10 Movies Worth Revisiting Part Deux... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 10 Movies Worth Revisiting Part Deux...

PeruvianSkies
09-09-2007, 11:57 PM
As a follow-up to this thread, here is another 10 random movies worth revisiting...

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=21069&highlight=wolfen

MY FIRST MISTER (2001) Highly overlooked film from Christine Lahti starring Albert Brooks and Leelee Sobieski that involves a bizarre relationship that forms between the two of them as they are on opposite ends of the spectrum, he is a uptight mens clothing store manager and she is a 17-year old gothic chick with some serious identity issues, together they form a friendship and learn to deal with each others differences. Has some great surprises too!

THE RED VIOLIN (1998) Dir. by Francois Gerrad and insanely overlooked this film stars Samuel Jackson and Greta Scacchi. The film traces the history and lives that were in some way, shape, or form touched by one particular violin and it's shape on history.

REDS (1981) Warren Beatty, Diane Keaton, M Emmet Walsh, Jack Nicholson, Paul Sorvino star in this dramatically charged epic directed by Beatty himself. Journalism, Revolution, Love...they sorta go together, reminds me in some respects of THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING, another great film.

MIRACLE MILE (1988) Dir. by Steve De Jarnett this little nuclear holocaust, post-apocalyptic gem deserves to be discovered! Starring Anthony Edwards and Mare Winningham this a movie that would definitely be enjoyed by fans of the show 24.

THE WORLD AT WAR (1974 MiniSeries) Considered by many to be the premiere documentary to encapsulate the second world war and is also now on DVD and can be found on Netflix...this is one mini-series you DON'T want to miss. It will grab you from the initial moment to the last. Just breathtaking, surreal, poignant, and devastating.

DEATH AND THE MAIDEN (1994) Dir. by Roman Polanski and starring Sigourney Weaver and Ben Kingsley this film flew under many radars and continues to be lost, so to speak. Brilliant performances and stunningly tight narrative that involves politics, torture, and fascists regimes...what else can you ask for?

ROSENCRANTZ AND GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD (1990) Dir. by Todd Stoppard this film has yet to find it's audience, despite starring Tim Roth, Gary Oldman, and Richard Dreyfuss, and yes the film centers around the two characters from the masterwork HAMLET by Shakespeare.

SECONDS (1966) Dir. by John Frankenheimer and starring Rock Hudson this superb Sci-Fi thriller is way ahead of it's time and is still as eerie and creepy today. This film takes a look at what life would be like if you were unhappy with who you are and could just create a new identity for yourself ...all you need to do is change your face.... let's just say that 'seconds' doesn't refer to a unit of time in this film. The opening credit sequence by Saul Bass is in and of itself a masterpiece as well.

DANGEROUS LIVES OF ALTAR BOYS (2002) Dir. by Peter Care and starring Jodie Foster, Kieran Culkin, Vincent D'Onofrio, Jena Malone, and Emile Hirsch. A very funny and creative coming-of-age film that uses some great comic-book character imagery as well. Great young cast and excellent storyline!

THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY (1980) Dir. my John Mackenzie starring Bob Hoskins, Helen Mirren, and Pierce Brosnan even has a small role. A really taught and cool gangster-esque film that really utilizes Hoskins at his best. Also, a very 'explosive' film and has one of the best scenes on film with a broken bottle.

musicman1999
09-10-2007, 09:13 AM
I strongly agree on The Red Violin, it was one of the best Canadian films of the year.It is a great film that works on every level.Highly recomended.

bill

nightflier
09-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Well, I suppose I have a few movies I recently dusted off. I know most of my selctions are recent, but these are all movies I can watch multiple times:

1. LOTR - The scope, the manpower, the vision, and the time it took to make these films was nothing short of amazing. I'm a big fan of the books, and I can critique the finer details of the storyline with the best of 'em, but Peter Jackson did a phenomenal job and in so doing introduced a whole new generation to the Tolkien world. Some of the monsters like the Trolls, the Balrog and Shelob were spot-on. Harry Potter Who?

