Bookshelf or floorstanding speakers?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bookshelf or floorstanding speakers??

wchek
09-10-2007, 09:14 AM
I am not an audiophile i just want better sound system for music & movies (50/50) in my living room.

My living & dining is in the same area of about 40' x 17', but i'm just gonna setup the system at the living area (17' x 17'). Should i get bookshelf or floorstanding speakers?

I have auditioned AE Evo 3 (obsolete models therefore steep discount), Monitor Audio RS8 and Sonus Faber Concertino Domus, and i really like the Concertino for its clarity and craftmanship. The demo room is about 12' x 20'.

I am now deciding between SF Concertino and MA RS8. Since i'm already planning to get a sub, is the Concertino/VX-10 combination or RS8 better for 2-channel music listening?

Other equipments in consideration:
Sonus Faber Center Domus (if Concertino) or Monitor Audio LCR Center (if RS8)
Velodyne VX-10 subwoofer
Wharfedale Rear Diamond 9 DFS
Yamaha RX-V861 AV Amplifier
Pioneer DV600 DVD Player

What do you think of the combination of equipments above?

Thanks for your help!! :aureola:

musicman1999
09-10-2007, 11:39 AM
I would go with the Faber's myself although that is based on reviews only,i have heard neither.I am partial to French speakers myself but have been told that those Italian beauties sound similar,and they are beauties are they not.On a side note i would look at something better than a Yamaha reciever to drive them with,like putting a Toyota engine in your Ferrari.For music especially.

bill

blackraven
09-10-2007, 12:20 PM
The best advice about speakers is to buy what sounds good to you! Listen to as many speakers as possible. Don't buy on some else's opinion. You may want to ask for an opinion on what speakers to listen too, but it all comes down to what sounds good to your ears.

Just another word of advice. Don't skimp on your CDP or DVD player and don't over spend on speaker wire and cables. You can buy good wires and cables with out spending a fortune.

wchek
09-10-2007, 10:20 PM
SF is truly such a beauty that i had a crush with it on first sight!! That's why i asked for a demo and discovered that it also has inner beauty!!! The sound blew me away!!!

So which receiver would you recommend? Is there a receiver that produces good quality sound on both music & movies? Or do I need separate amp for music and movies?

If separate amp, can anyone recommend a good amp to drive SF Concertino Domus/Velodyne VX-10 sub combination for music only? I think i need a sub to take care of the low freq with the Concertino bookshelf, right?

Now i sounded like a perfect stranger to the audio world... please help!!

musicman1999
09-11-2007, 03:55 AM
Well there are many options,first what was the audio shop driving them with? This might be a good place to start,also establish a budget.You also need to decide on which features you want or need,such as video switching,HDMI,autoset up multi zone,and things of that nature.You often find that the more features that are included the less resources are used for sound quality.Myself i use an Anthem pre/pro feeding a Cambridge Audio reciever used as a power amp in turn feeding my Focal-JM Labs speakers.The Cambridge is my weak point but that will be addressed soon.

bill

basite
09-11-2007, 06:45 AM
Since you liked the MA's too, you could check out their GS line too, something like a GS 60 or a GS20, the finish is way more beautiful than the RS series (I especially like the GS line in Piano black), and the sound is also really nice...

however, with both speakers you mentioned, I don't think a yamaha would sound great with them (they can be pretty bright sounding...)...

How big is your budget, actually?

wchek
09-12-2007, 06:58 AM
The audio shop is driving the speakers with a Yamaha RX-V861, and this is the only amp i have demoed. The fact is, I have been spending most of my time choosing speakers (neglecting amps & players) because I think getting a good pair of main speakers would increase my immunity against the upgrade bugs :)

I plan to spend around $4k for a 5.1 system. If I get all the equipments as below i would be 10% over budget.

Sonus Faber Concertino Domus
Sonus Faber Center Domus
Velodyne VX-10 subwoofer
Wharfedale Rear Diamond 9 DFS
Yamaha RX-V861 AV Amplifier
Pioneer DV600 DVD Player

If this is going to save me some bucks in long run i don't mind spending the extra 10%. I can always upgrade the 2-channel music quality later on by adding a good stereo amp / pre-amp and a CD player as budget allows. This is of course based on the assumption that there is no single good amp for both music and movies, hence I still need the RX-V861 for 5.1 movies.

I am still wondering if a bookshelf is sufficient for my room size (17x17 with one side fully open). Any idea?

For now, I have not committed to anything yet so my options are open.

