and day releases with the DVD. Not one of Universal titles were in the top ten sales tier this week on NDP. And neither was any titles from Paramount as well

Paramount cannot release any Amblin picture titles, and no Spielberg titles. These would be the only catalog titles that would do exceptionally well at this point in the formats history. Top Gun which is supposed to be a pretty hot title for release this week, finished behind the Bluray version of 300 which has now sold 250k copies on bluray only. Small change compared to the DVD which sold millions, but a big deal for both of the new formats.

10-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Well, it may not be from China (but might be manufactured there for all I know), but Toshiba does not really have to lower the retail price of their players in the short run unless they want to because a new manufacturer (Venturer) is releasing a $199 MSRP player for Q4 this year (and many on forum groups are expecting a possible $99 selling price around holiday time -- I am thinking more along the $149 level myself). This also puts some doubt on the loss-leader claims by some of Toshiba's own offerings. I don't believe they ever were losing money on these things, but no doubt would have loved to earn much more margin than they did... Link to brief press release on the Venturer SHD700 HD DVD player from August follows....

and a follow-up link to the pricing announcement...

---Dave

Dave,
Toshiba is losing money on every player. Isuppli did a parts breakdown on the A1, XA1, A2 and XA2, and they were losing their shirts on the A1 and XA1, and XA2. They are not losing quite so much with the A2.

bobsticks
10-14-2007, 12:00 PM

Personally I don't think the Paramount?Dreamworks deal is going to have the effect that the HD DVD PG expects. All one has to do is look at Universal HDM performance over the last 15 months or so. The inablility to release any of Spielbergs movies has kept their sales below that of all the other studios. Universal is not doing well at all in their catalog sales, and seems to only get traction with date and day releases with the DVD. Not one of Universal titles were in the top ten sales tier this week on NDP. And neither was any titles from Paramount as well

Paramount cannot release any Amblin picture titles, and no Spielberg titles. These would be the only catalog titles that would do exceptionally well at this point in the formats history. Top Gun which is supposed to be a pretty hot title for release this week, finished behind the Bluray version of 300 which has now sold 250k copies on bluray only. Small change compared to the DVD which sold millions, but a big deal for both of the new formats.

Personally, I tend to agree with Sir T.'s assessment of the studio's effect on the overall picture. I'm leaning toward going BlueRay as I find increasingly fewer HD-DVD titles that pique my interest.

I do however have a question (one of many). If, as stated on a previous thread, Wal-Mart and the online concerns don't report sales figures, doesn't this significantly skew any data? It seems to me that these venues would be more appealing to low dollar and price-point conscious consumers and might, if only slightly, even the sales rates a bit between the formats and their players. I'm thinking particularly of the XBOX 360 and the add-on. Thoughts?

Hey T., any shortcomings of the PS3 that I need to be aware of?

PeruvianSkies
10-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Personally, I tend to agree with Sir T.'s assessment of the studio's effect on the overall picture. I'm leaning toward going BlueRay as I find increasingly fewer HD-DVD titles that pique my interest.

I do however have a question (one of many). If, as stated on a previous thread, Wal-Mart and the online concerns don't report sales figures, doesn't this significantly skew any data? It seems to me that these venues would be more appealing to low dollar and price-point conscious consumers and might, if only slightly, even the sales rates a bit between the formats and their players. I'm thinking particularly of the XBOX 360 and the add-on. Thoughts?

Hey T., any shortcomings of the PS3 that I need to be aware of?

I still think that Blu-ray will win just because it's cooler to say..."bloooo raaaay" Rather than the obligatory H-DEE-DEE-VEE-DEE. It's harder to say and I think more people like the color blue than red. Plus PS3 has better marketing and their players are ready to go without any mods.

Mr Peabody
10-14-2007, 01:33 PM
I was out at Costco Saturday and noticed they were selling both software formats. HD-DVD's were single titles where the Blu-ray were 4 movies in a bundle for $85.00. I haven't checked to see if they had any players yet. The margin is so low on electronics even clubs like Costco usually can't save you anything above the other mass merchants.