2. Pulp Fiction - I know, I know, not exactly family fare, but this has got to be Tarentino's best work. With so many well known actors, every scene has something you didn't always catch the first time. The reflection on the TV when Fabienne is watching that war movie and wakes Butch up in the hotel - priceless. And Christopher Walken, though he only had a small part, was perfect for his part.

3. Syriana - Again, not for the faint of heart, but every time I see it, I wonder about how real the events in the movie could be. Maybe the storyline was too complex for the average American moviegoer, but who would suggest that the quagmire of the middle east is simple to comprehend?

4. Spy Game - Robert Redford is top notch and Brad Pitt is also excellent. Some of my favorite lines: "If I'm gona walk into a ****-storm, I gota know which way the wind is blowing" and "So are we gona stand here all night with your hand on my ass, or are you gona make your move?"

5. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - This is basically Pulp Fiction, British-style. It doesn't have the intricacies of a Tarentino classic, but it is definitely non-stop suspense. And it manages to keep Statham from doing the Kung-Fu super-here drivel he is now known for.

6. The Outlaw Josey Wales - I know I could list lots of other Clint movies including the Good, Bad & Ugly, but if I had to pick one Spaghetti Western to watch over & over, this would be the one. I don't know exactly why, I guess it just has that Southern rebel outlaw storyline that just seems more honorable than the Cold Mountain tear fests we've had to sit through recently.

7. Se7ven - This has got to be one of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen. Sure there's Hostel and a host of other gore-fests, but this one ratchets up the tension with some incredible acting (Freeman, Pitt), and a storyline by writer Andrew Walker that is incredible. The way John Doe (Spacey) ties up the story and completes his quest is stunning.

8. The Name of the Rose - Religious conspiracy to rival the DaVinci Code? Sean Connery? Medieval castles & swordfighting? Backdrop of the Inquisition? Murder mystery? Historical storyline? Coming-of-age sub-plot? This is a great movie has it all, albeit gruesome at times, but certainly fascinating.

9. Godfather I & II - (don't care too much for III, but the first two are classics). These two I could watch over & over again. If there is anyone out there who still hasn't seen these, then they are missing perhaps the greatest trilogy in American film.

10. (And just so I don't sound like I watch all action films) - Office Space - This is certainly one of the best critiques of the dot-com life I've ever seen; and it's hilarious. Michael Bolton (Herman) rolling up his window and turning down his Hip-Hop tunes at the beginning of the movie is classic comedy. Peter (Livingston) is a classic comedic actor, perfect for the part of a burned out programmer with a cheating girlfriend. Slydel (McGinley) as the efficiency expert could not have been a more perfect fit. "Has anyone ever asked you if you have a case of the Mondays? Naw man..., no way, you'd get you a$$ kicked for saying something like that."

I was going to put Fight Club on the list, but I didn't want people to think I was obsessed with Brad Pitt, although he does know how to act.

PeruvianSkies
09-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Well, I suppose I have a few movies I recently dusted off. I know most of my selctions are recent, but these are all movies I can watch multiple times:

1. LOTR - The scope, the manpower, the vision, and the time it took to make these films was nothing short of amazing. I'm a big fan of the books, and I can critique the finer details of the storyline with the best of 'em, but Peter Jackson did a phenomenal job and in so doing introduced a whole new generation to the Tolkien world. Some of the monsters like the Trolls, the Balrog and Shelob were spot-on. Harry Potter Who?

2. Pulp Fiction - I know, I know, not exactly family fare, but this has got to be Tarentino's best work. With so many well known actors, every scene has something you didn't always catch the first time. The reflection on the TV when Fabienne is watching that war movie and wakes Butch up in the hotel - priceless. And Christopher Walken, though he only had a small part, was perfect for his part.

3. Syriana - Again, not for the faint of heart, but every time I see it, I wonder about how real the events in the movie could be. Maybe the storyline was too complex for the average American moviegoer, but who would suggest that the quagmire of the middle east is simple to comprehend?