Any comments on the equipment list above? Any other suggestions on how to spend $4k?

bobsticks
09-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Hey wchek,

Welcome to the forum. I respect the way you're trying to do it right the first time. I wish I would have done that and saved myself the time, frustration, money, etc.

In a room that size I would think that even with a sub the Concertinos will have a hard time filling in all the space. Maybe give some consideration to picking up some used floorstanders. Since you like the SF sound maybe the Grand Pianos. A use pair can usually be picked for 2K which might stain the budget but ultimately be more satisfying.

Nothing wrong with starting out with a receiver. Just make sure whichever model you use has "pre-outs" so that an external amp can be added later should you choose. At this level most speakers prefer high current which a receivers amp section rarely provides.

Good luck and have fun.

PeruvianSkies
09-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Hey wchek,

Welcome to the forum. I respect the way you're trying to do it right the first time. I wish I would have done that and saved myself the time, frustration, money, etc.

In a room that size I would think that even with a sub the Concertinos will have a hard time filling in all the space. Maybe give some consideration to picking up some used floorstanders. Since you like the SF sound maybe the Grand Pianos. A use pair can usually be picked for 2K which might stain the budget but ultimately be more satisfying.

Nothing wrong with starting out with a receiver. Just make sure whichever model you use has "pre-outs" so that an external amp can be added later should you choose. At this level most speakers prefer high current which a receivers amp section rarely provides.

Good luck and have fun.

Agreed.

wchek
09-13-2007, 03:28 AM
Hey wchek,

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for your comments, Bobsticks!

I have been trying to search for a used pair of Grand Piano or Concerto but seems people hardly sell their SF :(

I forgot to mention that i'm living in an apartment so i will be playing low/mid volume most of the time. If really floorstanders are needed, is MA RS8 a good choice?

I couldn't find any reviews on Concertino vs RS8 comparison which is kinda expected because how do you compare a sedan with a 4WD? If there is any please let me know! :)

Another question, regardless of the room size, which would produce better stereo music? RS8 or Concertino/VX-10 combination?

basite
09-13-2007, 06:24 AM

I have been trying to search for a used pair of Grand Piano or Concerto but seems people hardly sell their SF :(

I forgot to mention that i'm living in an apartment so i will be playing low/mid volume most of the time. If really floorstanders are needed, is MA RS8 a good choice?

I couldn't find any reviews on Concertino vs RS8 comparison which is kinda expected because how do you compare a sedan with a 4WD? If there is any please let me know! :)

Another question, regardless of the room size, which would produce better stereo music? RS8 or Concertino/VX-10 combination?

the RS series is really good for their price, however, I heard the GS series too (Monitor audio's top line), they really blew away the RS ones though, maybe you should take a look at them too, and the price is reasonable :)

bobsticks
09-13-2007, 09:24 AM

Well, it's not always a matter of overall volume but what will smoothly cover the full range of frequencies. Floortanders generally make integration easier but many still use a sub with them for the last octave (i do). Some of that is going to depend on the styles and variety of music you listen to. Another factor will be your willingness to play around with placement and the crossover factor.

As for "better", blackraven said it all. It's what sounds best to you. Both SF and MA are respected manufacturers but it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges. The SFs will be more forgiving (I've only heard the GPs but I imagine that the same sonic characteristics will be shared throughout the whole line) and "warmer". Hard-core audiophiles will argue that "warmer" means inaccurate and they may be correct. On the the other hand, those of us that prefer to listen to broad catalogues of music...and not listen to gear...don't mind a little warmth.

Keep us informed

Jack in Wilmington
09-13-2007, 12:32 PM

Try Audiogon. They have a pair of Grand Pianos on there for $1850 in walnut. I think I also saw a pair of Concertos

PeruvianSkies
09-13-2007, 11:55 PM
Well, it's not always a matter of overall volume but what will smoothly cover the full range of frequencies. Floortanders generally make integration easier but many still use a sub with them for the last octave (i do). Some of that is going to depend on the styles and variety of music you listen to. Another factor will be your willingness to play around with placement and the crossover factor.

With your MLs, whereabout you have the crossover set?

wchek
09-16-2007, 04:01 AM
Thank you for all your comments!

I have read reviews that says what a bookshelf speaker gives up in bass, it makes up in sound imaging, providing better sound stage. Bigger speaker can get a bit "mushy" in terms of positioning the sound in the field. Smaller speakers also tend to be more neutral in terms of fidelity to the original sound, unlike floorstanding speakers which would color the sound to some degree.