Groundbeef
10-14-2007, 03:24 PM

Personally I don't think the Paramount?Dreamworks deal is going to have the effect that the HD DVD PG expects. All one has to do is look at Universal HDM performance over the last 15 months or so. .

Lets see next week, after the Transformers comes out. Over on the PS3/BluRay boards everyone about soiled themselves when they realized it was going to be HD-DVD.

Percentage of sales should be a bit skewed next week. What came out last week? I don't think much for HD-DVD.

pixelthis
10-14-2007, 10:34 PM
HHGREG is selling the sony blu player for 399$, which is the cheapest I have seen it.
With five free movies thats under 300 bucks for actual cost
When the actual cost of a blu player hits 250, tosh will have an even bigger problem than they do now:1:

drseid
10-15-2007, 01:29 AM
Dave,
Toshiba is losing money on every player. Isuppli did a parts breakdown on the A1, XA1, A2 and XA2, and they were losing their shirts on the A1 and XA1, and XA2. They are not losing quite so much with the A2.

I am not familiar with Isuppli, so I can't comment on them specifically. I will say that only Toshiba knows what their true costs are. Many can make educated guesses by consensus parts cost data (Apple, Sony and many other companies are subjected to this all the time), and some may be right, but I would say it is all speculation.

I still maintain that is seems unlikely that Venturer would sell their players at a loss (although again, not impossible if they are using a quick market penetration strategy at an artificially low price point). If so, it stands to reason that Toshiba is not losing money on their players either (as they cost more than the Venturer). Both can't be proven by me, as I have no connection professionally to either company, so I am not privy to their repective true costs. I am just making a similar kind of educated guess based on logical company reasoning.

---Dave

10-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Lets see next week, after the Transformers comes out. Over on the PS3/BluRay boards everyone about soiled themselves when they realized it was going to be HD-DVD.

Percentage of sales should be a bit skewed next week. What came out last week? I don't think much for HD-DVD.

Groundbeef, spare us your fanboyism. Everyone knew when Paramount was paid to stop supporting bluray that Transformers was not going to come to bluray. Its now been a couple of months since the deal transpired. So if anyone soiled themselves on this, they did it in your imagination. That is all.........

PeruvianSkies
10-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Groundbeef, spare us your fanboyism. Everyone knew when Paramount was paid to stop supporting bluray that Transformers was not going to come to bluray. Its now been a couple of months since the deal transpired. So if anyone soiled themselves on this, they did it in your imagination. That is all.........

Will you spare us your elitism in exchange?

ericl
10-15-2007, 09:09 PM
this format war sucks big time. i would have bought a player months and months ago had there been one option.. now, i'm going to have to wait a year or more.. lame

ericl
10-15-2007, 09:42 PM
freakin transformers is a perfect example.. i'd go with a blu-ray player, but TF is exactly the type of movie i'd want in HD. boooo!

GMichael
10-16-2007, 05:26 AM
I see a PS3 in my near future.

Groundbeef
10-16-2007, 05:49 AM

That is all what? Did your brain shutdown after your hit the period?

Lets get a couple things out in the open here Mr. T. What exactly is wrong with being a fan? Companies love them, heck the industry needs them to promote their format. So unless you have something else to add, your just making more of a fool of yourself. Tired of getting your ass handed to you on the other thread, and thought you would try over here?

Second, is it worse to have an opinion about something, and not be receiving compensation for it? I mean, you seem to have it out for "industry insiders":

GB, if you are going to make a point on this issue, chose sources that are not interested parties.

You blindly believe sales figures quoted by an interested party, and take the spin as truth.

I am quick to point out that I do not listen to any sales figures, stats, or any twisted information coming from either Sony nor the BDA.

...don't listen to interested parties, they parcel and filter out information as to only suit their cause...

I use Sony source when its appropriate.

These are all quotes directly pulled from your responses on other threads relating to HD-DVD/BluRay. Then this little tidbit caught my eye:

I have over 120 HD DVD movies, and oh, I work for a studio that is exclusive to bluray.