4. Spy Game - Robert Redford is top notch and Brad Pitt is also excellent. Some of my favorite lines: "If I'm gona walk into a ****-storm, I gota know which way the wind is blowing" and "So are we gona stand here all night with your hand on my ass, or are you gona make your move?"

5. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - This is basically Pulp Fiction, British-style. It doesn't have the intricacies of a Tarentino classic, but it is definitely non-stop suspense. And it manages to keep Statham from doing the Kung-Fu super-here drivel he is now known for.

6. The Outlaw Josey Wales - I know I could list lots of other Clint movies including the Good, Bad & Ugly, but if I had to pick one Spaghetti Western to watch over & over, this would be the one. I don't know exactly why, I guess it just has that Southern rebel outlaw storyline that just seems more honorable than the Cold Mountain tear fests we've had to sit through recently.

7. Se7ven - This has got to be one of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen. Sure there's Hostel and a host of other gore-fests, but this one ratchets up the tension with some incredible acting (Freeman, Pitt), and a storyline by writer Andrew Walker that is incredible. The way John Doe (Spacey) ties up the story and completes his quest is stunning.

8. The Name of the Rose - Religious conspiracy to rival the DaVinci Code? Sean Connery? Medieval castles & swordfighting? Backdrop of the Inquisition? Murder mystery? Historical storyline? Coming-of-age sub-plot? This is a great movie has it all, albeit gruesome at times, but certainly fascinating.

9. Godfather I & II - (don't care too much for III, but the first two are classics). These two I could watch over & over again. If there is anyone out there who still hasn't seen these, then they are missing perhaps the greatest trilogy in American film.

10. (And just so I don't sound like I watch all action films) - Office Space - This is certainly one of the best critiques of the dot-com life I've ever seen; and it's hilarious. Michael Bolton (Herman) rolling up his window and turning down his Hip-Hop tunes at the beginning of the movie is classic comedy. Peter (Livingston) is a classic comedic actor, perfect for the part of a burned out programmer with a cheating girlfriend. Slydel (McGinley) as the efficiency expert could not have been a more perfect fit. "Has anyone ever asked you if you have a case of the Mondays? Naw man..., no way, you'd get you a$$ kicked for saying something like that."

I was going to put Fight Club on the list, but I didn't want people to think I was obsessed with Brad Pitt, although he does know how to act.

Some good choices, I was trying to think of movies that were more obscure, but realize that I did not include that word in this post, only in my last movie list.

musicman1999
09-10-2007, 07:44 PM

Great list,i loved Office Space,very funny film.

bill

jim goulding
09-11-2007, 08:02 AM
to which I would like to second Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking barrels and add another lil ensemble type picture I just saw on cable, Drowning Mona. And if you dudes haven't seen two lil tongue in cheek kinda of gangster flicks, Montana or Thick as Thieves , more or less of the ensemble kind of species which I am partial to, you definitely should.

PeruvianSkies
09-11-2007, 09:56 PM
to which I would like to second Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking barrels and add another lil ensemble type picture I just saw on cable, Drowning Mona. And if you dudes haven't seen two lil tongue in cheek kinda of gangster flicks, Montana or Thick as Thieves , more or less of the ensemble kind of species which I am partial to, you definitely should.

Good recs.

PeruvianSkies
09-12-2007, 12:04 AM
THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY
http://www.mindjack.com/film/images/LongGoodFriday400.jpg

DANGEROUS LIVES OF ALTAR BOYS
http://www.impawards.com/2002/posters/dangerous_lives_of_altar_boys_ver1.jpg

SECONDS Look familiar? Kinda like REQUIEM FOR A DREAM
http://www.reelfilm.com/images/seconds.jpg

ROSENCRANTZ AND GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD
http://www.creativescreenwriting.com/csdaily/csdart/images/2005-03-Mar/Rosencrantz%20-%20the%20boys%20(350w).jpg

THE WORLD AT WAR
http://varifrank.com/images/world_at_war.jpg

DEATH AND THE MAIDEN
http://minadream.com/romanpolanski/DeathAndTheMaiden/pic2.jpg

REDS
http://www.reel.com/Content/Reelimages/hollconf2002/0501_reds.jpg

THE RED VIOLIN
http://www.mondo-digital.com/redviolin2.gif

MY FIRST MISTER
http://www.reelingreviews.com/myfirstmisterpic.jpg

Troy
09-12-2007, 10:08 AM
I like Lee Lee Sobieski, but that movie was pretty dang maudlin.