What do you think?

RGA
09-16-2007, 05:21 AM

I have read reviews that says what a bookshelf speaker gives up in bass, it makes up in sound imaging, providing better sound stage. Bigger speaker can get a bit "mushy" in terms of positioning the sound in the field. Smaller speakers also tend to be more neutral in terms of fidelity to the original sound, unlike floorstanding speakers which would color the sound to some degree.

What do you think?

Well I would not always trust reviews since most of them work for magazines that take a LOT of advertising dollars from the makers who want their information to get to the eyes of readers.

Soundstage and imaging is the one thing you cannot determine if it is being done correctly -- a big stage for example may sound better but may be less accurate -- too small to one person may be accurate to another person. You want a system that can differentiate the recordings so that the stage and imaging are recording dependent and not a signature stamped on by the speakers -- and I would argue that many speakers offer up this kind of stage than producing the recording of the imaging and staging.

Bass is critically important to overall sound and adding subwoofers in my experience is a poor way to get it. They are geared for home theater feeling effects and overall boom and not for music - yes there is disagreement on this and that's fine - everyone is entitled to their view. So in general I would far prefer a floorstander over a standmount because I don't want a speaker that compresses early, has generally poor bass, limited dynamics, and still takes up the same floorspace as a floorstander.

The advantage of the typical good two way (and I find that there are few of these) is that it is easier to match two drivers to get an integrated "as one" sound than it is to match three drivers or more. There are 2 way standmounts that will offer the ideal of the two way standmount and still offer prodigious bass depth of big floorstanders, and most of the dynamics of large horns - but they are not inexpensive, not pretty, and not easy to find.

musicman1999
09-16-2007, 06:27 AM

What do you think?

Well I use Jm Labs Cobalt 816s floorstanders in the front and 806s standmounts in the rear.The 806 is basically the top third of the 816 and other than bass extension the two sound
very similar as i used the 806 as mains before getting the 816.

bill

wchek
09-17-2007, 02:28 AM
Well I use Jm Labs Cobalt 816s floorstanders in the front and 806s standmounts in the rear.The 806 is basically the top third of the 816 and other than bass extension the two sound
very similar as i used the 806 as mains before getting the 816.

bill

What is your room size?

accastil
09-17-2007, 08:36 PM
having owned the sonus faber concertino, MA GS10, and the vienna acoustics haydn, i should say that the VA haydns sounds best...but this is just for me. try and audition the vienna acoustics bach or mozart models.

PeruvianSkies
09-17-2007, 08:39 PM
I have recently discovered that my personal preference tends to lean more towards floorstanders for 2-channel music playback and bookshelf for HT purposes.

Fred333
09-18-2007, 07:05 AM
I like the floorstand speakers. i bought some last year form Best Buy and have never regretted the purchase.

wchek
09-18-2007, 08:20 AM
It seems floorstander gain more votes here than bookshelf :)

So what would you guys recommend for a 5.1 system on a $4k budget? 50% music 50% movies.

PeruvianSkies
09-18-2007, 09:23 AM
It seems floorstander gain more votes here than bookshelf :)

So what would you guys recommend for a 5.1 system on a $4k budget? 50% music 50% movies.

Is the 4K just for the speakers or for all that is needed for a 5.1 system...I would recommend doing a hybrid setup in order to accommodate HT and 2-channel needs, in which case yo would want a nice power amp to drive your mains, a receiver for 5.1 mode and a nice balance overall, but I would invest most of that into your mains, then a center, then a sub and finally the surrounds.

bobsticks
09-19-2007, 06:30 PM

With your MLs, whereabout you have the crossover set?

About 65k.

$4k is a difficult figure if that is th ebudget for the entire project if only because it puts one so close to an eschelon on speakers that is a little higher than average. Meaning, once you get done purchasing 5speaks and a sub there is very little left over for proper amplification and source.

If I had 4k and a fondness for Sonus Faber I think I would start off with the Grands and some solid two-channel amplification which could later be used off the pre-outs of a pre/pro or receiver. Just an IMO moment...

musicman1999
09-19-2007, 06:38 PM
What is your room size?

Sorry man,my room is about 12x20.

bill

wchek
09-20-2007, 02:59 AM
$4k is a difficult figure if that is th ebudget for the entire project if only because it puts one so close to an eschelon on speakers that is a little higher than average. Meaning, once you get done purchasing 5speaks and a sub there is very little left over for proper amplification and source.