And that doesn't call into question your intent on forwarding the BR cause? If I'm a "fanboy" as you put it, I guess you are an industry whore. Lets call a spade a spade.

L.J.
10-16-2007, 06:23 AM
I see a PS3 in my near future.

Add Pirates to that list. Excellent demo matl :thumbsup:

GMichael
10-16-2007, 07:55 AM
Add Pirates to that list. Excellent demo matl :thumbsup:

Oh yeah,

That's on my short list.

I hope they still have the 5 or 7 free movie offer when I'm ready.

The new 40G looks like it will fill my needs. I don't have any PS2 games now to worry about BC. There was a rumour that it wouldn't play SACD's, but I see it on the list of playback medium on several other links. Just have to look close before I pull the trigger.

Also depends on what packages they come out with for the 60G. Looks like they have excess stock on those. They may start making some deals to move them soon. A second wireless remote and a game to start off with would get my vote.

L.J.
10-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Oh yeah,

That's on my short list.

I hope they still have the 5 or 7 free movie offer when I'm ready.

The new 40G looks like it will fill my needs. I don't have any PS2 games now to worry about BC. There was a rumour that it wouldn't play SACD's, but I see it on the list of playback medium on several other links. Just have to look close before I pull the trigger.

Also depends on what packages they come out with for the 60G. Looks like they have excess stock on those. They may start making some deals to move them soon. A second wireless remote and a game to start off with would get my vote.

GM, where are you finding specs on the 40g at?

GMichael
10-16-2007, 09:07 AM
GM, where are you finding specs on the 40g at?

I get a Google alert each day with news on the PS3. Some of the specs were from the UK. Some were from Best Buy. If you Google "PS3 news" You'll get plenty of hits. Most of them are just rumours though. You'll have to sift through the BS.

basite
10-16-2007, 09:28 AM
this format war sucks big time. i would have bought a player months and months ago had there been one option.. now, i'm going to have to wait a year or more.. lame

:4: :16: :5: HE LIVES!!!

it's been a long while since you've posted here :)

Anyhow, I think blu ray will win this war anyways, because people see this as a new format. Unlike HD-DVD, which they think is just an "upgraded version" of a standard dvd...

nevertheless, it's a stupid war :)

GMichael
10-16-2007, 09:32 AM

Anyhow, I think blu ray will win this war anyways, because people see this as a new format. Unlike HD-DVD, which they think is just an "upgraded version" of a standard dvd...

It's a (can I say it?) a cold war....................

kexodusc
10-16-2007, 10:10 AM

Yeah, I tend to think BluRay is the safer bet too - for no other reason than the PS3. The fact that BluRay is tied in with it suggests to me that it will be supported for at least the next several years, which is more guarantee than I get from HD-DVD camp. PS3 eventually will sell millions of units, even if it falls to #3 in the console war, and even if Sony is forced to practically give the things away just to minimize the billions they lose on it. Throw in the universal players, the and the off-brands, and I think it's safe to say BluRay won't finish anywhere below a draw with HD-DVD and should have a product life long enough for people to get their money's worth before movie downloads or whatever comes next.

The stupidest thing about this format "war" was that it wasn't really a war at all...at least not one decided by consumers - some of the big studios, and Microsoft, in their market-defiant stupidity elected to take the exlusivity approach rather than letting consumers decide. These camps have to know that mutual destruction is likely the most probable outcome - which I think is exactly what Microsoft wants while it continues to work on its downloading services, and would even be a moral victory for Toshiba if the DVD life continues to extend into the future before eventually being replaced,. Smart business move for Microsoft, bad for us though.

Oh well. The prices are getting low enough that I'm tempted to splurge here and get an HD-DVD player first. I figure there's a dozen or so titles I could enjoy - then in a year or so when I likely buy a PS3 I'll have myself hedged. Only problem is there's so few movies from either that really pique my interest at this point...Maybe in a few more months, or after Christmas when sales drop and prices might be a bit more favorable. But I'm not sitting on the fence forever...

Groundbeef
10-16-2007, 11:07 AM
I get a Google alert each day with news on the PS3. Some of the specs were from the UK. Some were from Best Buy. If you Google "PS3 news" You'll get plenty of hits. Most of them are just rumours though. You'll have to sift through the BS.

I think that if you are on the fence for the 40GB, you might just bite on the 60GB "clearance". After they are gone, then the 80GB is supposed to take the top price spot. From what I have read, the 40GB is a rather open "secret" as Sony doesn't want to introduce until after the 60GB inventory is gone. Don't want to leave a bunch of orphens.

The 60GB has better BW compatiblity, as there is some sort of hardware chip inside to help. The 40GB drops it in a cost saving measure. I don't know how much they are saving, but even a couple of dollars per unit is a substancial savings.

Here is some info about the system, and apparently its dropping 10/28 w/ spiderman 3 and a controller.

http://www.gamingbits.com/content/view/2845/2/

Here's a pretty decent site for all PS3 news:

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/

It is a collection of news stories related to PS3. Scroll to the bottom, and there is a whole collection of news sites. Engadget HD is pretty good. Lots of HD info on new systems, TV's, and HD players.

GMichael
10-16-2007, 11:42 AM
I think that if you are on the fence for the 40GB, you might just bite on the 60GB "clearance". After they are gone, then the 80GB is supposed to take the top price spot. From what I have read, the 40GB is a rather open "secret" as Sony doesn't want to introduce until after the 60GB inventory is gone. Don't want to leave a bunch of orphens.

The 60GB has better BW compatiblity, as there is some sort of hardware chip inside to help. The 40GB drops it in a cost saving measure. I don't know how much they are saving, but even a couple of dollars per unit is a substancial savings.

Here is some info about the system, and apparently its dropping 10/28 w/ spiderman 3 and a controller.

http://www.gamingbits.com/content/view/2845/2/

Here's a pretty decent site for all PS3 news:

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/

It is a collection of news stories related to PS3. Scroll to the bottom, and there is a whole collection of news sites. Engadget HD is pretty good. Lots of HD info on new systems, TV's, and HD players.

That's what I've been hearing too. I'd rather get the 60GB, especially if it comes in a decent package/bundle. I don't see myself buying any PS2 games, but why not have the option if available? The upgrades they are making to the 40GB seem very minor at best. Uses a little less power. A little more wireless range. Not sure if either add up to much.

I'm waiting to see what the next few weeks bring.

L.J.
10-16-2007, 11:50 AM
I'll second going with the 60g. I pick up a few PS2 games every now and then. Can't beat getting games for under $10 to keep the kid happy for awhile. He doesn't care about HD. Also, my wife enjoys the gameshow type games like wheel of fortune or family feud. We pull those out when we have guests over too.

And the simple fact that I already own about 60 or 70 PS1&PS2 games already doesn't hurt much either :ciappa:

GMichael
10-16-2007, 12:07 PM
I'll second going with the 60g. I pick up a few PS2 games every now and then. Can't beat getting games for under $10 to keep the kid happy for awhile. He doesn't care about HD. Also, my wife enjoys the gameshow type games like wheel of fortune or family feud. We pull those out when we have guests over too.

And the simple fact that I already own about 60 or 70 PS1&PS2 games already doesn't hurt much either :ciappa:

I think the 40GB will still play the PS1 games. Just no PS2 games, yet, with no intentions of upgrades, yet. Sony. Can't live with them, can't grind them into dust.

Great point about the game shows though. Thanks. My wife may make me run out this weekend and buy one so she can play that Wheel-O-Fortune game. For once, I'll be the one saying, "Not yet. Just wait!"

PeruvianSkies
10-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Not sure about anyone else, but I am really happy to see EYES WIDE SHUT, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, and a CLOCKWORK ORANGE coming to the HD formats, which FULL METAL JACKET already was for those fellow Kubrick fans. I will be very interested to see how they look!!!!!!

GMichael
10-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Not sure about anyone else, but I am really happy to see EYES WIDE SHUT, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, and a CLOCKWORK ORANGE coming to the HD formats, which FULL METAL JACKET already was for those fellow Kubrick fans. I will be very interested to see how they look!!!!!!

They won't look the same as the film though.

