A receiver that produces component video out reguardless of input? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A receiver that produces component video out reguardless of input?

lock
02-25-2004, 04:18 PM
Is there a receiver that will produce component video output reguardless of the input(say s-video from my directv box)?

Thanks

Tennabrae
02-25-2004, 06:11 PM
The Denon 3803 higher all up-convert video signals to componet.
Also, I believe that Yamaha rx-v540 and higher do it as well.

dink
02-25-2004, 07:41 PM
So does the Integra line of AV Receivers (6.4 and Higher I think)

nightflier
02-26-2004, 09:19 AM
What you're looking for is called Component Video Up-Conversion. Most manufacturers like Denon and Yamaha offer it on their higher-end models. What you want to remember however, is that the signal will still have the quality of the lower source. For example you will not see your VHS videos in progressive scan.

It is of course handy to have this feature when setting up the receiver with the on-screen display. It always drove me nuts on my old receiver to have to switch to a different source just to adjust the speakers.

Most online retailers now list Video Up-Conversion on the receiver's webpage of features, and most sales reps know what you are asking. If they don't, you're talking to the wrong sales rep.

dapercy
02-26-2004, 03:29 PM
The Denon 3803 higher all up-convert video signals to componet.
Also, I believe that Yamaha rx-v540 and higher do it as well.

I'm looking to buy a receiver that upconverts, so I reviewed Yamaha's site and there is no mention of any of their RX-V receivers upconverting with the exception of the RX-V1400 and 2400 which are the two newes models. Can anyone verify if the 540 does upconvert?

Also are there any receivers for under 700/800 dollars that have 3 component inputs? I have HD Cable, Progressive Scan DVD, and Progressive scan connection for XBOX. 3 inputs and only 2 ports.

topspeed
02-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Dunno about Yammie's video upconversion (although I'd bet it's the same as everyone else) but Denon's definitely does NOTconvert your s-video, rca, composite, or whatever up to component. The quality of the signal will be still be whatever you used to plug it into the receiver regardless of using component out. This is straight from Denon.

nightflier
02-27-2004, 01:06 PM
...Progressive scan connection for XBOX.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you use your x-box for watching DVD's, you will not get a progressive scan signal out of it. Since you have a dvd player, that's probably not what you will be doing. Hence the s-video hookup should be fine for games. I don't have an x-box, but that is what it looked like when I hooked up my friend's x-box, but maybe we were only playing older games.

That said, the surround sound & bass is the real reason to connect through your receiver.

aimen
02-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Yammy 1400 does video up conversion
download its broucher from yammy site for verification, here a cutting from it btw

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
High Picture Quality
• Up Video Conversion to Component Video (S-Video and Composite
Video)
• Up Video Conversion to S-Video (Composite Video)
• Down Video Conversion to Composite Video (S-Video)
• HDTV (720p/1080i) Compatibility
• Wide-Range Video Bandwidth (60MHz -3 dB)
• 2 Component Video Input Terminals (fixed and assignable) and 1
Monitor Output Terminal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dunno abt rxv740, not written in its broucher

rxv1400 is under 7/800$ i guess

regards

woodman
02-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Is there a receiver that will produce component video output reguardless of the input(say s-video from my directv box)?

Thanks

As far as I know, there are only a very few receivers that do what you're asking for - contrary to what others have posted here. They are the new Yamaha models - RX-V1400 and 2400 and a top of the line Pioneer Elite model. There are more to come because whenever a mfg. comes up with a new feature that grabs everyone's attention, the competition soon follows suit. There is a new Denon coming out soon that will also do the "up-conversion" (which is a misnomer by the way). There have been numerous receivers in the past which "up-converted" composite video to S-video, which is what the others posting here mistakenly offered for you.

If you're looking for a new receiver at this point, the Yammie 1400 represents the best value you could possibly ask for. It's selling for about $700 while it's brother the 2400 costs a few hundred more. The Pioneer costs several times as much, and the new Denon model (3805) will be priced at $1300.

Hope this helps you

dapercy
02-29-2004, 06:22 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you use your x-box for watching DVD's, you will not get a progressive scan signal out of it. Since you have a dvd player, that's probably not what you will be doing. Hence the s-video hookup should be fine for games. I don't have an x-box, but that is what it looked like when I hooked up my friend's x-box, but maybe we were only playing older games.

That said, the surround sound & bass is the real reason to connect through your receiver.

XBOX is 1080i capable. Don't know if they've made any games for that yet, but I definitely have 480p games on gamecube.

AVMASTER
03-02-2004, 05:23 AM
No, some receivers will let you connect anything and output component video but the quality will only be as good as what you've put in.
you need a separate video processor or scan converter