If I had 4k and a fondness for Sonus Faber I think I would start off with the Grands and some solid two-channel amplification which could later be used off the pre-outs of a pre/pro or receiver. Just an IMO moment...

Thanks for your advise, bobsticks!

A pair of new Grand Piano Domus is already more than $4k which leaves me no budget for other equipments. What about the Concerto? What is the difference between a 2-way and 3-way speaker?

If the difference is only additional bass for a 3-way, maybe I can consider the Concerto since a sub can't be avoided for a 5.1system (my ultimate goal). But back to the question of bookshelf vs floorstander again (i.e. Concertino vs Concerto), the price difference is huge as both are 2-way speakers from the same series, even after included the original stand of the Concertino. Does the floorstander really worth the extra bucks?

pixelthis
09-21-2007, 12:22 AM

A pair of new Grand Piano Domus is already more than $4k which leaves me no budget for other equipments. What about the Concerto? What is the difference between a 2-way and 3-way speaker?

If the difference is only additional bass for a 3-way, maybe I can consider the Concerto since a sub can't be avoided for a 5.1system (my ultimate goal). But back to the question of bookshelf vs floorstander again (i.e. Concertino vs Concerto), the price difference is huge as both are 2-way speakers from the same series, even after included the original stand of the Concertino. Does the floorstander really worth the extra bucks?
Why can't a sub be avoided?
Especially with floorstanders with decent bass.
I have a sub with a blown plate amp, and my fronts carry the weight quite nicely:1:

wchek
09-21-2007, 03:14 AM
Why can't a sub be avoided?
Especially with floorstanders with decent bass.
I have a sub with a blown plate amp, and my fronts carry the weight quite nicely:1:

As far as i know a sub is to cater for the .1 channel in a 5.1 or 7.1 movie recording. Without a sub the .1 sound would be missing, hence an explosion would sound like water splash (i.e. no bass). Correct me if i'm wrong.

For 2-channel music i do agree that a sub is optional for floorstanders but a must for bookshelf speakers.

PeruvianSkies
09-21-2007, 11:01 PM

If it were me, I would get a great set of bookshelves and a really good subwoofer, I think with this combination you will be surprised, especially once you get the crossover to a good point, just how awesome it can be. I realized late in the game that bookshelves (in my situation at least) tend to work better for HT application, i.e. 5.1 setup, whereas floorstanders present themselves better for 2-channel needs. Maybe this is just my preference, but I am using a set of Polk Monitor 40's now for my HT room and they just blew me away with how dynamic they could be for HT use, of course I think they are a really good speaker for $300. You can do much better, especially with your budget.

musicman1999
09-22-2007, 05:33 AM
As far as i know a sub is to cater for the .1 channel in a 5.1 or 7.1 movie recording. Without a sub the .1 sound would be missing, hence an explosion would sound like water splash (i.e. no bass). Correct me if i'm wrong.

For 2-channel music i do agree that a sub is optional for floorstanders but a must for bookshelf speakers.

Some pre/pro's such as my Anthem will allow you to route the bass from the LFE(.1) to the other speakers.

bill

wchek
09-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks for all your inputs!! :)

I am doing renovation in my apartment and the cableguy has already pulled a concealed audio cable to the back concrete wall for rear surround speakers. I think i have little choice now but to go the 5.1 setup then later add good pre/pro and CDP. Otherwise the concealed cable will have its ends dangling on the wall, unless i cover it with a pair of rear wall-mounted surrounds (currently looking at Wharfedale Diamond 9 DFS)

I have just got into a busy season so hardly have time for auditioning more speakers. Hope i can find some answers to the questions below...

1) Has anyone tried the SF Concertino Domus + Velodyne VX-10 + Yamaha RX-V861 combo? Any comments?
2) I heard the Concertino needs high power to drive it to its max performance. Is the RX-V861 capable for the job?
3) Does the Pure Direct function on the Yamaha receiver play only on the mains and not the sub?

Any other inputs are welcome....

musicman1999
09-24-2007, 03:10 PM
I don't think you will find the Yamaha to be very good with music and the Fabers will not really open up to their full extent,but i am sure it will be okay as a stop gap until you can move on.I am not sure about the pure direct but i do not think it would let you use a sub,it would not really be direct if it did.

bill

wchek
09-30-2007, 08:48 AM
I don't think you will find the Yamaha to be very good with music and the Fabers will not really open up to their full extent,but i am sure it will be okay as a stop gap until you can move on.I am not sure about the pure direct but i do not think it would let you use a sub,it would not really be direct if it did.

bill

musicman,
I think you have a point there, it would be a waste to match the Fabers with Yamaha. I am now considering to setup my system stereo first and HT later.

