I hit the record show today [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I hit the record show today

Mr Peabody
09-09-2007, 08:10 PM
I walked out with about 25 albums on vinyl and not a single CD. Not much CD there or they left before we could get to them. We started at a $2.00 table, then a guy said everything at my table is $1.00 and another table was a quarter.

Here's what I can recall off the top of my head.

I bought a Lee Michaels which didn't have any recognizeable songs but the songs were long, one is 13 minutes, so the album intreged me. My instinct was correct, it is a great album. I'd say Boogie Rock similar to maybe Savoy Brown without as much organ.
I picked up a Thunderclap Newman thinking the one song I knew might be on it but it wasn't.
Grace Slick, Welcome to the Wrecking Ball
A couple Phil Collins
Yes, Going For The One
About 4 Crusaders albums
A Count Basie, in stereo
Pure Prairie League, the one with Amy
Manfred Mann, the one with Blinded by the Light
Steppin Wolf, For Ladies Only. The copy I had is trashed
Robin Trower, Bridge of Sighs. For a $1.00, I hope it sounds better than the CD copy I have
Kansas, Point of No Return. My least favorite Kansas song so I haven't had it in my collection until now.
Brand X, without Phil Collins. I hope it's good.
Jean Luc Ponte, Forgot the title
Elton John, Yellow Brick Road
Jefferson Starship, Freedom At Point Zero
Bob Seger, Like A Rock
Emmie Lou Harris, ?
Santana, Shango

As you can see a big part of these are main stream that I just have never bothered to pick up or I found a better copy. The price was definitely right. And, some I have heard but willing to take a chance.

bobsticks
09-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Congrats, Mr.P. Nice haul.

basite
09-10-2007, 08:21 AM
nice haul, if only we had such record stores here :(

every record store here only sells new stuff, second hand stuff (or back stock) is hard to find...

nobody
09-10-2007, 04:46 PM
I usually try to make those shows, I"m assuming the one a the Czech Hall. I've missed the last couple though. Was out of town this weekend and had to miss again. I always find a decent stack of stuff cheap when I go there. Glad to hear, I'm not the only one who enjoys those...although I think that much is obvious as they seem to keep getting more and more crowded.

Finch Platte
09-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Brand X, without Phil Collins. I hope it's good.

Fock yeah, it's good. I can tell you that without even knowing which one it is.

So, which one is it? :cornut:

And if you need more Brand X, I've got most of 'em.

fp

Mr Peabody
09-10-2007, 05:26 PM
The next show is 11/4. It was pretty crowded when we got there around noon but thinned out quick. What's bad the venders start to pack up before closing time. It takes time to go through all those records. It's that thought, that the one you skip may be, the one!

Bassite, I'd say come join us but you could probably buy a lot of vinyl for the price of a plane ticket to the middle of the U.S.

FP, I'll try to find the title in time.

JDaniel
09-10-2007, 05:32 PM
I did the same thing here in Birmingham recently. A buddy of mine came over from Atlanta as a dealer, so I got to hang out with him and record shop. I filled in some nice holes in my collection, and added a ton of Laserdiscs too.

LPs:

Van Morrison
-Tupelo Honey (71)
-Moon Dance (70)
-Astral Weeks
-A Period of Transition (77)
-Wavelength (78)

Poco
-Live (76)
-From the Inside (71)
-Head over Heels (75)
-Indian Summer (77)
-Under the Gun (80)
-Ghost Town (82)
-Blue & Gray (81)
-Seven

Marshall Tucker
-Where we all Belong (74)
-Long Hard Ride (76)
-Running Like the Wind (79)
-Dedicated (81)

Charlie Daniels
-Volunteer Jam VII (which I was in attendance at in 1981)
-Honey in the Rock (73)
-Fire on the Mtn (74)
-Saddle Tramp (76)
-Full Moon (80)

Delbert McClinton
-Plain from the Heart (81)
-Love Rustler(77)

Jimmy Buffett
-Volcano (80)
-Coconut Telegraph (79)