Miracle Mile too, what a DRAG!

Red Violin is excellent.

Here's 10 more:

Out of Sight
3 Kings
Jackie Brown
Roger and Me
Trainspotting
The Last Detail
The Thin Man
Boogie Nights
Lone Star
Dark Passage

Rich-n-Texas
09-12-2007, 12:04 PM
I think all males on this forum should re-visit The Big Lebowski at least once a year as a way to keep in touch with your masculine side. Especially men who eat a lot of chicken (contains female hormones which can cause female tendancies to develop).

nightflier
09-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Hey Peru, you have a thing for torture & execution scenes?

Troy
09-12-2007, 12:58 PM
I think all males on this forum should re-visit The Big Lebowski at least once a year as a way to keep in touch with your masculine side. Especially men who eat a lot of chicken (contains female hormones which can cause female tendancies to develop).

The dude abides.

PeruvianSkies
09-12-2007, 01:13 PM

I pretty much revisit this film about as often as I do FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, which is about once every 3-4 months out of the year. There are very few films that I can revisit with great frequency, like 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY never gets old to me, it's fresh every time I see it, but I would watch LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, despite how great of a film it is more than a few times every few years. Usually when I see it there has to be something event-like going on, like a new restoration or if it's showing in 70mm.

Rich-n-Texas
09-12-2007, 03:00 PM
I didn't catch it all, but there was a local news report that included the scene where Walter tries to dump Donny's ashes in the ocean but instead they end up all over The Dude's glasses and beard. Funny as sh!t!

"Shut the F*ck up Donny!"

PeruvianSkies
09-12-2007, 08:51 PM
I didn't catch it all, but there was a local news report that included the scene where Walter tries to dump Donny's ashes in the ocean but instead they end up all over The Dude's glasses and beard. Funny as sh!t!

"Shut the F*ck up Donny!"

I often find myself quoting the film ...."yeah, well that's just like your ...opinion man."

Troy
09-13-2007, 08:12 AM
. . . if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

jim goulding
09-13-2007, 06:43 PM
I really like "The Long Good Friday", too. "Death of the Maiden", also, but not as much.. Sigorney Weaver is one of those actresses that has something special going on. Some kind of resolve or something. Her "Ripley" really made the Alien movies work as well as they did. The first one was Ridley Scott (I know you already know that) and along with Blade Runner showed he had great imagination although after those he pretty much became just another director for hire in my opinion.

PeruvianSkies
09-16-2007, 10:03 PM
I really like "The Long Good Friday", too. "Death of the Maiden", also, but not as much.. Sigorney Weaver is one of those actresses that has something special going on. Some kind of resolve or something. Her "Ripley" really made the Alien movies work as well as they did. The first one was Ridley Scott (I know you already know that) and along with Blade Runner showed he had great imagination although after those he pretty much became just another director for hire in my opinion.

One thing that I always appreciated about Weaver was her commitment to her role in the Alien series, until the last film ALIEN VS. PREDATOR, but I can completely understand why she would turn that film down!

SlumpBuster
09-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Hope this thread hasn't petered out too much for me to add my suggestions. Two old, two new.