Now that opens up to a string of questions...
- What is the best way to spend $4k for a music system?
- If i stick to SF Concertino, any suggestion for a suitable amp?
- Is a good integrated amp better or separate pre-amp & power amp?
- Since the Concertino is bookshelf, the budget should include a decent sub. Suggestion?
- Whether it's integrated amp or pre/power amp, will there be any problem when i add a receiver later for the HT system?

Has anyone heard ProAc Reference 8?

Appreciate your comments...

musicman1999
09-30-2007, 11:16 AM
I would look at Cambridge Audio 740a intergrated and 740c cd player, or the 840 series if you can swing it.Neither would cause a problem adding a reciever later.Preamp and power would likely be better but would stretch your budget out a bit.For a sub i would look for a sealed box design such as Rel,Focal or B&W,they work better for music.

bill

jim goulding
09-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Hi. I'm tuning in kind of late. Floorstanders only advantage is that they provide more volume for theorectically better bass (some designers prefer using various tuning technologies to accomplish this that can't be done with stand mounted models). However, if you've decided on using a sub you won't need quite as much power to drive the satellites as you will cross them over before they need full power (to produce the lowest frequencies). I may have missed this but are you purchasing for a surround system or just left/right channels with a sub? Another sub you might consider is a $500 HSU Research. I think they may be marketed under another name of late but you can find out. I shouldn't recommend the old cylindrical enclosures but rather the newer small box. The Audio Critic measured and listened to these and reported the lowest distortion figures they ever recorded and were highly positive about their augmentation.

If you are planning on a surround system, l don't know what all in needed for your rear channels as I haven't the faintest. The SF Concerto's have a 6.5" mid/bass driver and deliver decent bass on their own. They, and all SF's use a textile dome (silk, I believe) that deliver very tactile high frequency information so you wouldn't want any high frequency bull**** any place in the chain. Think smooth sounding cables, electronics, and software.

Happy listening!

pixelthis
10-01-2007, 12:52 AM
Some pre/pro's such as my Anthem will allow you to route the bass from the LFE(.1) to the other speakers.

bill

Any receiver will direct .1 sound somewhere else.
Its like the rears, if you only have three fronts, all of the sound gets "steered" to them.
You don't lose anything but the deepest bass your regular speakers can't reproduce,
and theres really not that much of it:1:

topspeed
10-01-2007, 11:34 AM
What is the best way to spend $4k for a music system? There is no "best" way. Some, like Ivor Tiefenbrun of Linn Audio firmly believe the front end is the most important because a speaker is only going to be as good as what is fed to it. Others, like Dave Wilson of Wilson Audio are convinced that speakers are easily the most important, and most discernable, difference in the audio chain. I fall into the latter group and think you should allocate at least 1/2 of your budget to speakers, more if we're talking a full 5.1 rig.

If i stick to SF Concertino, any suggestion for a suitable amp? SF's have a reputation for being pretty easy to drive with few suprises in impedence. What sounds best with them is entirely up to you, but you'll have no shortage of choices if only because you can drive them with just about anything. SF's are so warm and laid back to begin with, it might be wise to avoid amps with a "classic tube sound."

Is a good integrated amp better or separate pre-amp & power amp?Preamp/amp will give you more flexibility and the ability to possibly fine-tune (or screw-up) the sound, but an integrated offers the advantage of the shortest signal path without worrying about possible signal degradation from additional cabling. Which is more important to you?

Since the Concertino is bookshelf, the budget should include a decent sub. Dayton, REL, James, Paradigm Servo, HSU, DefTech SuperCube, and Velodyne Servo's are all respected. Which one depends on your final budget. Some of these suckers can eat up 1/4 - 1/2 of your budget! For your budget, I'm thinking Dayton from partsexpress.com.

Whether it's integrated amp or pre/power amp, will there be any problem when i add a receiver later for the HT system? No. Most integrateds these days have "theater bypass" switching which will allow you to insert the integrated into the HT rig and have it drive the mains for two channel listening. If you eventually see the rig blossoming into a HT, you might be better off just getting a Pre/Pro and simply add channels of amplification as funds become available. You'll never need a receiver (although you'll need a tuner). Start with a killer two channel rig and expand later. That's what most of us did.

Hope this helps.

GMichael
10-01-2007, 11:56 AM
3) Does the Pure Direct function on the Yamaha receiver play only on the mains and not the sub?

Any other inputs are welcome....

Yes. It skips the sub. This is great for 2 channel listening, but only if you have a set of full range speakers to carry the base.
IMO, a good set-up for 50-50, music to HT listening, includes 2 main speakers that can get down to the low 30's to high 20's to carry the base. A good matching center channel for HT. And a couple of bookself speakers for 5.1. 7.1 is nice if you have a large room and you are not sitting right at the back wall.

accastil
10-01-2007, 03:07 PM
It would depend on the ff considerations:
-your type of sound (bass slam would favor for floorstands)
-your type of music (rock, disco would favor for floorstands)
-your room size (if you dont plan to make use of a subwoofer)-( larger than 250sqf might be better of with floorstands.
-your application (ht would normally be better with floorstands)

i am more a bookshelf type of guy since i prefer mids and highs over bass slam, my music is mostly vocals and soft jazz, my room size is 10x18ft, and i am not into HT.

superdougiefreshness
10-02-2007, 02:33 AM
I may not fully understand many things with better ended audio, but I do understand some things.

My recommendation is to get your hands on two great floor-standers and your choice of center channel only. This of course includes what you can afford for a surround processor. Thats it for your speakers and gear until you have the needed funds to add your background/surround speakers and sub. This way you have the adequate bass for movies and the center channel for voice in 2.1 and 2.0 for you two channel music.

This will carry you forward until you have a sub and back speakers, at which time you add your front end amp for front end music. This could very well carry you for some time and many people are quite satisfied with this type of set up and what I mean is 2.1 = three fronts left/right and center only. Especially with good bass producing floor standers.

The center channel is for movies mostly and back speakers are not always needed and are costly at this junction for just the movie experience.....IMHO.......

I have noticed that when watching movies that not as much information is processed by your back/surrounds as you may think...........and no matter what you spend on back speakers the movie sound is several dB's higher than regular tracked music .............add the backs and sub later dude..........when you got the dough.

later :cornut:

wchek
10-02-2007, 09:56 AM

I am getting a bit confused with all the different types of amps mentioned here. I know i should be asking these stupid questions in the Amplifier section but for convenience sake, please allow me to post a copy here.

Can anyone help to explain :
- Is pre/pro = AV receiver = surround processor?
- Is integrated amp = pre-amp + power amp?
- How should these amps be connected from source to speaker? Are there many different configurations?
- What is the best setup (assuming money is no object) for both music & HT sharing the same pair of main speakers?

topspeed
10-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Can anyone help to explain :
- Is pre/pro = AV receiver = surround processor?A Pre/pro is a Preamp/Processor. It's the control center for a separates based rig. You plug all of your sources (cdp, phono, dvd, sat box, whatever) into a preamp and it routes what you want to listen to into the amplifier. The difference between a normal preamp and a pre/pro is that the latter contains decoding and functions for a multichannel based rig. In short, preamps are for 2 channel, pre/pro's for multi-channel (mc) or home theatre (ht).

- Is integrated amp = pre-amp + power amp?An integrated amp is a pre-amp and amplifier in the same chassis. There is no tuner (radio), otherwise it would be called a receiver. An audio/video receiver (avr) is one with processing/decoding and multiple channels of amplification for home theatre.

- How should these amps be connected from source to speaker? Are there many different configurations? Plenty. Sources are connected to the preamp in any number of ways. Usually, RCA's or toslink/digital are used for audio and Component, HDMI, or S-vid is used for video. Naturally, you only would use video inputs on a pre/pro or avr. You would use RCA's if you want the player to do the decoding and digital if you want the pre/pro/avr to do the decoding. It depends on which sounds better to you.

You would use speaker wire to connect the amps to the speakers. Depending on length, 12 or 14 gauge should be adequate.

- What is the best setup (assuming money is no object) for both music & HT sharing the same pair of main speakers? You tell us. There is no best, only what is best to you. If music is your priority, audition as many speakers as you can using well recorded music and find what tickles your fancy. If a speaker can do music well, it can do HT well. However, this doesn't necessarily hold true the other way around.

Hope this helps.

wchek
10-07-2007, 08:47 AM
A Pre/pro is a Preamp/Processor. It's the control center for a separates based rig. You plug all of your sources (cdp, phono, dvd, sat box, whatever) into a preamp and it routes what you want to listen to into the amplifier. The difference between a normal preamp and a pre/pro is that the latter contains decoding and functions for a multichannel based rig. In short, preamps are for 2 channel, pre/pro's for multi-channel (mc) or home theatre (ht).