Groundbeef
10-16-2007, 01:33 PM
They won't look the same as the film though.

Must you needle him? With the exception of Sir Clueless around here its been pretty quiet.

GMichael
10-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Must you needle him? With the exception of Sir Clueless around here its been pretty quiet.

Just a friendly poke. At least I didn't call anyone clueless.

Oops,.......

L.J.
10-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Wow, you guys are starting to get way to sensitive around here :ciappa:

Groundbeef
10-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Just a friendly poke. At least I didn't call anyone clueless.

Oops,.......

Oh, you're right. Terrance, Clueless, I just hit the wrong key I guess.

KEX, clean out your mailbox. Tried to return your PM and its full. Wouldn't take.

Mr Peabody
10-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Our local news did a story on the analog TV being turned off in 2009 and said there are going to be some PSA's hitting the air to alert people to the change. Good timing right before Christmas, ay? It will be interesting to see if it spurs any upswing in sales of either HDTV's or HD disc players. Then again, how would we actually know if it had any effect. They did also mention the $40.00 voucher toward the con-verter.

Groundbeef
10-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Our local news did a story on the analog TV being turned off in 2009 and said there are going to be some PSA's hitting the air to alert people to the change. Good timing right before Christmas, ay? It will be interesting to see if it spurs any upswing in sales of either HDTV's or HD disc players. Then again, how would we actually know if it had any effect. They did also mention the $40.00 voucher toward the con-verter.

Main effect will be people with older TV's who use OTA for their TV watching. If you have cable, your "box" will convert it. If you don't currently need a "box" you might have to get one from your provider.

Sat won't be affected, as it is already digital.

But yes, you can bet your ass that every sales weasel at BB, or CC will be drumming this one right over to the ol' plasma/LCD display.

10-16-2007, 10:59 PM
That is all what? Did your brain shutdown after your hit the period?

Lets get a couple things out in the open here Mr. T. What exactly is wrong with being a fan? Companies love them, heck the industry needs them to promote their format. So unless you have something else to add, your just making more of a fool of yourself. Tired of getting your ass handed to you on the other thread, and thought you would try over here?

Second, is it worse to have an opinion about something, and not be receiving compensation for it? I mean, you seem to have it out for "industry insiders":

These are all quotes directly pulled from your responses on other threads relating to HD-DVD/BluRay. Then this little tidbit caught my eye:

And that doesn't call into question your intent on forwarding the BR cause? If I'm a "fanboy" as you put it, I guess you are an industry whore. Lets call a spade a spade.

Since this is not the other thread, I am not going point to point with this. You really should grow up and learn to keep the trash in one thread out of the others kid. Really.

I am going to say this though, I own 120 HD DVD disc, how many do you own? If it is not 120 or more, then I am a bigger HD DVD supporter than you are. You have a $179 HD DVD drive, I have a $650 HD DVD player. You TALK about HD DVD, I buy it. So I guess I am a HD on disc whore, a title I gladly except.

I just want to thank my mom and my dad......oops wrong venue.

Groundbeef
10-17-2007, 05:14 AM
Since this is not the other thread, I am not going point to point with this. You really should grow up and learn to keep the trash in one thread out of the others kid. Really.

I am going to say this though, I own 120 HD DVD disc, how many do you own? If it is not 120 or more, then I am a bigger HD DVD supporter than you are. You have a $179 HD DVD drive, I have a $650 HD DVD player. You TALK about HD DVD, I buy it. So I guess I am a HD on disc whore, a title I gladly except.

I just want to thank my mom and my dad......oops wrong venue.

I own 7. As you say "I would rather own Quality than Quantity". I own the ones I want. Not just a big wall of movies to make up for my otherwise physical inadequacies. Kinda like guys who buy expensive cars I guess...

And disc whore, and paid insider Industry Whore are two different animals. You profess to disregard info from other "Industry Insiders" but low and behold YOUR ONE OF THEM.

So now I guess we can call you the HD-DVD SuperFanboy who lives ostenatiously, and is a paid Industry Shill. Hey, if the shoe fits, wear it.:)