DariusNYC appreciation thread [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DariusNYC appreciation thread

Rae
09-08-2007, 12:45 PM
What a cool guy. I've always admired the way you're willing to jump in swinging whenever someone makes a noisome comment about the the validity of hip-hop or pop music or trots out the same boring cult of rockdom that posits that anything worthwhile was produced over three decades ago. I also have mad respect for the way you never let an off-handed putdown of race or lifestyle slip by uncontested. We don't always agree-- you seem to look at pop music sometimes as ethnography; I agree with you to an extent, but I question how popular acceptance can validate art in a system that is intent on imposing tastes upon the consuming public (that treats pop music, to paraphrase The Roots, as "disposable; not maximized as product, not to mention art"). Still, for all the cogent arguments that you make about why pop matters, I also admire the way you have a geniune enthusiasm for it on a purely aesthetic level as well. I've always clicked on yr posts over the years knowing that if they didn't make me think, they'd at least make me smile (just this week, you elicited an audible chuckle simply with the words "The Ramones", and I'm still laughing years later about the way you described some rock dinosaur (I don't even remember who) as "not exactly having beers with Lou Reed"). Oh, and you bought me a ticket to see Wilco at Irving Plaza one time. So there it is-- Mr. M, You Are Appreciated!

~Rae

Davey
09-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Yea, I like Darius. Comes off as a little too morally superior at times, and a bit too elitst in his putdowns of those of us that don't care much about pop culture, but still cool enough for Rave Recs (as long as he doesn't label me a bigot for not buying the latest Common record) :2:

Still love his new wave comp.

Rae
09-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about some of those great comps from years gone by! Are you referencing the Building on Fire disc? Awesome comp! Still listening to it years later! And Not Music has got to be one of the definitive issuances from early RaveRec years.

~Rae

3-LockBox
09-09-2007, 01:01 AM
get a room

Ex Lion Tamer
09-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Yea, I like Darius. Comes off as a little too morally superior at times, and a bit too elitst in his putdowns of those of us that don't care much about pop culture, but still cool enough for Rave Recs (as long as he doesn't label me a bigot for not buying the latest Common record) :2:

Still love his new wave comp.

Yeah, as morally superior elitists snobs go; Darius is the tops.

GMichael
09-10-2007, 09:56 AM
I feel like I'm missing something here.

Rae
09-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Yeah, as morally superior elitists snobs go; Darius is the tops.

That's kind of like saying "you're the coolest guy in Ottawa," I suppose...

~Rae

bobsticks
09-10-2007, 02:33 PM
I am, in fact and without a doubt, the best ice skater in Ecuador.

GMichael
09-10-2007, 05:02 PM
I am, in fact and without a doubt, the best ice skater in Ecuador.

Hope ya got a good set of water wings.

DariusNYC
09-18-2007, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Rae, my friend. I guess I don't post too often anymore, and I feel like I haven't given a long or detailed post in a really long time -- most of my recent posts have been one- or two-liners. But I try to stop by relatively often, and I do read music recommendations and see what my old virtual friends are up to: You, Troy, MindGoneHaywire, Davey, BradH and several others.

I fall into a moralistic mode sometimes, that I always at least semi-regret afterwards, but I take comfort in knowing that my criticisms, or "calling people" on things they say, are almost always in response to someone disrespecting or or dissing a particular type of music or artist or song, almost never in response to someone saying something positive about a type of music or artist or song. In other words, I know I'm annoying sometimes, but at least I'm arguing on the side of people respecting or appreciating (if not always liking) more music or more types of music, not less. And as this is a site for music lovers, I don't consider that too unforgivable of a crime!

BradH
09-18-2007, 10:42 AM
For God's Sake! Leave Darius alone. PLEASE!!

Davey
09-18-2007, 10:57 AM
For God's Sake! Leave Darius alone. PLEASE!!

Well, yeah, sure he put on a few pounds since getting married, but ya know, seriously, maybe it does smell of rockism, but I was really just criticizing his lame dance moves :incazzato: