Newcastle Brown Ale at the Texas Jerusalem Crossroads [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle Brown Ale at the Texas Jerusalem Crossroads

Davey
09-08-2007, 12:52 PM
This is the story of the three Texas boys busy minding their own bidnis when the Angel of the Lord appeared unto them saying, 'When the Winston Churchills start firin' their Winston rifles into the sky from the lone star state, drinkin' their lone star beer and smokin' their winston cigarettes, know the time is drawin' nigh when the son shall be lifted on high'. We told 'em that didn't sound very Sunday-go-ta-meetin. 'What do you expect when the Lord calls on the crippled, deaf and blind to lead the children of Israel into the promised land'. 'Children of Israel?', we asked. 'Don't you boys know nothin'?, the USA is the center of Jerusalem'.

I hear the train a-comin'

Saturday relaxin with some Brown Ale and Lift To Experience The Texas Jerusalem Crossroads, the above from the opening spoken words of "Just As Was Told". Anyone else enjoy this 2-CD concept album from the early 2000s? Kind of a mix of Godspeed You Black Emperor and ... And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead, fitting names for this religious Texas space rock band's epic release on the obscure British label established by former Cocteau Twins Robin Guthrie and Simon Raymonde, who both do some of the mixing as well.

Raymonde explained,"When I heard the demos, I was staggered by the swagger, the effortlessness of it all. Surely they couldn't really be as cool as they sounded? A plane trip to Texas was next on the agenda, and my fate was sealed. A thunderous show (literally inside a tent during one of the worst storms in Texas history) convinced me that I had to put this record out, but also that I was undoubtedly in the presence of genius. We signed the band within two minutes of them walking off stage".

From Athens to London to Paris to Rome
The stars are going to shine
From here to Palestine
When the angels take flight
Deep from the heart of the dark Texas night
With crippled wings

Rae
09-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Man, I had forgotten about Lift to Experience. That was a cool record, though. Did they ever do anything after that one? I remember planning to see them when they were supposed to come to Minneapolis, but the tour was cancelled for some reason (which I should probably remember, since I think I wrote about it for that site-which-shall-not-be-named) and I never heard about them after that.

I don't think I have a copy of The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads anymore but I'll have to add it to the ol' mental wishlist since I'd like to hear it again.

~Rae

Swish
09-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Tastes kind of bland to me, but I wouldn't pass it up if it was the only thing available. I was out last night and had some Swashbuckler Pale Ale that was possibly the best beer I've tasted this year. The only problem is that they don't distribute it to anyone with the exception of a a few very lucky local pubs. The brewer works for a guy that owns the local Mount Hope Estate and Winery, which also has a huge Renaissance Fair that attracts thousands of people every year. Anyway, I need to find a way to get me some of this this stuff, and I may have found a way via a local friend.

Swish Baby

Davey
09-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Tastes kind of bland to me, but I wouldn't pass it up if it was the only thing available.
Note that I was uncharacteristically quiet about the beer in my post, although it was a much better tasting batch than I remember. I'm like you, I prefer those hoppy pale ales most of the time, especially the crisp, craft-brewed pale ales you get out here on the left coast, full of fragrant, complex Pacific Northwest hops. You've got a pretty nice setup there for a brew lover, being part of the distribution business and all. I suppose those parties and off-hour drinking sessions are probably all tax deductible, eh? Not sure how you get anything else done :crazy:

Swish
09-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Note that I was uncharacteristically quiet about the beer in my post, although it was a much better tasting batch than I remember. I'm like you, I prefer those hoppy pale ales most of the time, especially the crisp, craft-brewed pale ales you get out here on the left coast, full of fragrant, complex Pacific Northwest hops. You've got a pretty nice setup there for a brew lover, being part of the distribution business and all. I suppose those parties and off-hour drinking sessions are probably all tax deductible, eh? Not sure how you get anything else done :crazy:

That's not to say I don't like 'em (Sierra is among my favorites) but I've had plenty out this-a-way to say that with confidence. Just down the road is a fine one in Troegs Pale Ale, and the other direction is Stoudt's American Pale Ale, and that's just getting me started. Actually, one of the best I've tasted is Founder's Pale Ale, and it's not from the West or East Coast. They're located in Grand Rapids and their beers are usually among the highest rated on the Beer Advocate. You may want to locate some real soon.

Swish

bobsticks
09-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Is the Founders from Grand Rapids, Michigan Swishdaddy? I don't remember them being there, but that was many moons ago...

Swish
09-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Is the Founders from Grand Rapids, Michigan Swishdaddy? I don't remember them being there, but that was many moons ago...
...I forgot there was one in MN as well, and I suppose there could be more than two, but I meant MI. The address is actually Founders Brewing Co.648 Monroe Ave. NW Grand Rapids, MI 49503, and the website is http://www.foundersbrewing.com/home.php

Enjoy,
Swish

Swish
09-09-2007, 01:12 PM
You've got a pretty nice setup there for a brew lover, being part of the distribution business and all. I suppose those parties and off-hour drinking sessions are probably all tax deductible, eh? Not sure how you get anything else done :crazy:

...I don't get too involved in the day-to-day operations, but I do take a ride up there (about 30 minutes and no traffic to speak of) at least once per month. My biggest fringe benefit is beer at cost, no free as one might think. We've only owned it since April 2nd, and you have to account for all sales per the strict laws in PA. But, yeah, it's still pretty decent. We had one brewery there Friday afternoon handing out sample tastings of their products, and I got a couple bottles for free to boot. Then we went out to dinner at a pub that is one of our top 10 customers and then to another pub that buys from a distributor that is further away than our place and who never stops in at their place. We just introduced ourselves, drank a couple beers and offered our services. Fun stuff for sure!