James Taylor
-One Man Dog (72)
-Walking Man (74)

Elton John
-Captain Fantastic (75)
-Tumbleweed Connection (70)

Dickey Betts
-Highway Call (74)
-Dickey Betts & Great Southern (77)

Commander Cody - Rock and Roll Again
Arlo Guthrie - Best of
Arlo Guthrie - s/t (74)
The Earl Scruggs Revue (73)
Little Feat - Sailing Shoes (72)
Michael Murphy - s/t (74)
Dan Fogelberg - Phoenix (79)
Ry Cooder - Crossroads
Leo Kottke - Burnt Lips (78)
Jerry Jeff Walker - Viva Terlingua (73)
Jerry Jeff Walker - A Man Must Carry On (1977)
Don McLean - Solo (double LP 1976)
Leon Russell - Stop all that Jazz (1974)
Garcia (1974)
Jim Croce - The Faces I've Been (1975 double LP, also from Terry, and one I've been looking for locally for years)
Joe Cocker - s/t (1970)
Michael Martin Murphy - Best of (1984, with guest John McEuen, Ricky Skaggs, & Dicky Betts among others)

Laserdiscs:
Pink Floyd - Live in Pompeii
Pink Floyd in concert - Delicate Sound of Thunder
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Road Warrior (Mel Gibson)
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Alien - Box Set
Star Trek II - Wrath of Khan
James Bond - Goldfinger (Criterion Collection)
2001 A Space Odyssey (Criterion Collection)
Blade Runner (Criterion Collection)
Blade Runner - Director's Cut
Forbidden Planet (Criterion Collection)
Akira (Criterion Collection)
Rasing Cain (John Lithgow)
The Fear Inside (Christine Lahti, Dylan McDermott)
Relentless 2 - Dead On
Awakenings (R. DeNiro, R. Williams)
Jurassic Park Box Set
Batman - Mask of Phantasm
Watership Down
Dead Again (Emma Thompson)

JDaniel

Mr Peabody
09-10-2007, 06:56 PM
J, if you don't have Charlie Daniels, Million Mile Reflections already, it's a must have, to fill your line up. It's a good album all the way through. I feel the same way about Fire on the Mountain. Marshall Tucker was one of those bands when I listened to their albums I either loved the song or hated it, so I did a lot of skipping around. I have a bunch of their albums, I need to find a way to make a comp. I liked the movie crossroads and bought a Ry Cooder album thinking it would be like that but it wasn't. It was weird and I got rid of it. I also had a Dickie Betts I let go of. I saw Dickie Betts open for Marshall Tucker in concert though, and, man! he was awesome.

Can you still buy a laserdisc player new? If not, what happens when yours breaks and you have all those movies?

JDaniel
09-10-2007, 07:00 PM
J, if you don't have Charlie Daniels, Million Mile Reflections already, it's a must have, to fill your line up. It's a good album all the way through. I feel the same way about Fire on the Mountain.

Can you still buy a laserdisc player new? If not, what happens when yours breaks and you have all those movies?
Yeah, I have Million Mile Reflections, and several others, including most of the Volunteer Jams. I plan out my shopping at a record show, and take a list of everything I have, and fill in holes in my collections.

As for LDPs, I actually have two of them (A Pioneer, and a Magnavox). So I have a backup if needed. But ebay has tons of them, and you can still get them repaired if needed. I'm actually recording the Pink Floyd ~ Live at Pompeii to DVD tonight for a friend. I'm not a PF fan, but thought I'd hang on to these discs. The back cover says the intervies on this disc were filmed in 1972 during the recording of DSOTM.

JDaniel

Mr Peabody
09-10-2007, 07:10 PM
You too organized :)

jrhymeammo
09-10-2007, 07:29 PM
:thumbsup:

Dude, I'm so jealous.
I guess you had to dust off your 16.5.

jra

Mr Peabody
09-11-2007, 10:54 AM
The name of the Brand X album is Masques. It is good. I didn't recognize the drummer but he was up to task. The vinyl was near pristine and sounds great.