Need a headphone recommendation [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need a headphone recommendation

JeffKnob
09-10-2007, 01:55 PM
I would like to get a pair of headphones that I can use to listen to my ipod at home and possibly also listen to movies later at night. I am looking at the on the ear/over the ear type. I would like to keep it under $100. Here is what I have found:

Grado SR-60
Grado SR-80
Sennheiser HD-595

dean_martin
09-11-2007, 12:39 PM
I have the Grado SR-60s and SR-80s. My brother permanently borrowed my SR-60s. When my wife found out, she got me a pair of SR-80s for Christmas. She's a sweetie. Anyhow, headphones are a personal thing, IMO. I loved the sound of the SR-60s, but they weren't that comfortable for extended listening. The SR-80s are more comfortable, but I haven't really warmed up to their sound yet. I can't put my finger on what's different in the sound because my system has changed so much since I used to use the SR-60s. The one difference that is immediately obvious is the SR-60s can be heard by anyone in the room with you - the SR-80s do not "leak" as much. If you're layin' in bed watching a movie while your spouse or significant other tries to sleep next to you, the SR-60s won't do.

One of these days I'm gonna try a pair of Senns. I've read a little about the 595s. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of those 3.

Mr Peabody
09-11-2007, 03:02 PM
I've got a few pair of Sennheiser and a big fan. You'll find on this board there are Senn fans and Grado fans, and we are loyal to our brand. I haven't heard the 595 but in my experience Sennheiser's are more accurate and balanced in sound quality where Grado's are warmer and to my ears have a greatly exaggerated bass response.

If the 595's have Senn's typical open back design, they will definitely let sound out into the room. I bought a pair of HD590's for the bedroom and my wife tells me I ought to just keep the speakers on because the headphones aren't much quieter. She tends to exaggerate to make her point but they will disturb others in the room to be sure. My portables on the other hand will not leak. People on the bus beside me can't even hear them. They seal outside noise out too.

RGA
09-13-2007, 03:28 PM
You should be able to find a Sennheiser 580 if you look for close to $100.00 and I would listen to that...though it requires more power usually a headphone amplifier to get the best from it. It won't run from a portable very well at all.

Also look at AKG - I have a $40.00 AKG 26p and it is a lot better than you would think given the price. I prefer it to a lot of cans I have heard for double that price in fact from Sennheiser or Grado.

Feanor
09-13-2007, 05:53 PM
I would like to get a pair of headphones that I can use to listen to my ipod at home and possibly also listen to movies later at night. I am looking at the on the ear/over the ear type. I would like to keep it under $100. Here is what I have found:

Grado SR-60
Grado SR-80
Sennheiser HD-595

The best reference for headphones is HeadRoom ...

http://www.headphone.com/
I agree with RGA, (this time): the AKG K 26 P are good on-the-ear 'phones that offer at least a bit of isolatation from ambient noise.

rollingsphere
10-28-2007, 10:44 AM
I primarily use the Grado SR80's and can give them an honest recommendation. For the price its hard to go wrong with them. I use them along with a CMOY type amp and have been loving them.

herm0016
12-04-2007, 06:28 PM
i really like my sony V6. it is the brother of the 7506 but is a little bit less harsh by way of not having the spike at 2k. they are very good isolating headphones also. the have good deep base and nice highs. you can get them on amazon for around $80.00. I think they are one of the best bang for your buck head phones. they also fold up nice and are built like a tank. mine live in my backpack in the bag supplied with them and travel with my in the air. they are also very comfortable to me, wearing them for a few hours does not bother me at all.

audio_dude
12-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Go with the AKG K 26 P's already mentioned or the Grade SR-60's or 80's mentioned.

Can't go wrong with ether.

Jenn11803
12-06-2007, 12:29 PM
I agree with everyone that suggested the Grado SR60. I work out of my home, and I use them on a daily basis. Yes, you look a bit funny, but, they absolutely work. I searched for awhile bc I wanted to make sure I got what was a great value as well as comfortable. If you want to take a look at what they look like, try this link. http://www.expotv.com/videos/reviews/16/153/S-CUSH-Replacement-Earpads-for-Grado-SR/26179
There are a few reviews on there about these headphones as well as others. Maybe that will help.

Good Luck!

audio_dude
12-16-2007, 03:56 PM
I don't think there has EVER been a negative review of these headphones. you just can't go wrong for the money. They just sound THAT good!

jrhymeammo
12-19-2007, 06:43 PM
I don't think there has EVER been a negative review of these headphones. you just can't go wrong for the money. They just sound THAT good!
KUMQUAT!!!

That is not true at all.
Here is what my impression of SR-60:

PROs:
Cheap
Fairly easy to drive.
Inexpesive ear pad replacement.

Cons
*Outdated design and tech.
*Not very 'Eargonomic'
*Swivel-Design kinks and tangles headphone wire.
*Does not like power.
*Harsh treble
*No Bass
*1 year limited warranty. I sent mine in twice before warranty ran out.
Lousy 1/8" connector, rattling woofer.

I would rather go with a Sennie or AT from audiocube.com. Not an open air design but ATH-A500 is a great deal.

Just my 2cents

Mr Peabody
12-19-2007, 08:07 PM
[QUOTE=jrhymeammo]KUMQUAT!!!

That is not true at all.
Here is what my impression of SR-60:

PROs:
Cheap
Fairly easy to drive.
Inexpesive ear pad replacement.

Cons
*Outdated design and tech.
*Not very 'Eargonomic'
*Swivel-Design kinks and tangles headphone wire.
*Does not like power.
*Harsh treble
*No Bass
*1 year limited warranty. I sent mine in twice before warranty ran out.
Lousy 1/8" connector, rattling woofer.

I would rather go with a Sennie or AT from audiocube.com. Not an open air design but ATH-A500 is a great deal.

I am not a Grado fan at all. But I can't agree with most of your Cons, something must have been wrong with what you were driving them with. For one thing my biggest complaint about any of the Grados from the 60's to the 125's is the exaggerated bass response. Bloated would be my adjective of choice. I didn't notice any harshness but I didn't turn them up beyond a comfortable listening volume. When I was looking for headphones Grado was in town but I was totally turned off by their sound. I ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD-600's online and I have bought no other brand since. I was a bit disappointed at first with my $60.00 collapsable portables but when matched with a mp3 player they showed what they were designed for and make that medium tolerable.

fourwalls
12-20-2007, 02:30 PM
I dont know about useing them with a ipod but i use Sennheiser HD 25 for 8 hr a day at work and some tmes at home to i could not live with out them.

jrhymeammo
12-22-2007, 01:56 PM
[quote=Mr Peabody

But I can't agree with most of your Cons, something must have been wrong with what you were driving them with. [/quote]

I hope so, cuz they've been reviewed extremely well with consistency. I'm toying with an idea of tube head-amp, but not sure how much that'll help with Grado sound I hear. Defintely not the pair for me.

JRA

Melvyn Davis
12-23-2007, 05:03 AM
AT's AD700s were enthusiaticall reviewed in Hi-Fi News about 5 months ago. I bought mine on the basis of the review and I'm really delighted with them. Very musical to my ears (classical music mainly) and the most comfortable I have ever worn. They might be over your $100 limit, but I guess that varies with where you price them. My were purchased in Sydney, where we are used to paying top dollar. Worth auditioning IMHO.
Cheers and a merry Christmas to all.

jrhymeammo
12-23-2007, 06:17 PM
700 is a great pair, without a doubt. That was the pair I had my heart set on, but just couldnt go forward with the color. I think the only thing that is keep them back is their brand name.

Regards,