Does that mean in a bookshelf & sub combo setup for music, i will need a pre/pro since it is no longer 2 channel? If i use preamp in this setup, the sound will only come out from the mains but not the sub? If i were to use a preamp for 2 channel music, a pair of floorstander mains is needed.

What type of setup is best (and cost effective) for both music and HT sharing the same speakers (bookshelf/sub combo)?
1) pre/pro only
2) pre/pro + power amp
3) pre/pro + integrated amp
4) receiver
5) receiver + power amp
6) pre/pro + preamp + power amp
7) other recommendations?

Which brand would you guys recommend? I'm thinking Rotel pre/pro, Yamaha receiver, Exposure power amp. Any comments?

musicman1999
10-07-2007, 10:56 AM
For sound quality, number 2 is the pick,but may not be the most cost effective.A pre/pro and power amp do what a reciever does, only better.Have you decided for sure on two speakers only to start? If so go with the Rotel and the Exposure amp, no need for the Yamaha.I assume that the Exposure is a 2 channel amp, if so when you add more speakers you just add more channels of amplification.The Rotel will supply good stereo sound and all your HT needs when you are ready for that.Add a good disc player or two and your good to go.

bill

wchek
10-08-2007, 12:18 AM
For sound quality, number 2 is the pick,but may not be the most cost effective.A pre/pro and power amp do what a reciever does, only better.Have you decided for sure on two speakers only to start? If so go with the Rotel and the Exposure amp, no need for the Yamaha.I assume that the Exposure is a 2 channel amp, if so when you add more speakers you just add more channels of amplification.The Rotel will supply good stereo sound and all your HT needs when you are ready for that.Add a good disc player or two and your good to go.

bill

I am considering the bookshelf + sub for speaker for a start. Do i need another power amp for the sub? How about a multi-channel power amp?

How about Cambridge Audio pre/pro and power amp?

musicman1999
10-08-2007, 09:16 AM
No the sub has it's own amp built in.Buying a multi channel amp will mean you would not have to buy more amps later, but it depends on how you want to spend the money.A $2,000 stereo amp will sound better than a $2,000 5 channel amp. Cambridge has a 2 channel pre amp on the way along with a 2 channel amp. No pre-pro or multi channel amp is in the works yet but it would not suprise me to see it down the road.

bill

topspeed
10-08-2007, 10:25 AM
A sat/sub set-up is still 2 channel. Sat/sub's are simply a different way to do speakers with the sat's handling the midband and high's and the sub handling the bass. The theory behind this is simple: Due to room interaction (especially the bass), the room location for rock solid "imaging" is rarely the ideal location for the best bass. By using a sat/sub, you can place each where they sound best. However, they are still playing stereo (2 channel) as the two sats and sub are all receiving the same signal with a crossover determining where the high and lows go.

Most subs are "active," meaning they have built-in amplifiers. You would simply run a rca (line level) plug or speaker wires (speaker level) from the pre-pro to the sub and that's it. If you run line level, the crossover will be done at the pre/pro. Speaker level will mean you use the sub's on-board crossover. What's the correct crossover point? It's more art than science, but I generally recommend finding out what your sat's minimum frequency response is and then start 10-20hz higher and adjust it until there isn't any overlap between the sats and sub. For example, say your speakers are rated 60hz-22khz (-6dB's), I'd set the x-over to 70hz or 80hz and tune downward from there. Again, this isn't written in stone. Just remember a properly calibrated sub shouldn't draw attention to itself. The music should be continuous with the bass seemingly coming from the mains.

As for recommendations, the usual suspects for "bang-for-the-buck" are Rotel, Adcom, and Parasound Halo. If you look to the used market, the options increase considerably. Amps are great "used" purchases as they have no moving parts to wear out (save valve amps) and many have transferrable warranties.

Hope this helps.

wchek
10-17-2007, 12:57 AM
Thank you all for your inputs. After some research, i think my budget only allows me a "bookshelf + sub + pre/power amp + cd player" for phase 1 and "receiver + center + surround + dvd player" for phase 2, where phase 1 might be $4000 and phase 2 $2500.

For phase 1, i am thinking of the SF Concertino or ProAc Tablette Reference 8 to match with Rotel 06 series (RCD06 cd player, RC06 pre, RB06 power amp). Unfortunately the SF dealer don't have Rotel in store, so no audition. Which do you guys think is a better choice? SF or ProAc?