HIGH NOON: The perrenial favorite of of US Presidents (http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/8-5-2003-43853.asp), I even remember reading once that each President since Eisenhower has left a copy for the incoming successor President to view, regardless of party affiliation. This is a truely timeless movie that always seems to be relevant no matter what era your living in. Plus, it was the Oscar winning roll that breathed new life into the carreer of Gary Cooper a/k/a Sgt. York (another movie everyone should see).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/54/High_Noon_poster.jpg

THREE O'CLOCK HIGH: High Noon at High School. It is a movie that Speilberg reportedly had his name removed from as a producer, but I always liked this movie ever since the first time I saw it on cable in Jr. High. Where schlock like Ferris Bueller trafficked in impossible high school "culture of cool" Three O'Clock High had a ring of truth and vulnerablity in its characters. No beret wearing douchebags driving daddy's Ferrari.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/Three_o_clock_high_p.jpg

On to the Horror. I just watched DEVIL'S REJECTS for the first time, while I have yet to see HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES (although Netflix says its in my mailbox today). I know I'm watching them out of order. I initially avoided these movies because they were directed by Rob Zombie. That was a mistake on my part. While Rejects had its problems and could be improved, there is no question that Zombie is formidable director. It will be fun to watch what he does over time. Apparently, his movies are successful enough to keep them going. Also, Sid Haig needs to be in way, way more movies. I saw an interview with him on TV about these movies and it was the sole reason I threw them in my queue. He's terrific.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7d/House_of_1000_Corpses_poster.JPG/398px-House_of_1000_Corpses_poster.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d6/Devils_rejects_ver2.jpg/394px-Devils_rejects_ver2.jpg

PeruvianSkies
09-19-2007, 06:37 PM
I don't think enough drugs in the world could prepare me to even begin thinking about watching two Rob Zombie disasterpieces.

SlumpBuster
09-21-2007, 12:27 PM
I don't think enough drugs in the world could prepare me to even begin thinking about watching two Rob Zombie disasterpieces.

I'll just take that to mean that Zombie is such a kick azz director that you're too square to appreciate his delicious stew. :D j/k. Actually that is the thought that kept me from seeing them before. But right from the opening credits I was like "Oh, duh, it's grindhouse. But good grindhouse."

But seriously, rather than bag on a couple of movies you haven't seen, what movies in the same genre would you suggest are worth revisiting? Or is the genre not your cup o' tea?

BTW, what does "revisiting" mean? Movies that we've seen and should see again? Or movies that we missed the first time around and should seek out? Or maybe a sleeper kind of movie? Or something else? I took it to mean a combo of all three along with older movies that predate us 20 and 30somethings.

Because I got another one if Zombie is too kick azz for you (this would be in the sleeper category):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6d/Jeepers_Creepers_film.jpg/405px-Jeepers_Creepers_film.jpg

PeruvianSkies
09-21-2007, 08:15 PM
I'll just take that to mean that Zombie is such a kick azz director that you're too square to appreciate his delicious stew. :D j/k. Actually that is the thought that kept me from seeing them before. But right from the opening credits I was like "Oh, duh, it's grindhouse. But good grindhouse."

But seriously, rather than bag on a couple of movies you haven't seen, what movies in the same genre would you suggest are worth revisiting? Or is the genre not your cup o' tea?

BTW, what does "revisiting" mean? Movies that we've seen and should see again? Or movies that we missed the first time around and should seek out? Or maybe a sleeper kind of movie? Or something else? I took it to mean a combo of all three along with older movies that predate us 20 and 30somethings.

Because I got another one if Zombie is too kick azz for you (this would be in the sleeper category):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6d/Jeepers_Creepers_film.jpg/405px-Jeepers_Creepers_film.jpg

When I think of movies that are worth revisiting I am more-or-less referring to movies that over time have become either more important, more interesting, or for some reason or another are worth rediscovering. A good example might be Michael Cimino's HEAVEN'S GATE, which is a spectacular film that was absolutely panned when it was released as people expected it to do great things like Cimino's prior film THE DEER HUNTER, and the huge budget on this film also caused for huge expectations. If you take the film out of that 1980's context and watch it today with a fresh perspective and just see the film for what it is, you'll see the masterpiece hidden below.

In the Horror-genre....

Well, I personally enjoyed the following films:

WOLFEN
HALLOWEEN
PSYCHO
THE EXORCIST
SPECIES
ROSEMARY'S BABY
THE TENANT
FIEND WITHOUT A FACE
THE SHINING
THE OMEN