Swish

Davey
09-01-2011, 07:37 AM
That was a cool record, though. Did they ever do anything after that one?

I guess the answer was a little slow in coming, but fortunately now the answer is a bit more clear, and is kind of yes. Here's a little bit of the in-between from the Glorious Noise (http://gloriousnoise.com/post/josh_t_pearson_last_of_the_cou) site as context for the review of the amazing new one from Josh Pearson...one of my favorites this year, beautiful record, but pretty much as sad as they come...which means just about perfect for my musical taste...

The back-story goes like this: Josh T. Pearson pulls the plug on the promising Lift To Experience band after one double album and a year of such enormous tragedy that it gets the band members to consider “Maybe this is a sign from a higher being that we should wrap it before things really get bad.”

For a man like Pearson – someone raised in a family with religious convictions – a sign from above is not something to ignore or take lightly.

During a nearly decadelong sabbatical, Pearson released only one song – an appropriate cover of a Hank Williams’ tune. Occasionally, he’d play a gig or two for fifty bucks, purposely avoiding the road to additional notoriety.

But at one show, he noticed that his epic tales of inner turmoil even brought tears to a pair of surely Irish meatheads. It was then that Josh T. Pearson decided he needed to record the material, because he realized that the music he created to resolve his own demons was powerful enough to emit a cathartic response in others.

Last Of The Country Gentlemen is sixty-minutes long with only seven songs to choose from. Do the math, and you’ll see that this means you’re in for a long ride. And with only Pearson’s last-call drawl and barely there instrumentation underneath, you’re going to need a moment or two to fully engulf this understated masterpiece.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WxwomWycL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

BTW, sample song from Last Of The Country Gentlemen up at my Song of the Day site linked in sig (or will be shortly if download link not active yet). Check out that Shona Foster track too, good stuff. Very nice sounding CD. Her debut is another favorite from this year.

Hyfi
09-01-2011, 08:00 AM
That's not to say I don't like 'em (Sierra is among my favorites) but I've had plenty out this-a-way to say that with confidence. Just down the road is a fine one in Troegs Pale Ale, and the other direction is Stoudt's American Pale Ale, and that's just getting me started. Actually, one of the best I've tasted is Founder's Pale Ale, and it's not from the West or East Coast. They're located in Grand Rapids and their beers are usually among the highest rated on the Beer Advocate. You may want to locate some real soon.

Swish

You gotta try the Firestone Walker Double Jack if you like IPAs.

Rae
09-01-2011, 11:28 AM
I guess the answer was a little slow in coming, but fortunately now the answer is a bit more clear, and is kind of yes.

Oh whoa! Thanks, Davey! Looks like it came out back in March... hope the vinyl is still in print.

~Rae

Stone
09-02-2011, 06:28 AM
How did I miss this thread? Founders is one of the best in this area of the U.S., IMO (but Bell's has some fine beer too). I have no idea why, but there are some high quality breweries in this area of Michigan.

Oh, and I had forgotten about Lift To Experience too. I think I have a CD-R of an album of theirs someone sent me. I'll have to look for that this weekend.

Davey
09-02-2011, 07:40 AM
Oh whoa! Thanks, Davey! Looks like it came out back in March... hope the vinyl is still in print.

~Rae

The record probably sounds nice, double LP on 180gm vinyl. The CD is mastered nicely, good levels, and the recording is pretty much live in the studio, recorded over 2 days in Berlin, with just a hint of reverb, maybe both natural and added, but gives it a nice warmth and fullness, especially on a good set of phones. Cause it is mostly a quiet record, just Josh and his guitar, nothing like Lift To Experience. The strings on "Woman, When I've Raised Hell" are a very nice addition, and note one of the players is Warren Ellis, whose violin is hard to miss. Good interview at Last of The Country Gentlemen: a Josh T. Pearson interview By Ian Johnston : Louder Than War (http://louderthanwar.com/featured/last-of-the-country-gentlemen-a-josh-t-pearson-interview-by-ian-johnston) ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was in Berlin where Pearson recorded Last Of The Country Gentlemen, over two very cold days in February last year. “I went there to check out a studio, a friend of mine had,” Pearson recalls. “He’d just built a new one. They kinda have makeshift studios everywhere. He’s got it all fixed up. It’s expensive in Paris. London too, I don’t know how you live here. Anyway, I went there and it felt like home. It took two days to record but it took two months to recover between the days. I recorded it one day, recorded it and played it the second day and then we put the strings on it in London. We had to get out of there, wait until I was ready and to say, ’OK, let’s do it.’ The songs were done live…. It was recorded in Berlin because it was cheap. And the songs sort of began there so I wanted to go back. I spent a couple of years in Berlin. I wanted to go back.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Written & performed by Josh T. Pearson. Published by Mute Song Ltd.

Produced by Peter Sasala.

Recorded by Martin J. Fiedler at Klangbild Studios, Berlin.

Mixed by Gareth Jones at Mute Studio, London. Assisted by Neil Quinlan. Except 'Sweetheart I Ain't Your Christ' mixed by Martin J. Fiedler at Klangbild Studios, Berlin.

Additional recording & mixing by David 'Saxon' Greenep at Mute Studio, London.

Strings arranged & performed by Mike Siddell (3,6), Warren Ellis & (3,4), Will Calderbank (3) & SixToes (4).

Rae
09-02-2011, 09:46 AM
I'ma order it and let you know what I think.

Warren Ellis is on this?? That makes for one beardy record. Josh T. Pearson and Warren Ellis should have a beard-off.

http://www.neverenoughnotes.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/josh_t_pearson.jpg
http://www.voxpopmag.com/wp-content/uploads/Warren-Ellis-Sophie-Jarry-Voxpop-1.jpg

~Rae