As for sub i am thinking REL Quake or Velodyne VX10 to go with either SF or ProAc. REL and ProAc are available in the same shop, similarly for Velodyne and SF, so i think they maybe paired this way, if i know which speaker better matches the Rotel.

I understand that both SF and ProAc are reputable speaker makers, and so is Rotel for amps. Question is, will the Rotel 06 series be sufficient to drive the SF or ProAc to their max performance?

Appreciate your feedback... :)

fresco
12-06-2007, 08:27 PM
wcheck, Sonus faber speakers are amazing. It has the best hi-end loudspeakers designs. I even notice many other hi-end brands are copying its lute shape design and its adjustable spikes.

The new Domus grand piano is beautifull especially the piano black color but quite expensive. IMHO, I suggest you to get the Totem arro or model 1 signature + a sub. These are also very good speakers. They have a sweet and detailed sound just like the sonus faber. And the only cost $700 and $1000 used I think.

audio amateur
12-08-2007, 07:39 AM
Hi there wcheck,
If you en up getting some biggies like MA's RS8 or GS60, I would forget about a sub for the time being. And about the pure direct thing, you can always parallel wire the sub(s) on to the main speakers posts.
I also believe if you set your mains to 'large' & your sub to 'off', then all the '.1' bass will be delivered to your mains.
cheers

jrhymeammo
12-08-2007, 10:40 AM
wcheck, Sonus faber speakers are amazing. It has the best hi-end loudspeakers designs. I even notice many other hi-end brands are copying its lute shape design and its adjustable spikes.

The new Domus grand piano is beautifull especially the piano black color but quite expensive. IMHO, I suggest you to get the Totem arro or model 1 signature + a sub. These are also very good speakers. They have a sweet and detailed sound just like the sonus faber. And the only cost $700 and $1000 used I think.

I think Domus are the worth sounding speakers ever made for $1000+, but Cremona has one of the sweetest sound to my ears...

Have fun auditioning numerous speakers. Find out what you like, but be sure to recognize associated room and gears.

JRA

sgt bass08
12-09-2007, 04:50 AM
hi there if u looking for speakers i always go for both i think floorstands speakers are a lot more powerful in the bass and midrange due to having extra space in the cabints wich mean more bass response and then for ur treble and surround feilds i wud use bookshelfs they r small and give gd midrange and trebles plus u can get nice stands for them or hook them on the wall Velodyne not my cup of tea i like m&K subwoofers they always keep the bass nice and smooth 4 a amp then Yamaha they r like a tank natural sound is what they say and thats what u get

Luvin Da Blues
12-09-2007, 06:09 AM
hi there if u looking for speakers i always go for both i think floorstands speakers are a lot more powerful in the bass and midrange due to having extra space in the cabints wich mean more bass response and then for ur treble and surround feilds i wud use bookshelfs they r small and give gd midrange and trebles plus u can get nice stands for them or hook them on the wall Velodyne not my cup of tea i like m&K subwoofers they always keep the bass nice and smooth 4 a amp then Yamaha they r like a tank natural sound is what they say and thats what u get

Welcome aboard Sarg,

I know this isn't an English class but a few well placed periods or commas would make your posts a little easier to read. Cheers

sgt bass08
12-09-2007, 06:24 AM
Welcome aboard Sarg,

I know this is no English class but a few well placed periods or commas would make your posts a little easier to read. Cheers

hi i feel like ive been picked on :17: i dont think i need periods and commas its easy enough for peeps to read and understand me u need to look back at the other peeps they r just as bad but i dont wont to fall out with u so ill try to add commas etc as i never whent skool :)

Luvin Da Blues
12-09-2007, 06:30 AM
hi i feel like ive been picked on :17: i dont think i need periods and commas its easy enough for peeps to read and understand me u need to look back at the other peeps they r just as bad but i dont wont to fall out with u so ill try to add commas etc as i never whent skool :)

Not picking on you at all. You post as you see fit. It was just an observation, that's all.

Cheers

LDB

Rich-n-Texas
12-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Are you posting from your cell phone? :nono:

sgt bass08
12-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Are you posting from your cell phone? :nono:

man y r u guys giving me a hard time for :incazzato: y would i be using a cell phone ???

audio amateur
12-09-2007, 12:49 PM
sgt bass how old are you?

sgt bass08
12-10-2007, 10:57 AM
sgt bass how old are you?

how long is a peace of string :idea:

audio amateur
12-10-2007, 11:18 AM
you mean a piece?

tomo_ae2
01-02-2008, 03:45 AM